Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba provisionally suspended for anti-doping offence
Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba has been provisionally suspended by Italy’s national anti-doping tribunal after returning an adverse sample. The France international tested positive for testosterone in a random drugs test following Juventus’ Serie A game against Udinese on August 20, when he was an unused substitute. After the Italian anti-doping body issued a statement on Monday evening confirming Pogba’s suspension, Juventus said the club would now consider “the next procedural steps”. If found guilty of doping, a suspension of between two and four years could be handed out to Pogba. “Juventus Football Club announces that today, September 11, 2023, the footballer Paul Labile Pogba received a precautionary suspension order from the National Anti-Doping Tribunal following the results of tests carried out on August 20, 2023,” a statement from the Serie A side read. “The club reserves the right to consider the next procedural steps.” Italy’s national anti-doping tribunal confirmed Pogba’s positive sample for testosterone. A statement from the anti-doping body read: “The National Antidoping Tribunal informs that, in acceptance of the instance proposed by the National Antidoping Prosecutor, it has provided for the provisional suspension of the athlete: Paul Labile Pogba (FIGC) for the violation of articles 2.1, 2.2; prohibited substance detected: Non-endogenous testosterone metabolites (The GC/c/IRMS results are consistent with the exogenous origin of the target compounds).” Earlier on Monday, former Manchester United midfielder Pogba said he was almost driven to walk away from football after allegedly being blackmailed by an organised crime gang. The 30-year-old’s brother Mathias was detained in September 2022 on suspicion of involvement in the alleged plot, which Paul Pogba claimed amounted to a bid to extort £11.1million from him. Mathias Pogba was released in December and denies the charges. Sometimes it's tough. This life, you have to go through it. It will only make me stronger. Paul Pogba Paul Pogba reported the incident to Turin prosecutors in July of last year, shortly after leaving Manchester United on a free transfer in order to rejoin Juventus. Speaking to Al Jazeera, Paul Pogba said: “When there is money you have to be careful. Money changes people. It can break up a family. It can create a war. “Sometimes I was just by myself thinking: ‘I don’t want to have money anymore. I just don’t want to play anymore. I just want to be with normal people, so they will love me for me – not for the fame, not for the money.’ “Sometimes it’s tough. This life, you have to go through it. It will only make me stronger.” Laure Beccuau, a Paris prosecutor, said the investigation was looking into allegations of “blackmail by an armed gang, kidnapping and membership of a criminal conspiracy”. Mathias Pogba is himself a professional footballer, with the 33-year-old having represented Crewe, Crawley, Wrexham and Partick Thistle, as well as the national team of Guinea. He is currently without a club after leaving French lower-league side Belfort in 2022. Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Football rumours: Jadon Sancho looking to leave Manchester United Luis Rubiales resignation has to be ‘the start of something’, says Georgia Stanway On this day in 2005: England end 18-year wait to win back Ashes after Oval draw
2023-09-12 15:50
Football rumours: Jadon Sancho looking to leave Manchester United
What the papers say After failed talks with manager Erik ten Hag, Manchester United winger Jadon Sancho is looking set to leave the club after the pair could not settle their differences, The Star reports. Sancho has played three games for the club this season. The Daily Mail says the club is looking at signing former Ajax, Aston Villa and Everton winger Anwar El Ghazi . The 28-year-old from the Netherlands is a free agent after leaving PSV Eindhoven. Germany have placed former Bayern Munich manager Julian Nagelsmann and former Manchester United and Netherlands manager Louis van Gaal on their shortlist after Hansi Flick was sacked from the role, according to the Mirror. Social media round-up Player to watch Ousmane Diomande: Arsenal had a rejected bid worth £30million for the 19-year-old Sporting CP defender but will make another attempt next year, the Metro reports. Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live
2023-09-12 14:27
Juan Soto hits a 3-run homer in the ninth, and Padres rally to stun weary Dodgers 11-8
Juan Soto hit a tiebreaking three-run homer in the ninth inning, and the San Diego Padres rallied from an early five-run deficit for an 11-8 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers
2023-09-12 13:56
Giants rally past Guardians 5-4 in 10 innings to keep pace in NL wild-card chase
LaMonte Wade Jr. blooped a single in front of sliding center fielder Myles Straw in the 10th inning to drive in Blake Sabol with the winning run as the San Francisco Giants rallied past the Cleveland Guardians 5-4
2023-09-12 13:56
Luis Rubiales resignation has to be ‘the start of something’ – Georgia Stanway
England star Georgia Stanway insists the resignation of Spanish football federation president Luis Rubiales has to be “the start of something, not the end of something”. Rubiales finally announced he was quitting as president of the RFEF on Sunday night, three weeks after he kissed Spain midfielder Jenni Hermoso on the lips during the World Cup final trophy presentation in Sydney. And it was reported on Monday evening that an investigation into Rubiales has been opened by a high court judge in Spain. Hermoso formally submitted a complaint about Rubiales to Spain’s national prosecutor’s office last week before a complaint of sexual assault and an allegation of coercion was then filed by the office to the high court. On Monday, the high court reportedly accepted the complaint and will now decide whether to recommend that the case should go to trial or be dismissed. Hermoso has said she had not consented to the kiss, but Rubiales spent the last three weeks standing firm in saying he would not quit over the incident despite the opening of disciplinary proceedings by football’s world governing body FIFA and the instigation of a criminal complaint in the Spanish courts. Stanway was part of the England team beaten by Hermoso and her team-mates in Sydney, and hopes the controversy over how this matter has been handled has a wider impact than just being the eventual trigger for Rubiales’ exit. “Everybody’s fought and we fought as a women’s football group,” Stanway said. “We fought as players, we’ve fought as staff, we’ve fought as journalists for the outcome to be what it is. “Obviously, the outcome is what we want. But at the same time, we want this to be the start of something, rather than the end of something. “We want to continue to be able to have these conversations, to feel comfortable to have these conversations, feel comfortable in your workplace, to be able to stand up for whatever you think is right.” Rubiales had told an RFEF emergency general assembly on August 25 that he would not quit his post, but was provisionally suspended by FIFA the following day pending an investigation into his conduct. As well as kissing Hermoso, Rubiales was also pictured grabbing his groin in celebration of the World Cup win while standing metres from Spain’s Queen Letizia and her teenage daughter. Rubiales posted on the social media platform X on Sunday night: “After the rapid suspension carried out by FIFA, plus the rest of proceedings open against me, it is evident that I will not be able to return to my position. “Insisting on waiting and holding on is not going to contribute to anything positive, neither to the federation nor to Spanish football. “I have faith in the truth and I will do everything in my power to prevail. “My daughters, my family and the people who love me have suffered the effects of excessive persecution, as well as many falsehoods, but it is also true that on the street, more and more every day, the truth is prevailing.” Rubiales has also done an interview with chat show host Piers Morgan concerning the matter, which is due to air on Tuesday evening. There has been no public statement yet from Hermoso, nor from the rest of the Spain squad who had said they would not represent their country while Rubiales remained in post. UEFA issued a statement on Monday night, noting Rubiales’ resignation and thanking him for his “service to European football”. The governing body said: “UEFA takes note of Luis Rubiales’ resignation with immediate effect from his position as UEFA Vice-President and UEFA Executive Committee member, which was due to end in 2027. UEFA acknowledges the public discourse surrounding Mr. Rubiales and his recent actions but would also like to thank him for his many years of service to European football UEFA statement “UEFA acknowledges the public discourse surrounding Mr. Rubiales and his recent actions but would also like to thank him for his many years of service to European football. “In view of the ongoing legal proceedings, UEFA has no further comments to make on this matter.” Spain are due to play Sweden and Switzerland in the Nations League on September 22 and 26. Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Luis Rubiales resignation has to be ‘the start of something’, says Georgia Stanway On this day in 2005: England end 18-year wait to win back Ashes after Oval draw New York Jets overcome Aaron Rodgers’ early exit to defeat Buffalo Bills
2023-09-12 13:50
Grichuk has RBI single to key Angels' three-run 11th in 8-5 win over Mariners
Randal Grichuk drove in the go-ahead run with an RBI single in the top of the 11th inning and the Los Angeles Angels beat the Seattle Mariners 8-5
2023-09-12 13:49
Bills' Josh Allen has one of his worst days in the NFL in a loss to the Rodgers-less Jets
After Aaron Rodgers went down with an Achilles tendon injury early in his debut with the Jets, the Buffalo Bills seemingly had an easy path to a season-opening win at MetLife Stadium
2023-09-12 13:47
Yandy Díaz hits his 20th homer as Tampa Bay Rays beat Minnesota Twins 7-4
Yandy Díaz connected for his 20th homer and finished with four hits, helping the Tampa Bay Rays beat the Minnesota Twins 7-4
2023-09-12 12:55
Yan Gomes gets key hit as Chicago Cubs top Colorado Rockies 5-4
Yan Gomes hit a two-run single in the ninth inning and Michael Fulmer stepped up at the very end, helping the Chicago Cubs top the Colorado Rockies 5-4
2023-09-12 12:47
Cubs place closer Alzolay on the 15-day IL and promote top prospect Crow-Armstrong from minors
The Chicago Cubs have placed closer Adbert Alzolay on the 15-day injured list and promoted top prospect Pete Crow-Armstrong from Triple-A Iowa
2023-09-12 12:46
Waldichuk holds Astros hitless in relief, A's launch 3 homers in 4-0 win to avoid 100th loss
Ken Waldichuk pitched six hitless innings in relief and Brent Rooker hit the first of three home runs by the Oakland Athletics in their 4-0 victory over the Houston Astros
2023-09-12 12:00
Houston Rockets guard Kevin Porter Jr. arrested in New York on assault charges
Houston Rockets guard Kevin Porter Jr. was arrested Monday on suspicion of assaulting a 26-year-old woman in New York, according to the New York City Police Department.
2023-09-12 11:58
