
California, Arizona, Nevada offer landmark drought deal to use less Colorado River water — for now
Arizona, California and Nevada on Monday proposed a deal to significantly cut their water use from the drought-stricken Colorado River over the next three years
2023-05-23 01:48

Rob McElhenney and Kaitlin Olson dispel split rumors through witty tweets: 'Not with someone from Wales'
'It was me who had the affair. But it was not with someone from Wales. It was with a whale,' wrote Kaitlin Olson
2023-07-05 04:51

Swiss vote on net-zero climate law
The Swiss, feeling the impact of global warming on their rapidly melting glaciers, were voting on Sunday on a new climate bill aimed at steering the...
2023-06-18 16:45

Who is Adam Peaty? Gordon Ramsay's daughter Holly and 'AGT' star make their relationship official
Adam Peaty dropped white emoticons on Gordon Ramsay's daughter Holly's new post
2023-06-13 10:52

Millennial called a 'PR nightmare' by Gen Z friend for how she wore sunglasses
If TikTok has taught us anything, it’s that Gen Z as a group hold a lot of opinions, especially when it comes to Millennials. A viral video recently proved this point as a millennial person was called “PR nightmare” by their Gen Z friend for the way they wear sunglasses. In the clip, a group of friends appeared to be sunbathing. The millennial who was filming it informed viewers that her friend had made fun of her friend for the way she wore her sunglasses. The woman joked that she had been on the receiving of “bullying” all day and was called a “PR nightmare” by her younger friend. She proceeded to show people how she wears them, by placing them on her face in a normal-looking way. But, her Gen Z friend next to her laughed and said “it’s so shoved into your face”. She continued, saying she looks like “a dad that wears a visor”. The Gen Z-er explained the “normal” way is to have them “mid-nose”. The clip ended with asking viewers which way they wear them, sparking a debate in the comments. @jordanharpernp tough to keep uo with the trends these days ? #millennialsoftiktok #millenialvsgenz #millennial “The dad way… I’m trying to stop the wrinkles from appearing,” one user commented. Another simply wrote: “I am learning that Gen-Z thinks a lot and I do not care enough to think about these things.” Someone else said: “I mean I wear them in such a way that they block the sun from my eyes.” One person added: “I didn’t know there was a wrong way to wear sunglasses. I just put them on.” The Gen Z vs. Millennial debate appears to show no sign of stopping. Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-09-14 22:18

Paris shooting: Where are the riots in France and why are they happening?
France’s President Emmanuel Macron is chairing a crisis meeting of senior ministers in the wake of a second night of rioting following the police killing of a 17-year-old boy, identified as Nahel, in the Paris suburb of Nanterre. There were 150 arrests across the country into Thursday. Police and firefighters struggled to contain protesters and extinguish numerous blazes through the night that damaged schools, police stations and town halls or other public buildings, according to a spokesperson for the national police. Authorities also re fires or skirmishes in multiple cities overnight, from Toulouse in the south to Lille in the north – although the nexus remained Nanterre and the surrounding areas. What happened during the shooting? The 17-year-old, identified as Nahel, was driving a car on Tuesday morning when he was pulled over for breaking traffic rules, prosecutors said. The teenager was too young to hold a full driving license in France. Police initially reported that one officer had shot at the teenager because he was driving his car towards him. But this version of events was quickly contradicted by a video circulating on social media. On Thursday, The Nanterre prosecutor said that witness statements, CCTV video footage, amateur video footage, and statements from police offers were being used to piece together the timeline of events from Tuesday morning. Pascal Prache confirmed that two motorcycle police noticed a Mercedes, with one young driver and two passengers travelling quickly in a bus lane at 7:55am on Tuesday. Police twice attempted to indicate to the car to pull over and park, but the driver continued driving and the two police pursued the vehicle. The Mercedes had to stop at a at a traffic light, at which point the police asked the driver to turn off engine and exit the vehicle. The police officers said they drew their weapons and aimed them at the driver to stop him from taking off in the vehicle. However, the driver did pull away at which point the police decided to shoot. A bullet hit the driver through arm and chest, and the car crashed. One of the passengers fled. Firefighters were called to the scene at 8:21am. They provided first aid to the driver which was unsuccessful. The officer who fired a single shot said he wanted to prevent the car from leaving and because he feared someone may be hit by the car, including himself or his colleague, according to Mr Prache. The police officer is being investigated for voluntary homicide for shooting Nahel. Based on an initial investigation, the prosector Mr Prache said, he concluded that "the conditions for the legal use of the weapon were not met." How did the riots begin? Nahel was of North African descent. The incident has fed longstanding complaints of police violence and systemic racism inside law enforcement agencies from rights groups and within the ethnically diverse suburbs that ring major cities in France. Several people have died or sustained injuries at the hands of French police in recent years, prompting demands for more accountability. France also saw protests against racial profiling and other injustice in the wake of George Floyd’s killing by police in Minnesota. Tuesday’s killing was the third fatal shooting during traffic stops in France so far in 2023. Last year there were a record 13 such shootings, a spokesperson for the national police said. There were three such killings in 2021 and two in 2020, according to a Reuters tally, which shows the majority of victims since 2017 were Black or of Arab origin. Clashes first erupted Tuesday night in and around the Paris suburb of Nanterre, where Nahel was killed. Bins were set alight and some protesters threw fireworks at police. Officers used tear gas on the crowds. The government deployed 2,000 police to maintain order Wednesday. But violence resumed after dusk. How far have the riots spread? Police and firefighters struggled to contain protesters and extinguish numerous blazes through the night that damaged schools, police stations and town halls or other public buildings, according to a spokesperson for the national police. The national police on Thursday reported fires or skirmishes in multiple cities overnight, from Toulouse in the south to Lille in the north, though the nexus of tensions was Nanterre and other Paris suburbs. Police arrested 180 people around the country on Wednesday night, more than half of them in the Paris region. The interior minister, Gerald Darmanin, said 170 officers had been injured in the unrest but none of the injuries were life-threatening. The unrest has revived memories of riots in 2005 that convulsed France for three weeks and forced then-president Jacques Chirac to declare a state of emergency. That wave of violence erupted in the Paris suburb of Clichy-sous-Bois and spread across the country following the death of two young people electrocuted in a power substation as they hid from police. Two officers were acquitted in a trial ten years later. What has been the response from the government? President Emmanuel Macron held a crisis meeting with senior ministers over the shooting on Thursday morning and Mr Darmanin announced afterwards that 40,000 policemen would be deployed across the country, including 5,000 in the Paris region, on Thursday evening to put on end to the unrest. "The response of the state must be extremely firm," Mr Darmanin said. Both Darmanin and the prime minister, Elisabeth Borne, have ruled out declaring a state of emergency for now. On Wednesday, Mr Macron had said the shooting was unforgivable. As he convened his emergency meeting he also condemned the unrest. "The last few hours have been marked by scenes of violence against police stations but also schools and town halls, and thus institutions of the Republic and these scenes are wholly unjustifiable," he said. Reuters and the Associated Press contributed to this report Read More Who is Nahel M? The teen shot dead by police in France Fiery protests grip France for 3rd night over deadly police shooting of a teenager French suburbs are burning. How a teen's killing is focusing anger over police tactics ‘This is war’: France burns amid angry protests after teenager shot dead by police France’s highest administrative court says the soccer federation can ban headscarves in matches AP News Digest 3:15 am
2023-06-30 15:47

Ryan Garcia vs Oscar Duarte live stream: How to watch fight online and on TV this weekend
Ryan Garcia is out to bounce back from his first professional loss this weekend, as he takes on Oscar Duarte in Texas. Garcia was stopped by Gervonta “Tank” Davis in April after suffering a body shot in Round 7, leading the 25-year-old to come under criticism for failing to continue. He will look to silence his doubters on Saturday, as he returns to the ring but at a higher weight class, to face heavy-hitter Duarte. American Garcia is a former interim lightweight champion whose standout win so far came against Luke Campbell, and he is moving up to super-lightweight here, where Duarte awaits. The Mexican, 27, is on an 11-fight streak of stoppage wins, following the sole loss of his pro career in 2019. Here’s all you need to know. We may earn commission from some of the links in this article, but we never allow this to influence our content. This revenue helps to fund journalism across The Independent. When is the fight? Garcia vs Duarte will take place on Saturday 2 December at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas. The main card is set to start at 1am GMT on Sunday 3 December (5pm PT, 7pm CT, 8pm ET on Saturday), with ring walks for the main event due at around 4am GMT on Sunday (8pm PT, 10pm CT, 11pm ET on Saturday). How can I watch it? The fight will air live on Dazn in over 200 countries, including the UK and US. A subscription to the streaming service is available here, with monthly costs starting from £9.99. Dazn works on web browsers as well as the TVs and devices listed here. Odds Garcia – 2/9 Duarte – 7/2 Draw – 16/1 Via Betway. • Get all the latest boxing betting sites’ offers Full card (subject to change) Ryan Garcia vs Oscar Duarte (super-lightweight) Floyd Schofield vs Ricardo Lopez (lightweight) Shane Mosley Jr vs Joshua Conley (middleweight) Darius Fulghum vs Pachino Hill (light-heavyweight) Asa Stevens vs Dominique Griffin (super-bantamweight) Gael Cabrera vs Alejandro Dominguez (bantamweight) Sean Garcia vs Joseph Johnson (lightweight) Danilo Diez vs Jorge Lopez (super-lightweight) Read More What is an exhibition fight and how is it different to a professional bout? The Independent’s pound-for-pound boxing rankings Eddie Hearn rejects BBBofC stance on Benn and Eubank Jr fighting in London What is an exhibition fight and how is it different to a professional bout? The Independent’s pound-for-pound boxing rankings Eddie Hearn rejects BBBofC stance on Benn and Eubank Jr fighting in London
2023-11-30 23:25

How Hong Kong became a fencing powerhouse and cheered up a city
Hong Kong is one of the smaller Asian Games teams by population, but when it comes to fencing the city is a regional...
2023-09-19 13:47

Cardinals still struggling to find ways to win. Now injuries are beginning to pile up
The long-term prognosis for the Arizona Cardinals remains encouraging after five games under first-year coach Jonathan Gannon
2023-10-10 07:20

Putin could restart banned nuclear tests as Russian parliament ordered to review treaty
Vladimir Putin has given Russian lawmakers 10 days to find how best to revoke Moscow’s ratification of a critical nuclear treaty which bans Russia from testing atomic weapons shortly after he suggested the possibility of resuming such testing. The chair of the State Duma (lower house of parliament) Vyacheslav Volodin and other parliament heads laid out a deadline for Russian lawmakers to study the de-ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) option until 18 October, a statement from the Duma read. Mr Volodin said revoking the ratification on testing nuclear weapons will be in Russia’s national interest as he discussed the matter with parliamentary leaders on Monday. If revoked, Russia will signal a warning to the US that Moscow can fundamentally change the assumptions of post-Cold War nuclear planning. This comes just four days after Mr Putin said that Russia’s nuclear doctrine – which determines the conditions in which he would press the nuclear button – did not need updating. But he added that Russia could look at revoking ratification of the significant nuclear treaty to bring it into line with the United States, which has signed but not ratified the pact. The US has previously said Russia’s pulling out from the treaty will endanger "the global norm" against nuclear test blasts. In a U-turn from Mr Putin’s remarks on Friday, his envoy to the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) said Moscow would revoke its ratification of the pact. Western security analysts have said such a step from Moscow will be a reminder that it still possesses the world’s largest nuclear arsenal at a time when it is locked in a standoff with the West over Ukraine. If Russia goes ahead with a nuclear test, it could encourage others such as the US or China to retaliate in a similar test and renew a fresh wave of nuclear arms race between the global superpowers. These nations have not carried out nuclear tests after the Soviet Union collapse in 1991. Russia’s actions have sparked concern, said Robert Floyd, head of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban-Treaty Organization. He added that he is in touch with senior Russian officials to make the case for continued ratification, something he said was in the interest of humanity as a whole. Mr Floyd had requested a meeting with "key leaders" in Moscow as soon as possible, he said. "The CTBTO operates a global monitoring system which can detect a nuclear test explosion anytime, anywhere," he said in a statement. "Banning nuclear testing remains essential to preventing the spread of nuclear weapons and to safeguarding current and future generations from the harmful effects of explosive nuclear testing." The de-ratification move can take “Russia and the world backward to a dangerous era of tit-for-tat nuclear threats”, said Daryl Kimball, executive director of the Washington-based Arms Control Association. Read More Ukraine-Russia war – live: It is in Russia’s interests to inflame war in the Middle East, says Zelensky Russia reports coolant leak in backup line at space station and says crew not in danger Ukraine advances in east and south with more ‘partial success’ even as rain muddies battlefield Ukraine repels Russian attacks on five fronts as Putin resorts to old weaponry and reserves Satellite images show spike in border activity as North Korea ‘supplies weapons to Russia’ for Ukraine war
2023-10-10 14:16

Mauricio Pochettino holds talks with Levi Colwill over Chelsea future
Mauricio Pochettino reflects on his conversation with Levi Colwill during Chelsea's pre-season camp.
2023-07-19 02:27

Russia has 'sufficient stockpile' of cluster bombs, says Putin, as Ukraine gets US cluster bombs
Russian President Vladimir Putin said in an interview published Sunday that Russia had a “sufficient stockpile” of cluster munitions, warning that Russia “reserves the right to take reciprocal action” if Ukraine uses the controversial weapons
2023-07-16 17:48
You Might Like...

Netflix ad tier now has nearly 5 million monthly active users

Moss upstages Taylor's return in Colts' 23-16 victory over Titans. Richardson injures shoulder

AP News Digest 3:05 a.m.

Northwestern football coach Pat Fitzgerald has been 'relieved of duty' after hazing claims

Hearst Television pulls local channels for Dish customers

Oil Drops as Likely Fed Hike Weighed Against Tightening Market

Who is Hunter Hoffman? 'Hoffman Family Gold' star shocks father Todd as he reveals he does not want to work with him

Surgeons in New York announce world's first eye transplant