Lawrence Shankland earns Scotland call ahead of June double-header
Hearts striker Lawrence Shankland and his Hibernian counterpart Kevin Nisbet have both been included in the Scotland squad for the next month’s Euro 2024 qualifiers against Norway and Georgia. The Edinburgh-based pair take the places of Stoke’s Jacob Brown, who missed the end of the Championship season with a hamstring issue, and Southampton forward Che Adams, who recently suffered a recurrence of the ankle injury he sustained in Scotland’s win over Cyprus. Shankland, who previously made four appearances in 2019 and 2020, was called back into the fold for the Spain game in March and he has kept his place at the end of a season in which he has scored 28 goals for Hearts. Nisbet, who won all of his 10 caps in 2021, is recalled for the first time since damaging his anterior cruciate ligament in February 2022. The 26-year-old has scored 12 goals for Hibs since returning to action in December. Rangers defender John Souttar is recalled after missing much of the season through injury. The 26-year-old, who has not played for the national team since last summer’s Nations League defeat in Ireland, takes the place of Norwich City centre-back Grant Hanley, who has been sidelined with an Achilles problem since early April. Blackburn centre-back Dom Hyam has retained his place after earning a late call-up for the last camp in March, while Steve Clarke has opted for consistency in the goalkeeping department with Angus Gunn, Zander Clark and Liam Kelly again called up in the absence of Craig Gordon, who remains sidelined as he tries to fight back from a double leg-break sustained on Christmas Eve. Scotland, who are top of Group A with two wins from their two games so far, face Norway in Oslo on Saturday, June 17 before welcoming Georgia to Hampden three days later. Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live
2023-05-29 19:51
Lil Baby speaks out on 'sick' viral video
Rapper Lil Baby has shut down claims that he is featured in a NSFW video circulating online. The fuzzy recording was said to feature a man resembling the 28-year-old performing a sex act. It didn't take long for him to turn to his Instagram Story to hit back at internet rumours, calling it "dumb ass click bait" (sic). "Y'all gotta stop using my name and likeness when y'all get bored, then the extremes mfs go to for clout is sick," he wrote to his 23.1 million followers. "Ain't no mystery in my history on NO LEVEL. This is my last time addressing any kind of dumb ass click bait." While the source is unknown and it is unclear whether the footage was created through AI, there has recently been a surge in deepfake porn – mostly targeting female celebrities and influencers. Cybersecurity expert and What the Hack podcast host Adam Levin previously explained to Indy100 that deepfake porn is created mainly for profit – but also a strange way for people to "show off editing skills and click trolling." "This sort of content predates the web," Levin explained, "Because it is mostly a digital activity now, it can be difficult, if not impossible, to trace back content to the person who created it." Worryingly, Levin explained that "as long as every party involved is a legal adult, there aren’t very many laws on the books to prevent or punish the distribution of illicit content." He claimed "it’s nearly impossible to remove any content published online, pornographic or otherwise," before adding: "That said, if all the parties are known, there may be legally actionable kinds of deepfake porn content." Sign up for our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-10-23 16:26
History on tap: Brussels serves beer museum to thirsty visitors
Sightseers who flocked to a grand reopening of the refurbished Brussels stock exchange building this weekend were invited to chase the visit down with a side order...
2023-09-11 18:52
Paige Spiranac's fans extend support as she claps back at wardrobe critics, says ‘my body, my choice’
In a recent segment of the 'Up & Adams' show hosted by Kay Adams, Paige Spiranac explained what she thought about people criticizing her golf outfits
2023-08-14 18:29
Man Utd expect to pay further tribute to Sir Bobby Charlton on Tuesday night
Manchester United are expected to pay further tribute to Sir Bobby Charlton ahead of Tuesday’s night’s Champions League match at Old Trafford. The United Trinity statue outside the ground was awash with tributes to Charlton on Sunday as supporters laid flowers and scarves, with many leaving deeply personal thoughts for one of the club’s most famous sons, following his death aged 86. A book of condolence was opened at the International Suite inside the stadium, while current boss Erik ten Hag and members of the United squad were adding their own messages at Carrington. United confirmed discussions were continuing to take place with Charlton’s family and UEFA for further commemorative plans ahead of Tuesday’s night’s Champions League Group A match against Copenhagen. It is expected players will wear black armbands, with wreaths to be laid on the Old Trafford pitch and a minute’s silence observed ahead of kick-off. A key member of England’s victorious 1966 World Cup team, Charlton also enjoyed great success at club level with United, who became the first English club to win the European Cup in 1968. Charlton made his debut for United in 1956 and went on to play 758 matches, scoring 249 goals. Both were long-standing club records until they were overtaken by Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney, respectively. He was knighted for services to football in 1994. Having won three league titles and one FA Cup at Old Trafford, Charlton left United in 1973 and went on to manage Preston before returning to the Red Devils 11 years later as a club director. David Moyes took over from Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United manager in the summer of 2013, but the former Everton boss left the club after just 10 months, with the team seventh in the Premier League table. Now in charge at West Ham, Moyes reflected on the support shown by Charlton during what was one of the most testing spells of his managerial career. “I’m deeply saddened and I send my condolences to all his family. The biggest thing everyone remembers, more than anything, is how great a man he was. He was such a good man,” Moyes said, quoted on West Ham’s club website. “For me, it was difficult at times at Manchester United and he was incredibly supportive and always had something to say to me. “He had a great wife in Lady Norma and even when I lost my job, she phoned my wife up, which was really important at the time. “For me, he carried off all the things that Manchester United were good for. He showed the traditions, he showed exactly how it should be, he showed great humility wherever he went, but not only that at Manchester United, he was ultimately one of the main people in English football over the years. “When you think of the greats who have come through English football, Bobby Charlton would definitely be in there.” It was announced on Saturday afternoon that Charlton had died peacefully in the early hours of the morning surrounded by his family. Born in Ashington on October 11 1937, Charlton played in the World Cup final alongside his brother Jack – who died aged 85 in 2020 – and won 106 caps for England, scoring 49 goals. European Cup success with United came 10 years after the Munich air disaster, which Charlton and manager Sir Matt Busby survived, but which claimed the lives of eight of his team-mates. Former team-mate Denis Law said on manutd.com: “Another sad day. What can I say. Sir Bobby was an unbelievable player and a gentleman. Manchester United meant everything to him. “We had many special and successful years together and he was a joy to play with. He knew where every player was on the pitch and for me that was a dream. I knew, if Bobby had the ball, it would find me and it did. “What a striker of the ball he was. He could hit the ball so hard that I knew most keepers didn’t stand a chance. On the rare occasion they did manage to deflect it, it would drop nicely to me to finish it off. “Along with George (Best), our partnership was sealed. The great part of playing with Bobby and George was that if one of us was having a bad day, the other two knew and that’s what made our relationship special. I am saddened by the news, like all football fans today.” Charlton was diagnosed with dementia and his condition was made public in November 2020, two days after his United and England team-mate Nobby Stiles died following his own battle with the illness. Tributes were left at Old Trafford this weekend, one which read: “Thank you Sir Bobby, a hero to the worldwide football family,” while a message from fan group The 1958 said: “History, dignity and integrity is what you gave to our great club. Our promise to you is to make sure it stays.” Manchester United Women manager Marc Skinner dedicated Sunday’s 5-0 win at Everton to Charlton. “He changed football in my opinion, especially at my club, so that was for him and for his family,” Skinner said. Read More Pep Guardiola admits winning treble has taken toll on Manchester City Gary O’Neil determined to repay Wolves for their faith after Bournemouth sacking Ange Postecoglou hopes Fulham clash offers ‘escape’ from troubles amid conflict Courtney Lawes to retire from England duty when Rugby World Cup ends Sjoeke Nusken bags brace as joint leaders Chelsea strike back to beat Brighton The tributes in pictures as football family remembers Sir Bobby Charlton
2023-10-23 11:47
Super Bowl Locations For 2024, 2025, & Beyond
Breaking down future Super Bowl locations.
2023-06-18 03:19
OpenAI Board Taps Former Twitch CEO Shear to Succeed Altman
OpenAI’s board hired former Twitch chief Emmett Shear as chief executive officer, defying calls from investors to reinstate
2023-11-20 14:23
Australian minister says invasive examinations were part of reason Qatar Airways was refused flights
Australian Transport Minister Catherine King says invasive gynecological examinations conducted on passengers at Doha’s international airport in 2020 were part of the reason she refused to allow Qatar Airways to double its services to Australia
2023-09-07 17:49
Mexico Economic Growth Tops Forecasts on Services and Exports
Mexico’s economy grew more than expected in the second quarter as private consumption remains robust and the country
2023-07-31 22:22
Days before apartments crumbled, repair work started on a building wall that later collapsed. Now officials ask for help with 3 missing men
The search for survivors of an Iowa apartment building continues, as crews work to stabilize the structure to make it safer for recovery efforts.
2023-06-03 01:21
Dollar edges up as US rates seen higher for longer
By Kevin Buckland TOKYO The dollar firmed against major peers in Asian trading after a robust U.S. jobs
2023-06-05 11:15
Marriott projects upbeat revenue per room growth as travel demand stays strong
Marriott International on Wednesday forecast two-year annualized global revenue per available room (RevPAR) growth of 3% to 6%
2023-09-27 19:45
You Might Like...
One dead as Japan warns of 'heaviest rain ever' in southwest
Asian Games landmark for eSports fires Olympic dreams
US fines Texas oil company Callon Permian over emissions
China's state media take a new tone toward the US ahead of meeting between their leaders
How did Crystal Villegas die? Texas mother-of-three dies after contracting meningitis during breast implant surgery in Mexico
Charlotte Dawson gives birth to second child with Matt Sarsfield after miscarriage
MATCHDAY: Arsenal hosts Fulham, PSG plays Lens
UK Homebuilder Bellway to Cut Jobs as Pricey Mortgages Weigh
