
Maiden Pharmaceuticals: Fury in The Gambia a year after cough syrup deaths
Grieving parents say regulators in both India and The Gambia failed their young children.
2023-08-21 07:15

Garrett Mitchell returns to Milwaukee lineup as the Brewers beat the St. Louis Cardinals 3-0
Garrett Mitchell doubled, walked twice and scored in his first big league game since April, and the Milwaukee Brewers beat the St. Louis Cardinals 3-0
2023-09-29 07:19

A newly formed alliance between coup-hit countries in Africa’s Sahel is seen as tool for legitimacy
Three West African nations led by military juntas met this week to strengthen a newly formed alliance described by some analysts on Friday as an attempt to legitimize their military governments amid coup-related sanctions and strained relations with neighbors. In his first foreign trip since the July coup that brought him into power, Niger’s junta leader, Gen. Abdourahmane Tchiani held separate meetings Thursday with his Mali and Burkina Faso counterparts. During their meetings, the leaders pledged security and political collaborations under the Alliance of Sahel States (AES), a partnership the three countries announced in September as a measure to help fight the extremist violence they each struggle with and across the Sahel, the vast arid expanse south of the Sahara Desert. The alliance provides a “path of sovereignty” for the countries and for their citizens, Gen. Tchiani told reporters after his meeting with Malian leader Col. Assimi Goita. “Through this alliance, the peoples of the Sahel affirm that … nothing will prevent them from the objective of making this area of ​​the Sahel, not an area of ​​insecurity, but an area of ​​prosperity,” Tchiani said. In reality, though, the partnership "is in part an effort to entrench and legitimize (their) military governments” more than to tackle the violent extremism which they have limited capacity to fight, said Nate Allen, an associate professor at the Africa Center for Strategic Studies. The violence across the Sahel has contributed to a recent surge of coups in the region and militaries that claimed they took over power to help tackle their country's security challenges have struggled to do so. On Thursday, Gen. Tchiani partly blamed the violence on foreign powers, repeating claims his government has often made against France — which had been influential in the three countries before being forced out after their militaries took over — and against West Africa’s regional bloc of ECOWAS, which has heavily sanctioned Niger as a measure to reverse the surge of coups in the region. The new partnership also offers the military governments of Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger an opportunity "to say, ‘we are not internationally isolated and we actually have partners that share our ideology and philosophy’,” said James Barnett, a researcher specializing in West Africa at the U.S.-based Hudson Institute. Some analysts, however, believe that by pooling their resources together, those countries are able to reduce individual reliance on foreign countries and tackle the security challenge with one front. “The merit of this new alliance, despite its limited means and capabilities, lies in its initiation by concerned members," said Bedr Issa, an independent analyst who researches the conflict in the Sahel. "Its long-term success depends both on the resources that member countries can mobilize and the support that Africans and the broader international community could provide,” he added. In the Malian capital of Bamako, 35-year-old Aissata Sanogo expressed hope that such a partnership could be useful. “It’s important that we take charge of our own security,” said Sanogo. “That’s what I’m expecting from this alliance.” ____ Associated Press journalist Baba Ahmed in Bamako, Mali, contributed to this report. ____ Follow AP’s Africa coverage at: https://apnews.com/hub/africa Read More Victims in Niagara Falls border bridge crash identified as Western New York couple Mexico's arrest of cartel security boss who attacked army families' complex was likely personal Argentina and Brazil charged by FIFA after fan violence delays World Cup qualifying game at Maracana Germany's economy shrank, and it's facing a spending crisis that's spreading more gloom NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn't happen this week Putin to boost AI work in Russia to fight a Western monopoly he says is 'unacceptable and dangerous'
2023-11-25 01:57

Water discovered to be leaking from Earth's crust into the planet's core
There is much we still don’t know about the inside of our planet – but scientists recently discovered water is slowly leaking down there from the surface. It’s not a simple journey. The liquid is dripping down descending tectonic plates, before eventually reaching the core after a 2,900 kilometre journey. And while the process is slow, it has over billions of years formed a new surface between the molten metal of the outer core and the outer mantle of the Earth. In a new study, scientists at Arizona State University have said the water is triggering a chemical reaction, creating the new layer, which is “few hundred kilometres thick”. (That’s “thin” when it comes to the inner layers of the Earth.) “For years, it has been believed that material exchange between Earth's core and mantle is small. Yet, our recent high-pressure experiments reveal a different story. “We found that when water reaches the core-mantle boundary, it reacts with silicon in the core, forming silica," co-author Dr Dan Shim wrote. “This discovery, along with our previous observation of diamonds forming from water reacting with carbon in iron liquid under extreme pressure, points to a far more dynamic core-mantle interaction, suggesting substantial material exchange.” So what does it mean for all of us up on the surface? The ASU release said: “This finding advances our understanding of Earth's internal processes, suggesting a more extensive global water cycle than previously recognised. “The altered ‘film’ of the core has profound implications for the geochemical cycles that connect the surface-water cycle with the deep metallic core.” How to join the indy100's free WhatsApp channel Sign up to our free indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-11-16 21:19

Toto Wolff and Fred Vasseur face punishment over ‘swearing’ in Las Vegas
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff and Ferrari chief Fred Vassuer have been summoned to see the FIA stewards over their conduct in a heated press conference in Las Vegas last week. The team principals’ presser took place on Thursday night at F1’s newest race, after a first practice abruptly curtailed following a manhole cover incident, with Carlos Sainz’s Ferrari badly damaged in the incident. Vasseur was scathing of Formula 1 at the start of the press conference, labelling the incident “unacceptable” before adding “we’ve f***ed up the session for Carlos”. To add salt to the wounds, the damage sustained resulted in Sainz taking an extra power unit, thereby exceeding his season’s allocation and he received a 10-place grid penalty for the race on Saturday night. Wolff, however, defended the sport after being questioned about whether the incident was a “black eye” for Formula 1 – before adding “you’re speaking about a f***ing drain cover that’s come undone, that’s nothing.” Reports on Thursday state that the pair have been summoned due to swearing in the press conference and their conduct in positions of responsibility. Wolff and Vasseur will see the stewards on Thursday evening in Abu Dhabi. The FIA statement emphasised the use of “certain language”, adding that the purpose of the hearing is to see if there’s been a breach of the rules and “if so, what if any action should follow.” F1’s return to Vegas for the first time in 41 years started in farcical fashion last week when FP1 was cancelled after just eight minutes. Wolff said: “It is a Thursday night. We have a free practice 1 that we’re not doing, they’re going to seal the drain covers. Nobody is going to talk about that tomorrow morning.” Yet when prompted by a journalist saying it’s “absolutely rubbish”, Wolff erupted. “It’s completely ridiculous,” he said. “How can you even dare talk bad about an event that sets the new standards to everything? “And then you’re speaking about a f****** drain cover that’s come undone, that’s nothing. It’s FP1, give credit to the people that have set up this grand prix. That have made this sport much bigger than it ever was. “Have you ever spoken about someone or written a good word? You should about all these people that have been out here. Liberty [F1 owners] have done an awesome job and just because in FP1 a drain cover has come undone we shouldn’t be moaning.” Read More ‘He’s stirring things!’ Lewis Hamilton takes aim at Christian Horner Why are Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen missing first practice in Abu Dhabi? Hamilton ‘made contact with Red Bull and Ferrari’ before signing new Mercedes deal Guenther Steiner to produce new hit ‘workplace comedy’ show F1 Juniors broadcast an admirable idea – but all kids want to be is grown up Mick Schumacher returns to racing with Alpine in 2024
2023-11-23 21:57

Anti-graft watchdog withdraws award for Kenya's chief prosecutor
NAIROBI Anti-graft watchdog Transparency International has withdrawn an award it gave Kenya's outgoing chief prosecutor, it said on
2023-05-26 21:20

Who is Donna Hansbrough? Lowe's Georgia employee fired after she attempts to stop shoplifters from stealing goods worth over $2,000
Donna Hansbrough, a 13-year Lowe's employee, was fired for violating a company policy that states workers must not intervene during shoplifting events
2023-07-23 14:29

Kyle Freeland throws 6 solid innings in Rockies' 3-2 victory over Diamondbacks
Kyle Freeland threw six solid innings, rookie Nolan Jones added an RBI double and the Colorado Rockies beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 3-2 on Tuesday night
2023-09-06 12:50

Wisk Brings Autonomous Air Taxi to Heart of Washington DC
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep 5, 2023--
2023-09-06 00:28

Liam Neeson called raising his sons a ‘joyful worry’ as he prioritized them over grieving for wife Natasha Richardson’s death
Liam Neeson and his late wife, actress Natasha Richardson, had a blissful marriage and he adores their two sons
2023-06-14 18:20

New Zealand's Santner ready for 'spinny' World Cup challenge
New Zealand's in-form all-rounder Mitchell Santner said Monday the Black Caps are ready for "spinny" wickets...
2023-10-10 02:56

StanChart’s Asia CEO Ready for Bumpy Road, Bets on China Wealth
Standard Chartered Plc’s Asia Chief Executive Officer Benjamin Hung is convinced the Chinese wealth spigots will keep on
2023-08-22 08:15
You Might Like...

How tall is Ja Morant? Memphis Grizzlies star dominates games despite his not-so-typical basketball height

G7: Taking a stand against China's economic coercion

Covalon Presents Innovative Solutions Used in Top Hospitals at the Association for Vascular Access (AVA) Annual Scientific Meeting in Portland, OR

Putin’s Central Bank Is Also on the Battlefield in Ukraine

The Browns sent a message in Week 1. Winning in Pittsburgh on Monday night could send a bigger one

Yankees rumors: 3 players Brian Cashman should have traded at the deadline, but didn't

Mother of 6-year-old who shot Virginia teacher gets 21 months in prison

Alphabet CEO Pichai Grilled on Record-Keeping at Google Play Trial