Cricket World Cup host India looks to end 12-year one-day international trophy drought
The Cricket World Cup returns to India after 12 years next week with the hosts desperately seeking to end its trophy drought at major ICC events
2023-09-28 08:26
Lionel Messi ruled out for Inter Miami's US Open Cup final match
Lionel Messi was not on Inter Miami’s roster for the U.S. Open Cup final against Houston on Wednesday night, marking the fourth match for club and country that he’s missed in recent weeks while dealing with some sort of leg issue
2023-09-28 08:25
Winless Broncos put historic loss in rearview as they prepare for basement brawl with Bears
The Denver Broncos returned to work Wednesday looking ahead to their trip to Chicago this weekend for their basement brawl between winless teams and not behind at their historic 70-20 loss at Miami
2023-09-28 08:21
Saints' Alvin Kamara 'explosive' in return to practice. Derek Carr's status uncertain
Saints star running back Alvin Kamara says he feels physically as fresh as if he were in college again as he returns from his three-game suspension
2023-09-28 07:52
Playoff-chasing Marlins routed by Mets 11-2 in first game of doubleheader
Pete Alonso was 4 for 4 with a homer, Francisco Lindor also went deep and drove in four runs, and the New York Mets pounded the playoff-chasing Miami Marlins 11-2 in the first game of a doubleheader
2023-09-28 07:29
The Bills' defensive front is eager to prove it's bigger than just Von Miller
The Buffalo Bills' defensive front has been pretty solid so far this season even without injured pass rusher Von Miller
2023-09-28 07:24
Ronnie Stanley, Tyler Linderbaum, Marcus Williams and Gus Edwards back at practice for the Ravens
Tackle Ronnie Stanley and center Tyler Linderbaum have returned to practice for the Baltimore Ravens in what could be a big boost to their offensive line
2023-09-28 07:15
AC Milan takes 1st formal step to moving away from iconic San Siro and into new stadium
AC Milan has taken the first formal step to moving away from the iconic San Siro, which it shares with Inter Milan, and building a new stadium in the southern part of the city
2023-09-28 06:55
Tua Tagovailoa's leadership key in Miami Dolphins' offensive success
Tua Tagovailoa's leadership growth has been notable so far this season
2023-09-28 06:54
Eddie Howe ends his Pep Guardiola hoodoo as Newcastle knock out Man City
Eddie Howe was delighted to finally get the better of Pep Guardiola as he steered Newcastle past Manchester City into the Carabao Cup fourth round. Last season’s beaten finalists triumphed 1-0 at St James’ Park, and then saw themselves drawn against City’s derby rivals Manchester United – their conquerors at Wembley in February – at Old Trafford. For Magpies head coach Howe, it was a first win in 14 attempts against Guardiola as a manager, but that was not his main cause for celebration. Howe said: “Yes, my record against him isn’t good, so it’s nice to win, but most importantly it’s not about that it’s about trying to progress in the competition and I’m delighted with the players, delighted with the efforts that they gave. “It was a very difficult game for us in that first half, I thought they played very well. I thought we defended very well – we had to because we struggled, didn’t have much rhythm. “But then the second half was a totally different performance. The balance of of the team was much better and I’m delighted with everyone’s commitment to the game.” While Howe chose to rest 10 of the men who started Sunday’s 8-0 Premier League demolition of Sheffield United, opposite number Pep Guardiola made eight changes, although it was the way in which they used their respective benches which ultimately proved decisive. The Spaniard kept star striker Erling Haaland in reserve and asked substitute Phil Foden to try to rescue the tie for him, while his opposite number changed the pattern of the game by sending on Bruno Guimaraes and Anthony Gordon at the break and reaped the rewards. Newcastle have already lost to City and Liverpool in the league this season, so victory over one of the big boys was all the more welcome. Howe said: “The only way you go into these games with more belief is by winning, so hopefully that will serve us well for the future. It shows that we are capable. “Yes, both teams made changes, but all you can do is try to win the game and we did, and I’m delighted with the players.” You think the target was to win the quadruple? Honestly, it's not Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola The game was settled by Alexander Isak’s 53rd-minute finish at the end of a powerful run by Joelinton, although City were left kicking themselves for not capitalising on their domination before the break and their failure to mount a fresh charge after it. Asked if he was disappointed that his side could no longer win a quadruple to go with the treble they landed last season, a bemused Guardiola said: “You think the target was to win the quadruple? Honestly, it’s not. “We competed really well and we are more than satisfied to win the treble. Our expectations are high, but not high enough to not be satisfied with that.” Guardiola opted not to throw Haaland into the mix as time ran down, and was happy to defend that decision. Asked if he considered sending the frontman on, he said: “No. I thought Kyle (Walker had played) a lot of minutes, Erling a lot of minutes. We have a lot of games ahead of us. “Maybe the last 10-15 minutes, but I decided not to do it.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Jurgen Klopp hails Dominik Szoboszlai after bright start to Liverpool career Sean Dyche knows process to revive Everton will take time after another win Mauricio Pochettino hopes Chelsea can build momentum after ending winless run
2023-09-28 06:52
Fantasy plays: Players to start and sit for NFL Week 4
The Giants' Daniel Jones struggled last week and now has struggled twice in three weeks
2023-09-28 06:48
Mauricio Pochettino hopes Chelsea can build momentum after ending winless run
Mauricio Pochettino hailed the character and personality of his players after watching Chelsea end a three-game winless run by beating Brighton in the Carabao Cup third round. Home supporters witnessed a victory at Stamford Bridge for just the third time since March as Nicolas Jackson’s goal proved the difference between the sides and set up a fourth-round meeting with Blackburn. Jackson struck five minutes after half-time with a composed finish into the corner from Cole Palmer’s pass, becoming the first Chelsea player to score since Enzo Fernandez netted in the second round against AFC Wimbledon on 30 August. Pochettino has repeatedly claimed in recent weeks that performances have been better than the team’s results, and he was relieved to finally see the tide turn in what he called a deserved win. “Very pleased with the performance again,” he said. “(I am) happy for the victory and (it is) important to go through and build our momentum. I hope to build momentum for the future from today. “Very pleased when the strikers score, it’s important. He needed to feel the net, it was an important game for him. “All the team was really good. If we assess, all the players were in a very good level. “Cole is a very talented player, he was key in this victory. He’s still young, he still needs to settle in the club and the city but we saw today how good he is. “I think they (the players) showed character and personality.” Chelsea’s night was slightly blighted by uncertain first-half performances from former Brighton pair Robert Sanchez and Marc Cucurella. Sanchez in goal endured a particularly torrid night, with poor distribution gifting chances to Joao Pedro and Ansu Fati, while he also repeatedly hit passes into touch. Pochettino would not be drawn into criticism of the two. “The first half sometimes we didn’t provide Robert and Marc good angles to play and have continuity,” he said. “After half-time I think we fixed that and were much better. But in a difficult moment they showed character. It’s never easy to play in these circumstances. Today was a must-win, we needed to win this game. “Sometimes the pressure to win, you can’t be perfect. In the second half we dominated the game and we deserved the victory.” Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi defended his selection, with a number of first-team regulars having been rested following Sunday’s win over Bournemouth. “We played good enough to win the game but to win you have to score,” he said. “We didn’t score in the first half when we had many chances to score. Not difficult chances. We were not able to score, then you keep the game open. “I am sorry, I’m disappointed for the result because I want to compete in four competitions. I think the first XI was enough to win the game. “We have to adapt, we have to improve, The young players have to progress, but quickly, because in football we don’t have time. “I don’t want to make any excuses. It was the right first XI to win the game.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Marco Silva knows Fulham need to start taking their chances Bournemouth facing anxious wait over Dominic Solanke’s ankle injury Billy McKinlay relieved West Ham avoided upset against Lincoln
2023-09-28 06:28
