Veteran South African apartheid-era politician and Zulu prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi dies aged 95
Veteran apartheid-era South African politician and Zulu prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi has died aged 95, the country's president announced Saturday.
2023-09-10 00:49
G20 laments war in Ukraine but avoids blaming Russia
Leaders meeting in Delhi issue an ambiguous statement on the conflict, drawing criticism from Kyiv.
2023-09-10 00:20
Surveillance video released Friday shows Ta'Kiya Young inside store then encountering police before fatal shooting
Police in the Columbus, Ohio, suburb of Blendon Township have released redacted surveillance footage showing the moments leading up to the fatal officer shooting of a 21-year-old pregnant woman.
2023-09-09 23:56
Erling Haaland backs himself for 2023 Ballon d'Or
Erling Haaland admits he is among the favourites to win this year's Ballon d'Or.
2023-09-09 23:52
Demolition of Marilyn Monroe's former home in Los Angeles is on hold for now
Demolition of the Los Angeles area home where Marilyn Monroe spent her last months has been put on hold by Los Angeles City Council, following a last-minute motion aimed at designating the house a Historic-Cultural Monument.
2023-09-09 23:52
From leaf crisps to pudding, India’s ‘super food’ millet finds its way onto the G20 dinner menu
When the Group of 20 nation leaders arrived in host country India, they were feted by a classic Indian formula of Bollywood song and dance on the tarmac
2023-09-09 23:48
When do Barcelona play next? Next six games after international break
90min looks at Barcelona's next six fixtures after the international break with clashes against Sevilla, Real Betis and Porto on the horizon in La Liga and the Champions League.
2023-09-09 22:58
Liverpool handed major boost as midfielder makes injury comeback
Liverpool have been strengthened by the return of Stefan Bajcetic to competitive action, who was sidelined for several months with an abductor tear.
2023-09-09 22:54
‘Zip-tie guy’ and his mother sentenced to prison for January 6 crimes
A mother-and-son duo who carried zip ties as they searched for lawmakers after breaching the US Capitol were sentenced to federal prison for several felony and misdemeanor charges in connection with the riots. Eric Munchel, 32, dubbed “zip-tie guy” on social media, was sentenced to nearly five years in prison followed by 36 months of supervised release on 8 September. His mother Lisa Marie Eisenhart, 59, was sentenced to more than two years in prison followed by 36 months of supervised release. They each have been ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution. They were convicted earlier this year on obstruction and conspiracy charges, and Munchel – who was armed with a Taser – was additionally found guilty of disorderly or disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds with a deadly or dangerous weapon and unauthorised possession of a deadly or dangerous weapon on Capitol grounds. Photos and videos captured Munchel carrying plastic zip tie-style handcuffs they allegedly stole from inside a closet at the Capitol. “Zip ties! I need to get me some of them mother*******,” Munchel can be heard in video footage. As they made their way into the Senate Gallery, with Munchel shouting “I want that f****** gavel,” the pair wondered aloud where the “traitors” and “cowards” who evacuated the chamber had gone. The US Department of Justice said the pair were looking for “potential hostages”. Munchel’s cell phone, mounted to the outside of his tactical vest, recorded a nearly hour-long video of his approach and his time inside the Capitol, which prosecutors used as evidence against them. “We’re going straight to federal prison if we go in there with weapons,” Eisenhart told Munchel, according to court records. Eisenhart – who wore a Donald Trump-supporting “Keep America Great Again” beanie – and her son had “prepared for violence” on 6 January 2021, and “projected their willingness to engage in it” as lawmakers convened to certify the results of the 2020 presidential election that Mr Trump lost, according to prosecutors. They also “openly declared to a reporter that their intent in storming and entering the Capitol was to intimidate Congress,” prosecutors wrote in court filings. “What is America for?” Eisenhart told a reporter with The Times of London on 7 January 2021. “I’d rather die as a 57-year-old woman than live under oppression. I’d rather die and would rather fight.” “With the 2024 presidential election approaching, a rematch on the horizon, and many loud voices in the media and online continuing to sow discord and distrust, the potential for a repeat of January 6 looms ominously,” prosecutors wrote. The sentences imposed by US District Court Judge Royce C Lamberth came days after five members of the neo-fascist Proud Boys gang were handed down some of the longest prison terms to date among the hundreds of people charged in connection to the attack. Now-former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio was sentenced to 22 years in prison after a jury found him and three other members of the group guilty of seditious conspiracy, among a number of other crimes connected to their planning and actions on January 6. The sentence is the longest yet among Capitol riot defendants. More than 1,100 people have been arrested and charged for crimes related to the assault on Congress. Read More Convicted Proud Boys turned down plea deals that could have halved their prison time, documents show ‘Donald Trump’s army’: Proud Boys members face decades in prison for January 6 sedition Meadows fails in bid to move Trump Georgia case as Graham and Flynn named in jury report – live Trump is notably absent from historic and urgent call to protect democracy by 13 former presidents Proud Boys ringleader Enrique Tarrio sentenced to 22 years in prison for Jan 6 attack
2023-09-09 22:48
Erling Haaland discusses Jude Bellingham's 'incredible' start at Real Madrid
Erling Haaland revealed his pleasure at watching former Borussia Dortmund teammate Jude Bellingham succeed early on in his Real Madrid career.
2023-09-09 22:23
States step in to pay for school meals for all kids
After the expiration of a federal program that provided funding for free meals for all students, nine states are picking up the tab for pupils' breakfast and lunch.
2023-09-09 22:22
Morocco earthquake: What we know
A look at what is known about the quake that has claimed the lives of more than 800 people.
2023-09-09 21:58
