Lazio looking to draw on Champions League spirit to turn things around in Serie A
Lazio will be looking to draw on the spirit of its Champions League campaign to turn things around in Serie A
2023-10-05 20:56
Guardiola heaps praise on Man City teenager Rico Lewis with big statement
Pep Guardiola hailed Rico Lewis as one of the best players he has ever coached after his starring role in Manchester City’s hard-fought win at RB Leipzig. The 18-year-old produced a commanding display as the holders maintained the winning start to their Champions League defence with a 3-1 victory at the Red Bull Arena on Wednesday. Lewis, who made his first-team breakthrough as a right-back last season, had a hand in Phil Foden’s opening goal and proved City’s main driving force throughout. Guardiola, the former Barcelona boss whose past players have included Lionel Messi, said: “What a player! What a player!”
2023-10-05 20:28
PGMOL rejects Ben Foster’s claim that referees pressured Sky Sports into VAR cover-up
The PGMOL has rejected Ben Foster’s claim that Premier League match officials conspired with Sky Sports to cover up the VAR mistake during Liverpool’s defeat at Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday. The referees’ body has faced severe criticism over the error, in which VAR Darren England misunderstood an on-field decision and allowed a legitimate goal by Liverpool’s Luis Diaz to be chalked off for offside. He failed to alert his colleagues on the pitch, telling his replay operator “there’s nothing I can do” as the match continued. The incident sparked online conspiracy theories around football’s governance plotting against Liverpool. And Foster weighed in when he accused both the PGMOL and its VAR team at Premier League headquarters of putting direct pressure on Sky Sports not to broadcast replays of the incident. Speaking on his YouTube channel Ben Foster - The Cycling GK which has 1.4 million subscribers, the former Premier League goalkeeper said there was only one replay shown of the offside goal in its immediate aftermath, and his suspicions were further raised when the incident was only briefly discussed by Sky Sports’ pundits at half-time. “That tells me Sky are in bed with the people at VAR and [the PGMOL],” he claimed. “Because they must have got straight on the phone and said ‘do not highlight the fact that we’ve cocked up here, do not show it, do not bad-mouth us, do not nothing’. “I guarantee you that’s what’s happened. So that’s why Sky were under direct orders to not say a single word about it.” The Independent understands that the PGMOL feels Foster’s allegations are unfounded and completely untrue. The Premier League’s match centre, rather than the PGMOL, communicates only factual information to broadcasters, and it is understood that the referees’ body has no say or sway in what TV companies show. Indeed Sky Sports would have leapt at the chance to highlight a major VAR mistake, and did so once it had clarification of the error. Sky Sports did not want to comment on Foster’s claims, but sources pointed out that the half-time segment of the programme needed to cover two goals and a red card in an action-packed first half. The broadcaster later read out a PGMOL statement live on air and has since delved into extensive coverage of the incident, unpicking the moment in detail both on its Sky Sports News programmes and during Monday Night Football. Analyst Jamie Carragher criticised the decision by England not to intervene and halt the game once he understood that the wrong decision had been taken. “The bit where I’m really struggling is that they [VAR officials] must know within two seconds because Tottenham have taken a free-kick,” Carragher said. “I’d be screaming at the referee that a mistake has been made but maybe they’re saying they have to wait until the ball goes out of play. They’re saying they stayed with protocol, that they’re not allowed to stop [the match] but I don’t believe that. They panicked, they froze. “I know that’s the rule but that’s a red-tape rule. If they had reversed it, we’d have been praising their leadership. “There’s talk that the officials didn’t know until half-time that a mistake had been made but when that ball goes out of play [after the incident] the look on that referee’s face... it’s a look of something has gone wrong.” The Independent has contacted Foster’s representatives for comment. Read More Man United and Tottenham eye move for Atletico Madrid’s transfer guru Arsenal head coach Jonas Eidevall signs new long-term contract Manchester City can put a stamp on the season with Arsenal win – Rico Lewis Man United and Tottenham eye move for Atletico Madrid’s transfer guru Arsenal head coach Jonas Eidevall signs new long-term contract Manchester City can put a stamp on the season with Arsenal win – Rico Lewis
2023-10-05 19:54
What to expect from Friday's jobs report
This time last week, the prospects seemed to be growing dimmer that the September jobs report would land this Friday as planned.
2023-10-05 19:51
Arsenal head coach Jonas Eidevall signs new long-term contract
Arsenal boss Jonas Eidevall has signed a new “long-term” deal, the Women’s Super League side have announced. The PA news agency understands the Swedish head coach, who was first appointed in June 2021, has agreed to a three-year contract with the Gunners. Last season, the 40-year-old led Arsenal to the Continental Cup trophy and steered his side to the Champions League semi-finals. He said: “I’m full of pride to have signed a new contract with this football club. “I’m aware of the huge privilege and responsibility that comes along with my role at Arsenal. This is a special place with a special group of players and staff and we all believe there is a great future ahead of us here, so I am delighted to have agreed a new deal. “We’ve made great progress on and off the pitch over the last couple of years and we are all working hard to continue that growth every single day. Our ambition is to be competing for the highest honours in women’s football consistently and we all believe we are capable of achieving that. “I’d also like to say a special thank you to our supporters. From the moment I arrived, I’ve felt your warm support and it means the world. Home or away, our supporters never fall short – to represent this club, this community, is an honour. Together, we can achieve so much.” Arsenal, who finished third in the WSL last season, have already been eliminated from the Champions League after suffering a shock defeat to Paris FC in the qualifying stages last month. That result led some to wonder if that result could threaten Eidevall’s future in north London, speculation swiftly silenced by the announcement of his extension. Arsenal sporting director Edu said: “We’re delighted to have agreed a new contract with Jonas. This is an exciting time for our women’s first team as we approach a new season and this announcement is an important sign of our renewed commitment to the journey ahead. As a club, our aim is to be challenging at the top of the game and Jonas will play a key role in us achieving that.” Arsenal head of women’s football Clare Wheatley added: “Jonas is a crucial part of what we are building here at Arsenal and we’re very pleased to say he has signed a new deal with us. He has overseen real progress since joining us in 2021, winning his first silverware and guiding us to the semi-finals of the Champions League last year. “Jonas shares our ambitions for our club and we are looking forward to working towards them together over the coming years.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live
2023-10-05 19:25
Assassin's Creed Mirage: Why Arabic is at the heart of the new game
The makers of the latest in the stealth action series have put Arabic front and centre of the project.
2023-10-05 19:22
Manchester City can put a stamp on the season with Arsenal win – Rico Lewis
Rico Lewis believes Manchester City are ready to put a marker down at Arsenal this weekend after getting their campaign back on track in Leipzig. City returned to winning ways after successive defeats with a 3-1 triumph in a hard-fought Champions League encounter at the Red Bull Arena on Wednesday. The treble winners’ focus now shifts to Sunday’s trip to the Emirates Stadium and a clash with their closest challengers in last season’s title race. Lewis, who shone in a central midfield role in the German success, said: “After a couple of poor performances and results we’ve now got the ball rolling again and hopefully we carry on from here. “It (Sunday’s game) is a way we can put a stamp on the season and really make sure the rest of the league knows we’re aiming to do the same as last season. “Obviously we were a bit unlucky with the results and performances so we were a bit down, but it’s never down for too long. There’s always another game and everyone is always up for it.” Lewis, 18, produced one of the best performances of his fledgling career as City continued their winning start to their European title defence. Manager Pep Guardiola later described the youngster as one of the best players he has ever trained. Playing alongside Rodri, Lewis brought tenacity and dynamism as he combined tireless defensive work with driving runs. He created the opening goal for fellow Academy graduate Phil Foden in the 25th minute after playing a one-two with Bernardo Silva. He was a constant handful for RB Leipzig although, after a Lois Openda equaliser, it took late goals from substitutes Julian Alvarez and Jeremy Doku to settle the Group G encounter. “I do my best,” said Lewis, who first broke into the side as a right-back, rather modestly. “I think it’s just all about patience for myself. There are so many world-class players in that dressing room so all I can do is my best and learn. “The opportunities will come and when they do I’ve got to take them. “That’s my favourite position I think, even (more than) coming inside from full-back. I think playing a bit higher up then defending as a two with Rodri is my favourite.” With Rodri completing a three-match domestic ban this weekend, it seems likely Lewis will be given another opportunity on the big stage, although he has not yet been told. He said: “I don’t have any hopes or anything. I do my best and we’ll see what happens on Sunday. It’s all about what the manager chooses and decides is right.” Foden echoed Guardiola’s praise of Lewis when asked for his assessment of his young team-mate. “He’s one of the best young players I’ve seen,” said the England international. “He seems to up our tempo and makes us play a bit quicker. “The performances he’s putting in at such a young age is great to see. He’s only going to get better with this coach, how he improves players. He just has to pay attention and want to get better. “Normally when you’re 18 you’re a bit shy in these big games. He’s the total opposite. He wants the ball, wants to impress. “I like his determination. He’s going to be a quality player, he just needs the game time. “I’m delighted to have another Academy player playing in these big games. It’s a dream come true for me.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Arsenal head coach Jonas Eidevall signs new long-term contract Wales World Cup experience surpassing expectations for Nick Tompkins James McClean announces plan to retire from Republic of Ireland duty
2023-10-05 19:16
Ed Sheeran serves up pies and pints to football fans at Championship club
Ed Sheeran has been spotted at Ipswich Town FC pouring pints and dishing up pies for hungry football fans as the club took on Hull City. The 32-year-old is a loyal supporter of the club, and was also filmed in the changing room with the players belting out his hit track, 'Perfect'. Celebrations weren't short-lived either, as the team brought home a 3-0 victory at their Portman Road ground. Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter
2023-10-05 18:50
Victoria Beckham based new perfumes on treasured memories
Victoria Beckham has revealed she based her new collection of fragrances on treasured memories with her husband David and their kids
2023-10-05 18:29
Lewandowski doubtful for Spanish league game after Barcelona 'exorcise' Champions League failures
Barcelona may be without Robert Lewandowski on Sunday as it turns its focus back to the Spanish league after putting itself in a good position to advance in the Champions League following two early eliminations
2023-10-05 17:48
Stokes to miss defending champion England's Cricket World Cup opener against New Zealand
New Zealand has won the toss and sent England into bat in a 2019 final rematch to open Cricket World Cup
2023-10-05 16:50
Russia wields 'silent weapon' of grain exports to weaken Ukraine
In April 2022, former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, now deputy head of Russia's Security Council, said on his Telegram channel: "Our food is our silent weapon. Silent — but formidable."
2023-10-05 16:49
