Chandrayaan-3: What has India's Moon rover Pragyaan been up to since landing?
Pragyaan has had an eventful week - dodging craters, taking the Moon's temperature and checking for sulphur.
2023-08-30 15:24
G20: Delhi tries to scare monkeys away from summit
Authorities have installed cut-outs of langurs at various locations in the Indian capital.
2023-08-30 15:15
On this day in 2015: Manchester City sign Kevin De Bruyne for club-record fee
Manchester City signed Belgium international Kevin De Bruyne from Wolfsburg, on this day in 2015. City paid a then club-record fee, reported to be in the region of £54million, for a man who has been at the heart of what they have achieved since. The 24-year-old, who arrived in the Premier League as Germany’s footballer of the year, signed an initial six-year contract to launch the latest, spectacularly-successful phase of his career. Born in the Drongen district of Ghent, De Bruyne began his professional career at Genk and was a Belgian title-winner in 2010-11, prompting Chelsea to invest £6.7million in his services in January 2012, although he remained at his first club for the remainder of that campaign before joining Werder Bremen on a season-long loan deal. The midfield schemer finally made his Blues debut in a 2-0 Premier League victory over Hull in August 2013, providing the assist for Oscar’s opening goal in an impressive display. However, that proved to be one of only nine senior appearances for the club and he was sold to Wolfsburg in the January of the following year. I just want to win Kevin De Bruyne Speaking shortly before his £18million departure for the Bundesliga, then Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho said: “We know that Kevin didn’t adapt very well to the difficult life a Chelsea player has.” If English football had proved testing for the blossoming Belgian, he found his feet in style in Germany and returned to the Premier League as one of the most promising talents in the world game when he arrived at the Etihad Stadium. He said at the time: “I just want to win. I won two cups at Wolfsburg and I just want to keep on winning and I think here’s a good chance to win some titles with a team who have a lot of quality players.” That has proved something of an understatement. Since making his City debut as a substitute in a 1-0 league win at Crystal Palace on September 12, 2015, De Bruyne has helped the club win the Champions League, five Premier League titles, two FA Cups and the League Cup on five occasions. Twice named PFA footballer of the year, he has also been capped 99 times and scored 26 goals for Belgium, whom he has represented at three World Cup finals tournaments. Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Andy Murray leads perfect day for Brits at US Open Injury withdrawal hands Carlos Alcaraz quick route into US Open second round Venus Williams knocked out by Greet Minnen in first round of US Open
2023-08-30 13:23
Toyota's global sales jump in July to hit monthly record
TOKYO Toyota Motor's July global sales rose 8% from the same month a year earlier to a record
2023-08-30 12:50
Explainer-What happened to shut down Toyota's production in Japan?
Toyota Motor was ramping back production at its Japan-based factories on Wednesday after a computer system processing orders
2023-08-30 12:17
Tennessee State House votes to 'silence' Rep. Justin Jones, 1 of 2 Democrats expelled earlier this year
The GOP-controlled Tennessee House of Representatives on Monday voted to silence one of two Democratic members expelled from the chamber earlier this year, as the legislature meets for a contentious special session on public safety spurred by a mass shooting at a Nashville school.
2023-08-30 11:19
NFL Rumors: Nick Bosa trade buzz, Cowboys squash narrative, Patriots hero makes a comeback
NFL rumors: Nick Bosa trade gets proposed, the Cowboys clarify their Trey Lance trade communication, and a Patriots' Super Bowl hero returns.
2023-08-30 09:17
Enzo Maresca hails Jamie Vardy as Leicester continue flying start to season
Leicester manager Enzo Maresca hailed the contribution of veteran striker Jamie Vardy as the Foxes continued their flying start to the season with a 2-0 Carabao Cup victory at Tranmere. Second-half strikes from Wilfred Ndidi and former England international Vardy proved the difference as the Championship side ran out 2-0 victors against their League Two opponents. It was a sixth win out of six for Leicester in all competitions this season and saw 36-year-old Vardy open his account for the campaign after returning to the starting line-up. Maresca said: “I’m happy to continue in this competition and I’m happy for the players, especially the young players who don’t play every week. “I’ve been really happy with Jamie Vardy because when a striker scores they are always happy for them as well as the team. “He’s been performing well when he starts and as well when he’s been on the bench and his contribution has been amazing.” The Foxes enjoyed large amounts of possession in the opening stages of the second-round clash at Prenton Park and had a number of chances to open the scoring with Harry Winks coming the closest after seven minutes. But the 2016 Premier League champions did not have it all their own way with Rovers growing in confidence and, after defending resolutely for half an hour, created some decent openings through Dan Pike and Josh Hawkes. The deadlock was finally broken nine minutes after the break when Ndidi’s effort from the right side of the box found its way into the net via both posts, and just four minutes later Vardy put the result beyond doubt with a close-range header from an Ndidi cross. Further chances fell to the visitors as Rovers pushed forward with Vardy and Ndidi who were both foiled by Joe Murphy, a veteran of the meeting between these two in the final of this competition at Wembley 23-years ago. Maresca added: “I was not happy at half-time so made some changes and we’ve played six games in around 20 days and we have one more to go before the international break. “We’ve won six from six now and all the attention now turns to the game on Saturday before the international break when some of the players can conserve their energy.” Despite the defeat, Tranmere manager Ian Dawes was keen to focus on the positives from the encounter. He said: “We knew going into the game today that they don’t make many changes, they go really strong and the manager takes the competition seriously. “We knew we had to get our defensive organisation right and we knew we needed to limit their chances on goal and push up as the game went on. “We had to stifle the game a little bit, keep possession and then make opportunities ourselves and I thought we did that really well and it all went to plan and they probably scored the first goal when we were on top. “We’ve got to be positive at the end of it, it still hurts getting beat and we obviously wanted to go through, but you’ve got to look at what they’ve got on the pitch. “You look at their team and they’ve still got Premier League players in their team and taking things into context we can be nothing but positive and we have to take that into Saturday against Wrexham.”
2023-08-30 06:50
World Cup coach Vera Pauw to leave Republic of Ireland role
Republic of Ireland women’s coach Vera Pauw will not have her contract renewed when her current deal expires this week. The Football Association of Ireland board has decided it does not want to retain the Dutchwoman’s services despite leading the country to their first World Cup this year. “On behalf of the Football Association of Ireland, we would like to thank Vera for her hard work and commitment over the past four years and wish her well for the future,” said FAI chief executive Jonathan Hill. “In particular, I wish to acknowledge the role she played in leading Ireland to the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 where our women’s team made history and inspired a nation.” Ireland failed to make the World Cup knockout stages after defeats to co-hosts Australia and Canada and a goalless draw with Nigeria. There were also reports of a strained relationship with captain Katie McCabe and in the build-up to the tournament Pauw was forced to address – and deny – long-standing allegations of “abusive and inappropriate” methods during her time as manager of Houston Dash. “The future is bright for women and girls’ football and our focus now is building upon the work done by Vera and the historic achievements of our women’s team, which we see as a platform to support the next phase of the journey for the team, and more broadly the development of women and girls’ football in this country,” added Hill.
2023-08-30 06:47
Thomas Frank hails Ellery Balcombe after Brentford beat Newport on penalties
Brentford boss Thomas Frank paid tribute to debutant goalkeeper Ellery Balcombe after his two spot-kick saves ensured the Bees edged past Newport 3-0 on penalties after a 1-1 draw at Rodney Parade. Mathias Jensen thought he had won the Carabao Cup tie for the visitors in the 88th minute but teenage substitute Kiban Rai headed home deep into stoppage time for the hosts to take the game to spot-kicks. Adam Lewis then hit a post with Newport’s first effort, before Balcombe saved from Nathan Wood and Bryn Morris, and Keane Lewis-Potter settled the contest in the Premier League side’s favour. “Our debut goalkeeper made fantastic saves in the shoot-out,” said Frank. “He’s been at the club since he was eight years old and it’s a fantastic story for him to make a debut like this with his family watching in the stadium. “We want to go far in the cup competitions, and you need to get the job done. We did that in the end.” Frank praised League Two County for their dogged display. “It’s all about getting through,” added the Dane, who was forced into bringing on Jensen, Bryan Mbeumo and Yoane Wissa after an hour. “Of course, we’d have loved to come here and win 3-0 but it’s never easy. “I had to bring on three more experienced guys. It’s always a balance. You want to play some of the ones who don’t play so much. With all due respect, that should be enough to win the game. But we just made it right in the end. “Big credit to Newport, I think they defended very well. They put a lot of effort into it and made it very difficult for us. “I could definitely see why they have created upsets in the past, and they’ve had a decent start to the season with three wins in the first five. I see them having a very good season.” Exiles manager Graham Coughlan had mixed emotions after a fantastic effort from his players. Midfielder Harry Charsley typified their performance, heading off the line to deny Lewis-Potter early on before heading just wide at the other end from an Omar Bogle cross. “I am proud of the lads. They will get all of the plaudits and pats on backs they deserve but, at the end of the day, you want to win football matches,” he said. “We were very good but that didn’t get us through to the next round and we want to be winners and to be successful. “We had probably the best chance of the game with Harry Charsley stealing into the six-yard box. “When you play the big boys, you need those moments and slices of luck.”
2023-08-30 06:28
Rob Edwards knows result all that matters as Luton edge past Gillingham
Luton boss Rob Edwards knew the result was all that mattered as the Hatters went through to the third round of the Carabao Cup by beating League Two Gillingham at Kenilworth Road. The hosts led 2-0 at half-time thanks to goals from Jacob Brown and Alfie Doughty, before Jayden Clarke pulled one back early in the second period. Cauley Woodrow then put Town 3-1 in front before Tom Nichols scored late on, only for Luton to hang on. Edwards said: “We could only win by winning the game, the expectancy was obviously on us, it’s a little bit different to the last couple of games we’ve had, so I feel very pleased. “We had quite a lot of changes, tweaked the shape a little bit, and I liked a lot of what I saw. “It was a good start and I thought we built on it as well. “We controlled pretty much all of the first half, going 2-0 up was great, a brilliant goal from Alfie and we spoke at half-time about the next goal. “The next goal was really important and the game could really hinge on that. “They got it, they probably had five or 10 minutes then when we had to deal with it, but we still looked OK. “Cauley’s goal settled us down but then we controlled it again until the very last couple of minutes. “There’s probably a reason we lacked a bit of fluency tonight, but there were a lot of good things I saw.” Brown opened his Luton account after just two minutes with a low drive into the bottom corner, before Doughty hammered in a brilliant 25-yarder following a clever free-kick routine. After the break, Clarke raced away to pull one back, as Ashley Nadesan and Macauley Bonne missed great chances to level the scoring. Woodrow’s terrific volley restored Luton’s two-goal lead after 66 minutes, before Nichols’ header led to a nervy finale, Jonny Williams denied an equaliser by Tim Krul in stoppage time. Gills boss Neil Harris said: “I’m really proud of the group, that was a fantastic second half against a Premier League side and to put them under pressure shows the character and personality as at 2-0 down after 35 minutes, teams may have crumbled against this level of opposition, but we didn’t. “We regrouped at half-time and had a right go second half. “I’m disappointed with the first goal, the second goal is a worldie, Premier League standard from Alfie, and the third one is against the run of play, again Premier League standard. “To get back it at 2-1, 3-2, having pressure at the end, we just didn’t have that next goal in us. “We could have scored but they’re the margins that you need when you go against the top sides.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Andoni Iraola lauds David Brooks as Bournemouth make Carabao Cup progress Thomas Frank hails Ellery Balcombe after Brentford beat Newport on penalties Alex Neil delight as new signings help Stoke hammer Rotherham in Carabao Cup
2023-08-30 06:23
Andoni Iraola lauds David Brooks as Bournemouth make Carabao Cup progress
Andoni Iraola hailed acting captain David Brooks for the role he played in Bournemouth’s 3-2 Carabao Cup win over Swansea as the Spaniard celebrated his first victory as Cherries boss. Brooks slotted home a second-half equaliser to cancel out Matt Grimes opener at the Swansea.Com Stadium as the Wales international celebrated his first competitive goal for over two years, and first since returning from cancer treatment. “He was the captain today, and it’s good that he scored. Like the others, he was much better second half,” said Iraola. “He’s trying to push himself and fight for a starting place. It is good to have this kind of competition.” A first goal for the club since his £25mmillion summer transfer from Hamed Traore then gave the Cherries the lead before Jamie Paterson tied matters up again in the 79th minute. Just as it looked as though the second-round tie would go to penalties, Ryan Christie rounded off a sweeping move in the first of eight added minutes to clinch victory for the Premier League visitors. “It was a game with two different halves. We started very badly and we were slow to move the ball,” said Iraola. “The second half was different and we were much quicker, and we moved higher up the pitch. But this is the cup and sometimes you have to suffer. “The attitude and willingness to attack the space in the second half was much better. We were more aware of the situations, and after half-time, the game was more open.” Iraola gave a first start of the season to Wales striker Kieffer Moore before substituting him at half-time. Moore remains a transfer target for his old club Cardiff, but Iraola says he is happy to keep him in his squad. “The situation is the same, it depends on whom leaves the club, but the market can go until the last day,” he added. “We are happy with Kieffer as he gives us different options. Right now, this is the situation, but it can change from one hour to another.” While Iraola had something to celebrate, it was another defeat for new Swansea boss Michael Duff. He said: “You don’t want to lose any game, but it would have been nice to have gone through. Ultimately, they still had to bring their big guns on to see us off. “The strength of their bench shows the gaps have got big again. The gulf between the leagues is now as big as it was 15 years ago. “There are loads of positives. We were really good for 25 minutes and then we defended well, too. There were other parts that were not so good and it’s about stitching the good parts together for 90 minutes.” Duff was delighted to see Paterson claim his goal, saying “He’s never had blistering pace, but he’s a jinker, has good feet and has real quality”, and admitted goalkeeper Steven Benda is on the verge of joining Premier League side Fulham. “It’s a deal that suits the player and the club. We know we need a few people in, but if we don’t, we don’t – we’ll just crack on,” added Duff. Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Rob Edwards knows result all that matters as Luton edge past Gillingham Thomas Frank hails Ellery Balcombe after Brentford beat Newport on penalties Alex Neil delight as new signings help Stoke hammer Rotherham in Carabao Cup
2023-08-30 06:22
