
Football transfer rumours: Rice to reject Bayern; Modric to leave Real Madrid
Friday's transfer roundup includes news on the race for Declan Rice, the Real Madrid stars who could be heading to Saudi Arabia, Lionel Messi's future and more.
2023-06-02 15:47

From MrBeast to Charli D'Amelio, 5 social media influencers who have had serious health scares
MrBeast said, 'I’m probably one of the least energetic people you’ll ever meet. I get tired very easily. I take a lot of naps and stuff like that'
2023-06-02 15:47

Noel Gallagher brands AI-generated Oasis album 'pointless'
Noel Gallagher isn't a fan of the AI-generated Oasis songs that were recently shared online and thinks such records are "pointless".
2023-06-02 15:31

Andrew Tate: 'King of masculinity' grilled over misogynistic views and rape allegations during BBC interview
Andrew Tate interacts with media for the first time after coming out of jail
2023-06-02 15:29

Fernando Alonso eyes statement home victory, a decade on from his last triumph
How different did 2013 really look in the life of Fernando Alonso? Driving a competitive car, buoyed by thousands of Spanish supporters, the two-time Formula 1 world champion looked – in eagerness bordering on desperation – to haul in the championship lead of a Red Bull driver out in front. Sound familiar? A decade on, the tune of the day feels decidedly identical. Yet plenty has happened in the 10 years in-between. Alonso has loved, left, and fallen back in love with the sport. Red Bull’s champion-of-the-day back then, Sebastian Vettel, would wrap up the 2013 world title, the last of four crowns. By the end of last year the German, six years younger than Alonso no less, retired and vacated an Aston Martin seat swallowed up by the Spaniard. Now Red Bull’s de facto No 1 is Max Verstappen, who incredibly 10 years ago at 15 years of age was just 18 months away from his F1 debut. Back then, Alonso divebombed his way from fifth on the grid to first at the chequered flag. His 2nd win in Barcelona; his first with Ferrari. The gap to Vettel was closed. But there would be no third title; in fact, from that point on there would be no grand prix wins at all. It remains 32 and counting. Not long after, Alonso departed Ferrari short of the third world championship he should have claimed. A series of near-misses with the Scuderia were followed by ignominy and embarrassment at his second coming with McLaren, amid engine issues in partnership with Honda. The scale of the downwards spiral, coupled with fruitless fighting at the back of the pack, saw Alonso call it a day himself at the end of 2018. Two years out was enough of a break, though. Not even impressive showings in IndyCar and Le Mans competed with the adrenaline-fuelled mayhem of F1. Returning with Alpine – the Renault team where he made his name and won his titles in 2005 and 2006 – Alonso was back in the midfield fight. A first podium in seven years was landed in Qatar in 2021. But as Alpine hesitated on a two-year deal last summer, Aston big boss Lawrence Stroll saw an opportunity to replace one multiple world champion with another. For both parties, and in contrast to so many of Alonso’s team tinkers in the past, it has proved a fruitful move. The Spaniard is third in the championship and has been on the podium in five of six races. Aston have given Alonso joy at long-last. His ecstasy is regularly heard on team radio, with advice to team-mate Lance Stroll not uncommon either. Simply, Alonso has a new lease of life, in what are his swansong years. Which bring us to this weekend and the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya. A crowd of 275,000 is expected over the weekend, the majority likely to be sporting the racing green of Aston. A storybook victor is not out of the question, after a missed opportunity last week in Monaco, but Alonso downplayed suggestions his team are in the running. “I don’t think realistically we can fight for the victory, let’s be clear,” he said. “Red Bull have been very dominant all season long and I don’t see any reason why, in Barcelona, they should not aim for a one-two. But let’s see what we can do. “Going into [any] race [in my career], I was fighting for whatever position with the mentality of getting that – the maximum from the cars. “Sometimes it’s P7, sometimes it’s a podium possibility. I know that in Formula 1 it has been a few years already, since Ferrari times, but in endurance I was going into every race winning the race and the world championship so it’s not that long ago.” It is a big weekend, too, for Mercedes. While the Silver Arrows brought in their highly-anticipated upgrade package in Monaco last week, this traditional testing track will bring a true assessment of its powers. Lewis Hamilton and George Russell wait, after a season-and-a-bit of turmoil, with baited breath. Of course, there is no doubting the clear frontrunners. Verstappen was brilliant in Monaco; his last-ditch pole lap setting in motion a win come Sunday. The Dutchman is 39 points clear of team-mate Sergio Perez in the championship and Red Bull will be eyeing another one-two here, matching last year’s result. Their straight-line speed, too, gives them a huge advantage, particularly in light of organisers ditching the unpopular final chicane, meaning cars will hit the main straight at greater pace. But Alonso is in with a shout. Aston have, beyond Mercedes and Ferrari, looked the team capable of bringing the fight to Red Bull. And there is no doubt their protagonist will be desperate to land that long-awaited victory in his homeland. Como 33 has been the phrase of the year, with even national sporting icons like Carlos Alcaraz pitching their support. Alonso claiming No 33, in Spain, would give F1 its moment of the season so far. Read More Monaco showed mesmeric Max Verstappen only has one obstacle to title – and it’s not Sergio Perez Lewis Hamilton warned not to expect instant results from Mercedes upgrade F1 race schedule: What time is the Spanish Grand Prix on Sunday? Monaco showed mesmeric Max only has one obstacle to title – and it’s not Sergio Perez Fernando Alonso: Aston Martin ‘will not give up’ in push for F1 triumph Concerns Monaco GP could be ‘left behind’ as Max Verstappen wins ‘boring race’
2023-06-02 15:28

'I couldn't even dress myself': Kim Kardashian admits she found designing daunting before Dolce & Gabbana collab
'It's the first time that I'm really gonna be independent on doing any kind of fashion product,' Kim Kardashian said
2023-06-02 15:28

How Turkey's president Erdogan has maintained a tight grip on power in the country
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan takes the oath of office and starts his third presidential term Saturday following his latest election win
2023-06-02 15:27

Who is AJ Benza? Journo who claimed Jamie Foxx is partially paralyzed and blind once called Donald Trump 'shameless and shrewd'
AJ Benza was recently in the news after he claimed that a blood clot in Jamie Foxx's brain had resulted in partial paralysis and loss of vision
2023-06-02 15:26

Billy Joel to end Madison Square Garden residency next year
Billy Joel's residency at Madison Square Garden in New York will come to an end next July.
2023-06-02 15:19

Tom Holland hints at shooting another Spider-Man movie
Tom Holland has suggested that he's open to making another Spider-Man film.
2023-06-02 15:19

Where is Jinger Duggar? Escaping the dark shadows of the Duggar dynasty
'The fear kept me crippled with anxiety. I was terrified of the outside world,' said Jinger Duggar
2023-06-02 15:18

Football rumours: Four clubs battle to sign Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse
What the papers say Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse is likely to leave the club this summer after their relegation to the Sky Bet Championship, with four clubs vying for his signature. Newcastle, Wolves, West Ham and Aston Villa are all keen to sign the England international who is valued at around £40million, The Sun says. Declan Rice has reportedly declared he wants to stay in the Premier League, ruling out a move to Bayern Munich, with Arsenal and Manchester United best placed to land the West Ham captain, according to the Daily Mail. The Sun says former Australia and current Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou could be announced as Tottenham’s new manager as early as next week. Brighton’s £30million bid for defender Levi Colwill, who was on loan at the club, has been rejected by Chelsea, the Daily Mail said. Social media round-up Players to watch Victor Osimhen: Newcastle have joined Manchester United in the race for the 24-year-old Nigerian striker, who currently plays for Serie A winners Napoli. Rasmus Hojlund: Manchester United have targeted the 20-year-old Atalanta striker who reportedly has a £52million price tag. Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live
2023-06-02 14:59