
Small shops boom as Cuban private sector takes hold
Like mushrooms after the rain, small stores are springing up all over Havana, many run from homes or garages as the private sector finally gains...
2023-06-09 09:15

UK summit tackles the risks from cutting-edge AI. Kamala Harris says more must be done right now
Delegates from 28 nations, including the U.S. and China, have agreed to work together to contain the potential “catastrophic” risks posed by galloping advances in artificial intelligence
2023-11-01 23:28

Job vacancies, quits plunge in July in stark sign of cooling trend in the US job market
Businesses posted far fewer open jobs in July and the number of Americans quitting their jobs fell sharply for the second straight month, clear signs that the labor market is cooling in a way that could reduce inflation
2023-08-29 22:45

Watch: India becomes first country to make historic moon landing on planet's south pole
This is the moment India made its historic first landing on the moon's south pole, just days after Russia's attempt ended in a crash. India's attempt to land its Chandrayaan-2 mission near the south pole in 2019 was unsuccessful, but the Chandrayaan-3 mission went off without a hitch. The lander, known as Vikram, touched down at 13:34 BST. It's thought no attempts have been successful so far because of its rocky landscape, making it difficult to find somewhere to land safely. Sign up to our new free Indy100 weekly newsletter
2023-08-23 20:53

South Carolina inmates want executions paused while new lethal injection method is studied
Lawyers for six death row inmates out of appeals in South Carolina are asking the state Supreme Court to not immediately restart executions after the state announced it has a drug to restart lethal injections
2023-09-30 06:47

Vanessa Hudgens reveals her 'biggest beauty culture shock'
Vanessa Hudgens wants everyone to know she is Filipino.
2023-09-15 18:20

Brandon Miller booed by Hornets fans watching the draft in Spectrum Center
Charlotte Hornets fans gathered in the Spectrum Center were displeased with the team's decision to select Brandon Miller No. 2 overall in the 2023 NBA Draft.The Charlotte Hornets surprised nobody with their decision to select Alabama's Brandon Miller with the No. 2 pick in Thursday nig...
2023-06-24 05:53

Gareth Southgate hopes racist abuse suffered by Vinicius Junior forces change
Gareth Southgate believes the fight against racism in football may have reached a defining moment as the fall-out from the abuse levelled against Real Madrid’s Vinicius Junior in Valencia last weekend continues. The England boss has led calls for stricter punishment since his side came close to walking off the field after some players were subjected to racial abuse during a match in Bulgaria in 2019. Vinicius threatened to leave the pitch in the second half of Sunday’s LaLiga match at the Mestalla after being subjected to alleged monkey chants from the crowd and Real Madrid, who said the incident constituted a “hate crime”, filed a complaint with the Spanish State Attorney General’s Office. In response, Valencia were given a partial stadium ban for five matches plus a fine of 45,000 euros (£39,000) – a punishment the club called “totally disproportionate”, while Valencia head coach Ruben Baraja vowed to lead the fight back against what he described as “smears”. Southgate said: “It is a disgusting situation. I think it is so bad that it looks like it is going to force change. I am hoping there will be something positive to come from it. “If anyone suggests to me we don’t have a problem in society with racism then there is another example of what we are dealing with, and more examples of people burying their heads in the sand, quite frankly. “Hopefully it is a story that doesn’t just disappear in 24-48 hours without there being some significant change.” The action by the Spanish football federation (RFEF), who order that Valencia shut the Mario Kempes south stand, where the alleged abuse happened, for five matches, was strongly criticised by the club, who vowed to appeal. That criticism was echoed by Baraja in a prepared statement prior to a press conference on Wednesday, in which he stressed he was “absolutely against racism”, but added: “I am not going to allow the Valencia CF fans and Mestalla to be smeared with labels that do not represent us. “Just as a player rightly fights back against insults and I support that with all my might, we as a club and a fanbase rebel against those who, during the days since the game, have accused us of being what we are not.” Earlier, Valencia had issued a robust statement against the ruling, saying: “Valencia CF wishes to show its total disagreement and indignation at the unfair and disproportionate penalty imposed by the competition committee on the club with the closure of the stand for five games. “Valencia CF wants to publicly denounce that in this resolution of the RFEF competition committee they show evidence that contradicts what the national police and LaLiga say. “In addition, this sanction is based on evidence that the club has not been able to see and without giving us a hearing. Valencia CF will appeal to the last instance the closure of the stand, a sanction that it considers totally unfair and one more offense in the latest disciplinary decisions that have been taken against the club Valencia official statement “Valencia CF has condemned, condemns and will condemn in the most energetic way any act of racism or violence. These behaviours have no place in football or in society and we will continue to act in the most forceful way to eradicate this scourge. “For this reason, Valencia CF is collaborating from the first minute with the police and all relevant authorities to clarify the events that occurred last Sunday. “In addition, it has applied the maximum possible sanction with the expulsion for life from our stadium to the fans that the police have identified for their racist behaviour. “For this reason we consider that penalising and depriving all the fans who were not involved in these unfortunate incidents from seeing their team is a totally disproportionate, unfair and unprecedented measure against which we will fight. “The fight against racism requires the real commitment of all the parties involved without using it as a pretext to incur serious injustices. “Valencia CF will appeal to the last instance the closure of the stand, a sanction that it considers totally unfair and one more offence in the latest disciplinary decisions that have been taken against the club. Valencia CF asks for the utmost respect and rigour for our institution and fans.” In announcing the punishment against Valencia, the RFEF said in a statement: “The competition committee has sanctioned Valencia CF with the partial closure of the Mestalla stadium for five matches, more specifically the Mario Kempes south stand, following the events that occurred during the league match between the local team and Real Madrid CF. “It is considered proven that, as reflected by the referee in his minutes, there were racist shouts at Vinicius, a Real Madrid CF player, during the aforementioned match, altering the normal course of the match and considering the infractions very serious.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Jos Buttler excited to be part of Lancashire’s Vitality Blast campaign No regrets for Eddie Jones as he relishes Twickenham return with Barbarians LTA’s fine for banning players contributes to operating losses of £9.5million
2023-05-24 22:53

Rotterdam hospital official says questions were raised over alleged gunman's mental state
A Rotterdam hospital official says that a medical student accused of killing three people in shootings at an apartment and a hospital in the Dutch city of Rotterdam had been undergoing psychological examinations to establish whether he was mentally fit to become a doctor
2023-09-29 19:18

Nine people wounded in targeted shooting in San Francisco
Nine people were wounded in a shooting in San Francisco that police describe as “targeted and isolated”. The shooting took place on Friday evening in the Mission District. The authorities have signalled that all those injured are likely to survive, according to CBS News. Police responded to the shooting at about 9pm in the area close to 24th Street and Treat Avenue. After 11pm, police said that several people had been taken to hospital and that all of them were set to survive. The authorities said that since the shooting appeared to have been isolated, there was no further threat to the public. The shooting took place at a community block party, according to KTVU. Witnesses said it was a drive-by shooting. The ages of the victim ranged from 19 to 35 with one individual’s age being unknown. The victims, most of whom are in their 20s, have “varying degrees of injuries from non-life threatening to life-threatening,” SFPD Investigations Deputy Chief Raj Vaswani said, according to KTVU. An aide to Supervisor Hillary Ronen, Santiago Lerma, said that one victim was in surgery. Mr Lerma said that four people were receiving treatment for minor injuries. He added that he heard gunshots and spotted ambulances arrive. “I was about 10 feet away with my three-month-old son about an hour before this happened. This is an outlier. This is a very safe neighbourhood generally,” he said, according to the local TV station. He added that he often walks around the area along with his family. “So do many other people, so we’re very concerned about this incident. We want there to be a resolution.” More follows...
2023-06-10 20:59

How to Win $350 DraftKings Bonus with a $5 Bet on College Football Tonight
Give yourself $200 in instant bonus bets plus $150 in no-sweat bets with this new offer from DraftKings. Read more to learn how you can access your bonus bets in time for tonight's action.
2023-09-21 18:19

Engelbrecht's winding road from 'catch of the century' to World Cup
Sybrand Engelbrecht has taken a long, winding road to the World Cup, from a "catch of the century" contender as a junior to...
2023-10-21 23:27
You Might Like...

'The Shark Is Broken' review: 'Jaws' behind-the-scenes battles come to Broadway

Marketmind: China PMIs round off bruising month

China’s Xi Reassures Foreign Investors Amid Worries About Policy

What happened between Olivia Dunne and Markell Washington? Feud between TikTok stars explained

DK Metcalf Lost His Mind Again, Shoved Cam Taylor-Britt, Got Called for a Drive-Killing Personal Foul

Biden deal with tribes promises $200M for Columbia River salmon reintroduction

Who is Pamela? 'The Golden Bachelor' star is vying for true love after heartbreak over high school sweetheart

Senegal deploys army as Dakar braces for more unrest