Colts will get QB Anthony Richardson back after he clears concussion protocol
Indianapolis Colts quarterback Anthony Richardson is expected to start Sunday against the Los Angeles Rams after clearing the concussion protocol
2023-09-30 01:52
Debunked: The Empire State Building Didn’t Actually Light Up for Taylor Swift’s “Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch”
The Empire State Building seemingly lit up for "ketchup and seemingly ranch." But not everything is as it seems.
2023-09-30 01:51
Already the winningest team in NASCAR, Hendrick Motorsports sets new goals after 300th win
Rick Hendrick believes in setting goals because chasing that dangling carrot has proved to be an effective motivator for NASCAR’s winningest team
2023-09-30 01:23
Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk ‘signed’ with undisputed heavyweight title fight confirmed
Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk have “signed” contracts to meet in an undisputed heavyweight title fight. Fury said in a post on Instagram that he will fight Usyk for all four belts in Saudi Arabia, in what would be the first undisputed heavyweight title bout in a generation. Fury did not disclose any further details about the fight but his promoter Frank Warren confirmed the deal had been done. “Delighted to finally get this fight signed,” Warren said. “This is the biggest fight that could possibly be made in our sport. “The heavyweights always spark the imagination of the fans, and I have no doubt this will be the biggest boxing event of the century.” The date of the contest, which will take place in Riyadh, has not been announced, however. Fury and Usyk had previously been in talks over a heavyweight showdown but discussions collapsed ahead of a proposed April bout at Wembley Stadium. Ukrainian Usyk, 36 , is unbeaten in 21 fights, having last knocked out Daniel Dubois last month in Poland. Fury has not been in action since knocking out Dereck Chisora last December, and the WBC champion, 35, is also unbeaten in 34 fights - with 33 wins and a draw. “You can’t run rabbit run anymore Usyk, you’re getting it,” Fury wrote on Instagram. Fury is set to face former UFC world heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou in a crossover fight on October 28, but his WBC belt will not be on the line. Britain’s Lennox Lewis was heavyweight boxing's last undisputed champion in 1999. Read More Ngannou reveals how Jones mega-fight can happen after Fury boxing match Tyson Fury ‘tried to pay’ to halt filming of Netflix reality show KP’s World Cup preview and Tyson Fury’s new arrival – Monday’s sporting social Joe Joyce on knockouts, oil painting, and teaching 60-year-olds to swim How Canelo, boxing’s final throwback, can further cement his sporting legacy Who is fighting on the Canelo vs Charlo undercard?
2023-09-30 00:29
Man United allow Antony to resume training despite assault investigations
Manchester United have decided Antony can resume training and will be allowed to play for the club during ongoing police inquiries after three women accused him of assault. The winger had taken a leave of absence, without being suspended by the club. He has missed United’s last four matches and will not feature in Saturday’s home game against Crystal Palace. His former partner, Gabriela Cavallin, made accusations of abuse in an interview with Brazilian newspaper UOL. Two further women, Rayssa de Freitas and Ingrid Lana, then made separate allegations against the 23-year-old. Antony has insisted he is innocent and has spoken to police in both Brazil and England. He voluntarily attended an interview with Greater Manchester Police on Thursday and submitted his phone for investigation. He also spoke to police in Sao Paulo in June and has not yet been arrested or charged in either country. United said in a statement: “Since allegations were first made in June, Antony has cooperated with police inquiries in both Brazil and the UK, and he continues to do so. “As Antony’s employer, Manchester United has decided that he will resume training at Carrington, and be available for selection, while police inquiries proceed. This will be kept under review pending further developments in the case. “As a club we condemn acts of violence and abuse. We recognise the importance of safeguarding all those involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse.” Manager Erik ten Hag stated Antony will return to training on Saturday and expects him to be fit. “I have to see but I think so,” he said in a press conference later in the afternoon. Cavallin claimed she was attacked by Antony last summer, when she was pregnant and before she suffered a miscarriage. She said the £86m signing had threatened to throw her out of a car and alleged the footballer punched and headbutted her in January 2023. Antony issued a statement on 10 September in which he said: “I want to reiterate my innocence of the things I have been accused of, and I will fully cooperate with the police to help them reach the truth.” Read More Antony return to Manchester United will not be a distraction – Erik ten Hag Erik ten Hag reveals cause of Manchester United’s injury woes Manchester United suffer another injury blow to defender
2023-09-30 00:23
Boxing-Fury to fight Usyk in Saudi for undisputed heavyweight title
(Reuters) -Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk will fight for the world's undisputed heavyweight championship in Saudi Arabia at a date
2023-09-30 00:20
Angels star Shohei Ohtani finishes with the best-selling jersey in MLB this season
Shohei Ohtani’s soaring popularity was even more evident when it came to jersey sales
2023-09-30 00:17
Ukraine urges other nations to boycott playing Russia after Uefa decision
The football association of Ukraine has written to Uefa’s member nations urging them to boycott matches against junior Russian teams. Uefa announced earlier this week that it would be reinstating Russia at under-17 level. The decision comes after a ban on all Russian sides by European football’s governing body after the invasion of Ukraine by Moscow in February 2022. England’s Football Association (the FA) had been among the national bodies that had said that they would not allow their sides to play Russia despite Uefa’s decision. And the Ukrainian footballing body has now urged all members to do the same. “We are convinced any step towards reintegration of Russian representatives is a hazardous and terrifying trend, which means nothing but support to the Russian terrorist state and all their crimes committed in Ukraine,” said the letter, according to the BBC. The next Under-17 male European Championship finals are due to be played in Cyprus next year, while the women’s U17 Euros are set to be hosted by Sweden in May. Sweden’s FA has also said that it will not allow age-group sides to face Russia and will not host the country, even if there is now a path to qualification. Uefa’s executive commitee is expected to meet on 10 October to confirm their position. Aleksander Ceferin, the president of Uefa, this week said that the move to relax the blanket ban came out of a desire to not punish children for the action’s of the Russian government amid the ongoing conflict. “Uefa’s continuing suspension against Russian adult teams reflects its commitment to take a stand against violence and aggression. Uefa is determined that this position will continue until the war is over and peace restored,” said the organisation’s president Aleksander Ceferin. “But by banning children from our competitions, we not only fail to recognise and uphold a fundamental right for their holistic development but we directly discriminate against them. “By providing opportunities to play and compete with their peers from all over Europe, we are investing in what we hope will be a brighter and more capable future generation and a better tomorrow.” Read More Russia to return to Uefa competitions as ban lifted on Under-17s teams EU lawmakers ask UEFA to ban Belarus from Euro 2024 Russia Olympic chief fuming over ‘unacceptable’ Asian Games exclusion
2023-09-29 21:51
Antony return to Manchester United will not be a distraction – Erik ten Hag
Erik ten Hag does not believe Antony’s return will be a distraction after Manchester United announced he will resume training and is available for selection amid police inquiries into allegations of abuse against him. The 23-year-old was given a leave of absence on September 10 and returned to England from Brazil earlier this week, before attending a voluntary interview with Greater Manchester Police on Thursday. Antony has always denied the allegations against him and United confirmed on Friday morning the winger will rejoin training and can resume playing Ten Hag’s side. The Premier League club said in a statement: “Since allegations were first made in June, Antony has co-operated with police inquiries in both Brazil and the UK, and he continues to do so. “As Antony’s employer, Manchester United has decided that he will resume training at Carrington, and be available for selection, while police inquiries proceed. “This will be kept under review pending further developments in the case. “As a club we condemn acts of violence and abuse. We recognise the importance of safeguarding all those involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse.” United released the statement just over two hours before Ten Hag faced the media to preview Saturday’s match against Crystal Palace. Antony will not be involved in that Premier League encounter but will return to training with the group on the day of the game. “We make the statement, so I refer to the statement,” Ten Hag said. “I think everything has been made clear in the statement. “No, I don’t think it’s a distraction. We focus on the games and he will do as well.” Asked for details on his return, the Dutchman said: “On Saturday, he will be back in the training, so tomorrow. “I have to see (how fit he is), but I think, yeah (he’s fit).” Antony is facing several accusations of physical aggression towards his former girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin, who spoke to Brazilian outlet UOL earlier this month. The winger has denied those allegations, as well as further assault claims made by Rayssa de Freitas and Ingrid Lana. Antony has not been arrested or charged in either Brazil or by GMP and he left the voluntary interview, where he presented evidence to support his strenuous denials, without any restrictions. United will continue to monitor the situation while police enquiries are going on. A spokesperson for the charity Women’s Aid said: “We know that this morning’s news from Manchester United about their player, Antony, returning to training and selection while police inquiries continue will have an impact on survivors of domestic abuse. “We urge the national football organisations to work with specialist services, like Women’s Aid, to provide much-needed guidance for clubs on domestic abuse and the handling of domestic abuse cases. “An informed and consistent approach is vital in order to create a society where domestic abuse is not tolerated and we will be writing to the national organisations to raise this.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Robbie Henshaw waiting for chance due to form of Bundee Aki and Garry Ringrose Matt Fitzpatrick enjoys Ryder Cup birdie run as Europe continue momentum Javan Sebastian: Spell in the ‘normal’ world gave me impetus to succeed in rugby
2023-09-29 21:17
Ageless Oksana Chusovitina -- at 48 -- is still hoping to qualify for Paris Olympics in gymnastics
Oksana Chusovitina competed in her first Olympics at the 1992 Barcelona Games and won a gold medal in gymnastics
2023-09-29 21:17
Manchester United suffer Lisandro Martinez injury blow
Manchester United have announced Lisandro Martinez will be sidelined for an “extended period” after aggravating the foot injury he suffered towards the end of last season. The Argentina defender sustained a fractured metatarsal in April’s Europa League quarter-final first leg against Sevilla, keeping him out for around two months. Martinez is now looking at a similar timescale after United confirmed he had suffered a setback. The club said: “Lisandro Martinez will be out of action for an extended period due to an aggravation of the foot injury he suffered in April. “The Argentinian defender experienced the setback in our Premier League game against Arsenal earlier this month. “Martinez bravely continued playing for the following two games against Brighton and Bayern Munich. “But it has now been determined that he needs a period on the sidelines for recovery and rehabilitation. Assessment is ongoing to decide next steps.” United have a number of injury issues to deal with and have confirmed Sergio Reguilon will be among those absent against Crystal Palace on Saturday. The club said: “Sergio Reguilon will also be absent from this Saturday’s Premier League game against Crystal Palace with a minor injury.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live
2023-09-29 20:29
How Canelo Alvarez, boxing’s final throwback, can further cement his sporting legacy
The seemingly endless boxing road for Saul Canelo Alvarez continues in Las Vegas on Saturday night. Alvarez is the boxing wunderkind, turning professional at just fifteen, winning a world title for the first time in 2011 and now, at 33, set to have his 24th world title fight. Alvarez has fought 63 times, the type of number that a champion will simply not repeat in the future. At the T-Mobile Arena, the big house of fights just off the strip but now firmly established as the city’s number one venue, Alvarez defends his four super-middleweight world titles against Jermell Charlo. It is a tricky fight, the latest risk in the long career of the Mexican idol. Charlo holds the four belts at light-middleweight and is naturally the smaller man; he has lost just once in 37 fights, but is smart, slick and fresh. Jermell has an unbeaten twin called Jermall, who holds a middleweight world title and was Alvarez’s first choice. However, Jermall had not fought since 2021, is dealing with a lot of personal issues and had to refuse the offer; Jermell jumped straight in. A fight with Jermall next year will make perfect business sense if Alvarez wins. If he loses, there will be a rematch with Jermell. Every move that Alvarez makes is smart – he is a fighting industry, a man with the ability to demand and receive whatever he wants. Alvarez last fought when he put on a masterclass over the championship distance to beat Islington’s John Ryder in Guadalajara in May. It was a delayed homecoming for Alvarez, a night to enjoy with over 200 members of a mariachi band serenading their fighting icon as he walked to the ring in front of 50,000 devoted fans, all howling under a night sky of stars. Ryder, incidentally, was the eighth British boxer that Alvarez has beaten in world title fights. Charlo is clever enough to create problems for Alvarez, but the weight will be a factor; Alvarez is naturally a stone heavier and on the night in the ring he will be a lot more. Charlo will rely on speed and Alvarez has struggled on occasion with slick movement. Charlo has beaten some quality fighters, but Alvarez poses his own unique problems and simply imagining that some extra lateral movement and fast feet will be enough is a fantasy. “He (Alvarez) makes good fighters do exactly what he wants,” said Joe Gallagher, who took Liam and Callum Smith to fight Alvarez. “He makes really good fighters doubt their own ability.” Alvarez has lost twice in his career; in 2013, Floyd Mayweather was simply too wise, too good and won on points. It was not close. In the first half of 2022, Alvarez jumped back to light-heavyweight, where he had previously won a world title, and was given a surprise boxing lesson by the brilliant Dmitri Bivol. It was an odd fight, and it was obvious that Alvarez had not done his homework. The rematch was expected, but Alvarez has fought twice since and there appears to be no rush to get revenge. Bivol is still waiting and happy to fight Alvarez again; everybody wants to fight Alvarez – he is boxing’s cash cow. There is no doubting that Alvarez is a throwback fighter, a man from a distant time when boxers like Sugar Ray Robinson had 201 fights, Roberto Duran 119 and even Muhammad Ali had 61 fights. There will not be men of that quality with that quantity of fights ever again. Alvarez might just be the last man standing. “He’s a great fighter, but I can beat him,” insisted Charlo. “I know how to beat him. I have the motivation and the skills. He will want a rematch; I know he will. This is my time.” Alvarez is calm, he is always calm before a big fight, and he seems just a bit more focused for this fight. “People have been saying negative things about me for a long time, expecting me to lose in every fight,” he said. “I ignore what they say – this feels different, I’m chasing history.” Alvarez has his place in boxing history secure, he is now chasing greatness and a win against Charlo will add to his legacy. It will not be easy, Charlo is being underestimated, but it will happen and probably against a chorus of screams. Read More Canelo vs Charlo live stream: How to watch fight online and on TV this weekend Canelo Alvarez trainer hits back at ‘sack of potatoes’ sparring partner ahead of Jermell Charlo fight Joe Joyce now faces a harsh truth – he needs protecting from himself Who is fighting on the Canelo vs Charlo undercard? How to watch Canelo vs Charlo online and on TV What time does Canelo vs Charlo start in UK and US?
2023-09-29 20:26
