Hyrra Features the Latest and Most Talked-About Topstories News and Headlines from Around the World.
⎯ 《 Hyrra • Com 》

List of All Articles with Tag 'rica'

Indonesia’s Population to Fall Behind Nigeria’s by 2045
Indonesia’s Population to Fall Behind Nigeria’s by 2045
Indonesia is set to lose its title as the world’s fourth-most populous nation by 2045 amid slowing birth
2023-05-17 09:24
Eight in 10 South African children struggle to read by age of 10
Eight in 10 South African children struggle to read by age of 10
Eight in 10 students have issues with literacy, the lowest performance in a study of 57 countries.
2023-05-17 08:19
Argentina: VP Cristina Fernández says she won't run for president
Argentina: VP Cristina Fernández says she won't run for president
Argentine Vice President Cristina Fernández made it official Tuesday that she will not be running for president again, putting the brakes on an effort by members of her party to push her to become a candidate in the October election. Fernández, who was president 2007-2015, made her decision public through a statement published on her website in which she slammed the judiciary, accusing the courts of trying to forbid her from running for office again as part of an alliance with the opposition. With her decision, the center-left Fernández throws the ruling Peronist party into disarray amid uncertainty over who could be its candidate in this year’s presidential elections. President Alberto Fernández, whose tenure has been marked by an ongoing economic crisis that has included a sharp devaluation of the local currency and annual inflation of more than 100%, already said last month he would not be seeking reelection. “I will not be a puppet of those in power for the sake of any candidacy. I have demonstrated, like no one else, that I prioritize the collective project over personal ambitions,” Cristina Fernández said. The 70-year-old vice president said she’s prevented from running for office by a prison sentence of six years and a lifelong ban from holding public office she received late last year as part of a case involving corruption through public works during her presidency. She has denied all charges and the ruling still has to be confirmed by higher courts before it becomes effective. “I will not engage in the perverse game they impose on us under the guise of democracy,” she wrote. Allies of the vice president have been pushing for her to run for the presidency and regularly chant “President Cristina” during her public appearances. Although Fernández, who is not related to current president Alberto Fernández, had already said she wouldn’t run for president, she often played coy in public speeches. The vice president published her statement days before allies had announced a big rally in downtown Buenos Aires on May 25, which is a national holiday in Argentina, to push her to run. With both the president and vice president out of the running, all eyes are now likely to set on Economy Minister Sergio Massa, a center-right Peronist who has long had presidential ambitions although his tenure in the office he took on last year has not gone as he hoped. Massa had said his goal was for monthly inflation to decelerate to 3% by April. Instead, it accelerated to 8.4%. Read More Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide
2023-05-17 08:18
Asia Stocks Set for Mixed Open; US Futures Muted: Markets Wrap
Asia Stocks Set for Mixed Open; US Futures Muted: Markets Wrap
Asian equities look set for mixed start Wednesday while US contracts posted muted gains after leaders in Washington
2023-05-17 07:47
Why Somalia's once-banned boxing thrives in the former warzone
Why Somalia's once-banned boxing thrives in the former warzone
Somalia's only official boxing club offers a haven for a group of young people in Mogadishu.
2023-05-17 07:18
New Mexico gunman identified as 18-year-old high school student Beau Wilson
New Mexico gunman identified as 18-year-old high school student Beau Wilson
Authorities in New Mexico have identified a gunman who killed three and wounded six others in Farmington on Monday as 18-year-old high school student Beau Wilson. The teenager was armed with three weapons including an AR-15-style rifle when he began firing randomly at passing cars in the suburb where he lived, said Deputy Police Chief Baric Crum said at a news conference on Tuesday. He was killed by police after wounding two officers. Police said the three victims included 97-year-old Gwendolyn Schofield, and her daughter Melody Ivie, 73, who died at the scene after their car was fired upon. A third women, 79-yearold Shirley Voita, died in hospital. Mr Crum said the shooter had also struck several homes while firing indiscriminately. Police said they had no knowledge of any link between Wilson and there three victims, and were “pretty confident it was completely random”. One of the weapons used in the shooting had been legally purchased by Wilson in November, Deputy Police Chief Kyle Dowdy said. Wilson obtained one of the other weapons from a family member. Mr Dowdy said that family members had told them that Wilson may have been suffering from mental health issues. “The amount of violence and brutality that these people faced is unconscionable to me,” Mr Dowdy said. “I don’t care what age you are, I don’t care what else is going on in your life, to kill three innocent elderly women that were just absolutely in no position to defend themselves is always going to be a tragedy.” Wilson, who wrestled competitively at high school, had minor brushes with the law as a juvenile, Mr Dowdy said. Wilson, a Farmington High School senior, roamed across a quarter mile area of the city near downtown just before 11am targeting “whatever entered his head to shoot at”, Police Chief Steve Hebbe said in a taped statement on Monday night. Police received the first 911 calls at about 10.57am. Officers arrived at the scene at 11.02am, and four officers fired 16 rounds at the gunmen, San Juan County Sheriff Shane Ferrari said. Wilson was killed at about 11.05am. Farmington Mayor Nate Duckett praised three officers who had been at lunch and responded to the shooting without body armour during the press conference. He said that many examples of bravery by law enforcement officers had saved “countless lives”. He said he hoped the city could come together to heal, adding that the “community was shaken to the core.” Two officers wounded in the shooting, a Farmington officer and state police officer, had been released from hospital, Mr Duckett added. According to the Gun Violence Archive, there have been 225 mass shootings in the United States in 2023. Read More New Mexico shooter, 18, roamed community armed with three guns firing randomly at cars and homes, police say A pregnant woman reported her boyfriend’s abuse. He wasn’t arrested until after her murder over an abortion Texas boy, 12, accused of fatally shooting Sonic employee with assault rifle after he asked friend to stop urinating in parking lot
2023-05-17 05:46
Texas boy, 12, charged with fatally shooting Sonic employee over urine complaint
Texas boy, 12, charged with fatally shooting Sonic employee over urine complaint
A 12-year-old boy has been charged with murder after he allegedly shot and killed a Sonic employee in northern Texas, police said. The boy and a 20-year-old, Angel Gomez, visited a Sonic restaurant in Keene, Texas on Sunday night. Mr Gomez allegedly began acting unruly in the parking lot and began urinating near the restaurant, prompting an employee, Matthew Davis, 32, to confront him, according to CBS News. The confrontation between Mr Davis and Mr Gomez escalated into violence, at which point the 12-year-old allegedly grabbed an assault rifle the two had been traveling with and shot the Sonic employee several times, according to police. The boy fired at least six shots from the rifle, according to KTVT's reporting. Mr Gomez and the 12-year-old then fled the scene. Police were called in response to the shooting, where they found Mr Davis lying in the parking lot around 9:40pm. Mr Davis was reportedly struggling to breathe when they found him. He was rushed to a hospital for surgery but ultimately died from his injuries. Mr Gomez reportedly returned to the Sonic after the shooting and was arrested on murder charges. Police then tracked down the juvenile in Rio Vista, approximately 15 miles away, and took him into custody on murder charges. Law enforcement searched the home and located several firearms. A cross was erected and flowers have been left at the Sonic in memory of Mr Davis, who was the father to a 10-year-old son, according to NBC5. Jane Baggett, a local resident who stopped by the Sonic to contribute to the memorial, said she was regretful there was nothing more the community could do for Mr Davis. “I wish there was more that we could do, but right now if they could just see that support and love, and maybe, even if we didn’t know him, [know] his life mattered to many of us,” she told NBC5. A spokesperson for Sonic also released a statement acknowledging the attack. “We are saddened to learn about the tragedy involving a franchised team member in Keene, TX. The franchisee is cooperating fully with local authorities as they conduct their investigation.” A GoFundMe has been established to help pay for Mr Davis' funeral costs. Read More New Mexico shooter, 18, roamed community armed with three guns firing randomly at cars and homes, police say A pregnant woman reported her boyfriend’s abuse. He wasn’t arrested until after her murder over an abortion New Mexico gunman who killed 3 and injured 6 shot randomly at cars, houses, police say
2023-05-17 04:47
Hertz apologizes after refusing rental to Puerto Rican
Hertz apologizes after refusing rental to Puerto Rican
Hertz has apologized to a Puerto Rican customer after one of its employees refused to rent him a car he had paid for in advance because he did not show her his passport.
2023-05-17 03:16
Stalker on trial for hiding in OnlyFans model’s attic claims ‘she liked it’
Stalker on trial for hiding in OnlyFans model’s attic claims ‘she liked it’
A Pennsylvania man who has been accused of hiding in an OnlyFans model's attic told a judge that she wanted his attention, according to court documents. Mauricio Guerrero, 19, appeared for a hearing on Friday in Stafford County Superior Court in Dover, Pennsylvania, according to WMUR. Mr Guerrero was charged with four counts of burglary for allegedly breaking into a woman's house, photographing her while she slept and hiding in her attic. Mr Guerrero met the woman on the website OnlyFans in 2021. The defendant told the judge that the woman wanted him to be "obsessed" with her, and to act like "a stalker." He said that "she liked it," ascribing his actions to their dynamic. During testimony on Thursday, the victim said she was often drunk when she chatted with Mr Guerrero on the website, and said she does not remember many of their conversations. Mr Guerrero recounted his version of their conversations. “We talked about meeting up, about me coming up. Between that we talked about having intercourse,” he said. Prosecutors claim that Mr Guerrero traveled to her home in New Hampshire six times, and noted the victim refused to see him several times. She admitted that on one visit they did spend time together and had sex. She told the court she continued communicating with him because she liked the way their conversations made him feel. Mr Guerrero's defence team claim he believed the two were in a relationship based on the pair's conversations. When they asked him how he got into the house, he said he entered through the house's back door, and admitted he "tried to use the crowbar." Mr Guerrero was arrested on 9 February after the victim called police to report that she heard someone in her home. "Officers on scene located a male suspect on the roof of the residence. After an on-scene investigation, the male was taken into custody for the charge of Burglary. The investigation was furthered, and information was obtained that the suspect was known to the victim from online social media," the Somersworth Police Department said in a statement posted to its Facebook page. Police said at the time that Mr Guerrero had been staying at an Airbnb in Portsmouth, and that he was in the home "with the intent to commit theft and invasion of privacy." Investigators found a video on his phone of the victim sleeping naked in her bed. Mr Guerrero admitted to recording the video, and the victim said she never gave him permission to film her, according to a detective's affidavit. Police said the victim initially agreed to meet with Mr Guerrero because he had offered to buy her a TV and a fireplace for her apartment. “She said he seemed nice at first and she gave him her address because he wanted to buy her a TV and fireplace for her apartment in Dover,” a police affidavit explains. “She never really wanted to meet him, but he was very pushy.” Read More Pennsylvania man charged with hiding in OnlyFans model’s attic and secretly filming her OnlyFans star Christina Ashten Gourkani dies of heart attack after ‘medical procedure’, aged 34 OnlyFans model files $6.3bn revenge porn lawsuit against ex-boyfriend after he posted graphic images following split
2023-05-17 02:51
Shocking video captures suspect in attack on Virginia congressman’s staff chasing woman with baseball bat
Shocking video captures suspect in attack on Virginia congressman’s staff chasing woman with baseball bat
The man suspected of attacking Virginia congressman Gerry Connolly’s staff with a baseball bat appears to have been captured on a doorbell camera chasing a woman with a baseball bat just minutes before the attack at Mr Connolly’s office. The footage, uploaded to Twitter, shows a woman screaming while running through a person’s backyard, while being chased by a man holding a bat. Just minutes later, around 10.50 am, on Monday a suspect turned up at Mr Connolly’s district office and attacked two of his staffers with a metal baseball bat, striking one on the head and the other on the side. It is unclear if the metal baseball bat used to attack the staffers was the same bat that appears in the doorbell footage video. The suspect was identified as 49-year-old Xuan-Kha Tran Pham by the City of Fairfax Police Department. According to a statement from Mr Connolly, the two staffers who were hit received “non-life threatening injures” and were transported to the hospital. One police officer also sustained minor injuries. “I have the best team in Congress. My District Office staff make themselves available to constituents and members of the public every day. The thought that someone would take advantage of my staff’s accessibility to commit an act of violence is unconscionable and devastating,” Mr Connolly said in a statement. Fairfax Police said they arrived within five minutes of the call to police and took Mr Pham into custody. He is currently being held at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center without bail on warrants of one count of felony aggravated malicious wounding and malicious wounding. Police are unsure of the motive behind the attack on the staffers, but said they were coordinating with the US Capitol Police and Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Washington Field Office. The attack is the latest in a string of violent threats made against members of Congress. In February, Representative Angie Craig (D-MN) was attacked outside her Washington DC apartment. Last year, a man attacked then-Representative Lee Zeldin (R-NY) who was campaigning for governor at the time. In addition, a man broke into the San Francisco home of then-Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and assaulted her husband Paul Pelosi. Read More A suspect looking for a Virginia congressman attacked two of his staffers with a baseball bat. What happened? Congressman’s staffers hospitalised after baseball bat attack at Virginia office An assault on congressional staff shows how all too commonplace political violence has become What we know about baseball bat attack on Virginia congressman’s staff Biden to mark Jewish American Heritage Month with Broadway stars, speak out on antisemitism Man with baseball bat attacks Virginia congressman's staffers; suspect in custody
2023-05-16 22:22
Abducted Illinois girl found six years later after store owner recognised her from Netflix show
Abducted Illinois girl found six years later after store owner recognised her from Netflix show
A young girl who was abducted by her mother in Illinois has finally been found safe six years later after a North Carolina store owner recognised her from a Netflix show. Kayla Unbehaun was nine years old when she vanished without a trace while in the care of her mother Heather Unhebhaun. It was 4 July 2017 and Kayla had gone for a visit with her mother, who only had visitation rights and not full custody of her daughter. The next day, Kayla’s father – who had full custody – went to pick her up from her mother’s house in Wheaton, Illinois, to find his daughter and her mother missing. A search was launched to track down the abducted child but, for years, the trail went cold. But Kayla’s story wasn’t forgotten and the case was featured in an episode of Netflix’s “Unsolved Mysteries” series, titled “Abducted by a Parent”. Last month, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) then released an age-progression photo to show how Kayla may look now at the age of 15. Now, almost six years on, a chance sighting more than 600 miles away in North Carolina has finally led authorities to locate the missing child. An unidentified owner of a store in Asheville had spotted Kayla, now aged 15, in a local shopping centre and recognised her from the Netflix show, reported WSOC. The Good Samaritan called police who found Kayla and took her into protective custody. Ms Unbehaun was arrested and charged with one count of child abduction, according to the Kane County State’s Attorney’s Office. She is being held on $250,000 bond and further charges are also possible. The NCMEC – which posted alerts to try to find Kayla over the past five-plus years – shared a message from Kayla’s father celebrating the news that his daughter had been found safe. “I’m overjoyed that Kayla is home safe. I want to thank the South Elgin Police Department, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children and all of the law enforcement agencies who assisted with her case,” he said. “We ask for privacy as we get to know each other again and navigate this new beginning.” Over the years, Kayla’s father Ryan had continued to promote his daughter’s case on the Facebook page “Bring Kayla Home”. On 6 January, he posted a birthday message to his missing daughter and spoke of his hopes that they would be reunited soon. “Happy 15th birthday, Kayla. I love you and miss you so much. I can’t wait for the day that I get to see you again, hoping each day I wake up will be the day,” he said. “It could never come soon enough. I think of you every day hoping and praying that you are safe, happy and that you will come back into my life soon.” Read More Lori Vallow has been convicted of her children’s murders. What happens next? Missing boy, 4, found dead after search in South Boston Lori Vallow is facing life in prison for her children’s murders. We only know one side of the story
2023-05-16 20:53
Russia, Ukraine agree African mission on potential peace plan, Ramaphosa says
Russia, Ukraine agree African mission on potential peace plan, Ramaphosa says
CAPE TOWN South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said on Tuesday that Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Ukrainian
2023-05-16 19:23
«209210211»