Bukayo Saka pulls out of England squad through injury
Bukayo Saka will miss England’s upcoming internationals with Australia and Italy, the Football Association has confirmed. The Arsenal attacker was called up to Gareth Southgate’s squad on Thursday, despite concerns over his fitness after being substituted in recent matches at Bournemouth and Lens. Saka subsequently sat out Arsenal’s 1-0 win over Manchester City on Sunday with a hamstring issue and club boss Mikel Arteta said afterwards the 22-year-old would have to pull out of the England squad. Saka met up with England’s medical staff at St George’s Park on Monday and it has now been confirmed he will return to Arsenal for further treatment. “The forward reported to St George’s Park on Monday alongside the rest of the Three Lions’ squad,” an FA statement read. “Having missed Arsenal’s Premier League win against Manchester City on Sunday through injury, Saka was assessed by the England medical team and it was decided the player would continue his rehabilitation at his club. “No replacements are planned with Gareth Southgate having a squad of 25 players to work with.” Southgate’s side host Australia in a friendly at Wembley on Friday night before they take on Italy in London next Tuesday. Read More Expectation to underachievement – How Scotland came up short in France Matt Fitzpatrick completes double at Alfred Dunhill Links Championship Ronnie O’Sullivan beats Ken Doherty to keep hold of his world number one ranking
2023-10-10 01:21
The Steelers are winning in spite of the offense. At some point, they'll need to win because of it
The Pittsburgh Steelers are winning almost in spite of their offense
2023-10-10 01:17
Arsenal ran out of steam last season – but this is a very different Mikel Arteta team
As long as 30 minutes after the game, and at least 30m from the Arsenal dressing room, you could still hear the raucous celebrations inside. The cheers were especially audible as the door to the media room swung open and Mikel Arteta came in for his press conference, when he eventually allowed himself to smile – and quite widely. “A great feeling,” the Arsenal manager said after his side’s 1-0 win over Manchester City, which represented his first points against his former employers, not to mention his club’s first points at all against the champions since April 2017. “You could sense, it’s been so many years without beating them. “They were all dancing and super happy. They go into the international break and the mood is much better. They’re gonna have a few days off, the ones who are not involved, and it just sends everybody away until the next game against Chelsea with the right feeling. It’s great so I’m really happy.” If these sound like the sort of scenes usually reserved for when a trophy is won, that is kind of the point. It’s all about taking this team closer to that first Premier League since 2004. Arteta has taken them step by step over the last four years, and we’re now at the point where it’s truly decisive moves rather than the earlier strides. It was why this was so important. If you are going to actually beat a team as powerful as this Manchester City in the title race, you obviously need to beat them on the pitch, and in the league. Arteta naturally tried to play down its exact psychological significance, but he couldn’t but admit this was important. His interpretations of previous games were maybe a bit generous but that was understandable. “I don’t know if it was a barrier. Obviously it was something we needed to go through. To beat them we have to lose against them, we have to lose probably the way we lost at the Etihad. The team showed a real maturity today, that comes from experiences. Sometimes you need that to become a better team.” That is probably what Arsenal are, even if their points return is worse than this point last season. They are clearly a more substantial team, with more conviction, as a season like last year will ensure. It was an arrival, even if it ended in frustrating fashion. It ultimately proved Arsenal are at that level again. The summer signings have since been about giving them more dimensions. It is one of the more interesting elements of Arsenal’s start to the campaign, as well as what might have been lift-off for Kai Havertz. Arsenal clearly hit on a superb first XI last season, which propelled their campaign for months. The issue was it eventually left Arteta in a bind. He could either persevere with the XI, at the cost of energy given how little they were rested, or he could change up but also remove some of the verve. He tried to do a bit of both in the end, and they somewhat inevitably ran out of steam. Since then, Arteta has obviously been trying to give them more depth, but also variety. Havertz was about exactly this. Arteta will especially enjoy his contribution, the pass to Gabriel Martinelli for the goal coming as it did just minutes after the German came on. It looked simple but was about his spatial awareness and presence of mind. The effect of just doing that can’t be discounted either – as with the win. Arsenal will believe, even more than before. Nobody should believe this is going to be the City for the rest of the season of course. They have some huge absences, especially with Rodri and Kevin De Bruyne. They will return and both the team and Erling Haaland will inevitably go on the sort of run they did last season at least once. Arsenal should be more equipped to go that bit further, to get more points. That was what the celebrations felt like they were about, at least in part. The team is that bit closer to completion. Read More Mikel Arteta hails ‘fantastic’ young Arsenal side as they break Man City hex Arteta provides Saka injury update and rules Arsenal star out for England Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta hails ‘maturity’ of young Gunners after City win Gabriel Martinelli snatches last-gasp victory for Arsenal against Man City Fortune favours Arsenal as Mikel Arteta finally outdoes Pep Guardiola Pep Guardiola says he learned ‘a lot’ from Mikel Arteta ahead of Sunday reunion
2023-10-10 00:28
Flag football set to be included at Los Angeles Olympics in 2028
Flag football took a key step toward becoming an Olympic sport in 2028, a victory for the NFL and organizers in Los Angeles who will bring a distinctly American sport into the world’s largest sports festival
2023-10-10 00:26
When will Euro 2028 host be announced by Uefa?
The host nations for Euro 2028 and 2032 will be announced by the Uefa Executive Committee on Tuesday 10th October. The meeting will begin at 9am BST with the announcement expected to follow at approximately 11-11:30am BST. The United Kingdom and Ireland currently have an unopposed bid to host the competition as Turkey withdrew to form a joint bid with Italy for 2032. As a result, the UK and Ireland are set to be named as hosts for 2028. Turkey’s bid was officially withdrawn on the 4 October which meant the home nations and the Republic of Ireland have the final remaining bid. The five nations put in a bid for the 2028 competition after they decided not to bid for the 2030 World Cup. It is possible however that some of the host nations not qualify despite hosting as automatic qualification is unlikely to be given to all five. The proposal includes matches across ten stadiums: Wembley Stadium, National Stadium of Wales, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, City of Manchester Stadium, Everton Stadium, St James’ Park, Villa Park, Hampden Park, Dublin Arena, and Casement Park. With almost three million tournament tickets available, the proposed tournament will have more tickets available than any previous UEFA EURO. Spread across five nations and ten cities with an average stadium capacity of 58,000, the sporting event has the potential to be the biggest in the UK since the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. A focus has been made on sustainability in the bid with transport plans allowing more than 80 per cent of ticket holders to the stadiums by public transport. The proposal is backed by all five national governments and National Football Associations. The final bid presentations followed by the announcement ceremony will take place on Tuesday at the UEFA Headquarters in Switzerland. The bid sets out a vision of "Football for all, Football for good. Football for the future" which aims to diversify the game and make it more inclusive, as well as connect with the next generation of fans. England and Scotland previously hosted matches at EURO 2020 including the final between England and Italy at Wembley. The match caused major chaos and organisers will be looking to provide a far safer and more positive event this time around. Turkey and Italy are set to be announced as hosts for the 2032 tournament as they too have an unopposed bid for the following tournament. Read More Euro 2028 venues: UK and Ireland name 10 stadiums as Anfield and Old Trafford miss out Gareth Bale part of Welsh delegation to help UK and Ireland Euro 2028 bid Gareth Southgate positive about UK and Ireland bid for Euro 2028 Uefa postpones matches in war-torn Israel Uefa torn over plans to reinstate Russian youth teams Gareth Southgate positive about UK and Ireland bid for Euro 2028
2023-10-10 00:22
What does the science say about the grass vs. turf debate in sports?
There's a longstanding question in sports that scientists have tried to answer: Which playing surface is safer for athletes: natural grass or artificial turf
2023-10-09 23:17
Ridder solidifies job security and brightens Falcons' hopes for long-awaited winning season
The Atlanta Falcons have renewed reason to believe they can end their streak of five straight losing seasons
2023-10-09 22:59
KSI vs Tommy Fury live stream: How to watch fight online and on TV this weekend
KSI and Tommy Fury will meet in the boxing ring on Saturday, in what is set to be one of the biggest fights of the year. KSI (real name Olajide Olatunji) rose to fame on YouTube and has since ventured into rapping, boxing and business – the latter via his Prime energy drink company, which he launched with former opponent Logan Paul. The Briton’s next in-ring challenge comes against compatriot Fury, a former Love Island contestant and the half-brother of heavyweight boxing champion Tyson Fury. Neither KSI, 30, nor Fury, 24, has been beaten – though the latter has greater professional experience. In the co-main event, Paul will be in action against fellow American Dillon Danis, a former teammate of UFC star Conor McGregor. Here’s all you need to know. We may earn commission from some of the links in this article, but we never allow this to influence our content. This revenue helps to fund journalism across The Independent. When is the event? The fights are set to take place on Saturday 14 October at the AO Arena in Manchester. The main card is due to begin at 7pm BST (11am PT, 1pm CT, 2pm ET). Paul vs Danis is likely to take place at around 10.30pm BST (2.30pm PT, 4.30pm CT, 5.30pm ET), with ring walks for KSI vs Fury expected at 11.30pm BST (3.30pm PT, 5.30pm CT, 6.30pm ET). How can I watch it? The event will air live on Dazn pay-per-view, at a cost of £19.99 in the UK and $54.99 in the US. If you’re travelling abroad and want to watch the event, you might need a VPN to unblock your streaming app. Our VPN round-up is here to help and includes deals on VPNs in the market. Viewers using a VPN need to make sure that they comply with any local regulations where they are and also with the terms of their service provider. Odds KSI – 5/2; Fury – 2/7 Paul – 2/9; Danis – 3/1 Full odds via William Hill. • Get all the latest boxing betting sites’ offers Full card (subject to change) • KSI vs Tommy Fury • Logan Paul vs Dillon Danis • Salt Papi vs Slim Albaher • Deen The Great vs Walid Sharks II • King Kenny vs Anthony Taylor • Whindersson Nunes vs My Mate Nate • NichLmao & Alex Wassabi vs Luis Alcaraz Pineda & BDave • Astrid Wett vs Alexia Grace • Swarmz vs Ryan Taylor II • Chase DeMoor vs Tempo Arts S-X vs DTG Read More Who is KSI? From ‘endearing’ class clown to YouTuber who has changed the face of boxing Tommy Fury explains why he has ‘never been fan’ of KSI ahead of crunch boxing match Let’s get ready to rumble! Inside the ropes with boxing’s ring announcers What time does Logan Paul vs Dillon Danis start this weekend? How to watch Logan Paul vs Dillon Danis online and on TV this weekend What time does KSI vs Tommy Fury start this weekend?
2023-10-09 22:50
Brighton protect manager Roberto de Zerbi after fake Israel-Palestine comments surface
Brighton have moved to protect manager Roberto De Zerbi after a fake social media account pretending to be him made comments on the conflict between Israel and Palestine. Despite the account being verified, Brighton and the agency that represents the Italian coach made fans aware that the account was fake, saying: "This account is not run by Roberto or his representatives and has absolutely no association with him. "We have asked Meta to take the account down as soon as possible." The Instagram story from the fake account read: "I support the Palestinian cause, and I hope that it will return to white it was, and I hope that Sudan will return to what it was, and that peace will prevail on the lands of Sudan, and I hope that peace will last throughout the Arab and Muslim countries." It comes as at least 800 people have reportedly been killed in Israel, local media has reported — a staggering toll on a scale the country has not experienced in decades — and almost 500 have been killed in Gaza, with thousands wounded. Palestinian militants claimed to be holding over 130 captives. Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-10-09 22:47
F1: Esteban Ocon vomited in his helmet during ‘horrible’ Qatar Grand Prix
F1 driver Esteban Ocon has revealed he was “throwing up” during the Qatar Grand Prix on Sunday 8 October. Humidity, 40C temperatures and high-speed corners made the race incredibly tough for the drivers, with Lando Norris also calling the conditions “too dangerous”. After finishing seventh in the race for Alpine, Ocon explained that he was sick over the course of two laps - something that has “never happened” in the past. “I was throwing up by lap 15, 16. For two laps I think,” Ocon told Sky Sports. “I was doing that and thinking ‘s***, it’s going to be a long one’. I managed to get it under control just mentally and just focus on what I’ve got to try and do.” Read More Mikel Arteta hails ‘fantastic’ young Arsenal side as they break Man City hex Sir Alex Ferguson praises wife Cathy as he reveals ‘she sacrificed everything for me’ Ryder Cup venue engulfed by raging fire as smoke fills air in drone footage
2023-10-09 22:18
Buffalo Sabres lock up defenseman Rasmus Dahlin to 8-year, $88 million contract extension
Buffalo Sabres defenseman Rasmus Dahlin’s emergence as a team leader and one of the NHL’s top offensive blue-line threats last season earned him an eight-year, $88 million contract extension
2023-10-09 20:48
Saudi Arabia formally informs FIFA of its wish to host the 2034 World Cup as the favorite to win
Saudi Arabia has formally informed FIFA of its wish to host the men’s World Cup in 2034 in a bidding contest that increasingly looks designed for the oil-rich kingdom to win
2023-10-09 19:59
