
Trump says prosecutors seeking to restrict his free speech rights
Donald Trump pushed back on Monday against a bid by government lawyers to restrict what he can share publicly about his historic prosecution for allegedly conspiring to overturn...
2023-08-08 06:58

Walmart lifts annual sales, profit view on resilient consumer spending
(Reuters) -Walmart Inc raised its annual sales and profit targets on Thursday as the retail behemoth drew from price-conscious shoppers
2023-05-18 19:18

Nebraska lawmaker sues conservative PAC for defamation, says online attacks led to threats
A Nebraska lawmaker is suing a conservative political action committee for defamation, saying the group targeted her with online attacks that led to violent threats against her and her transgender child
2023-06-30 04:26

Futures rise in run-up to key inflation data
U.S. stock index futures rose on Thursday ahead of key inflation data later in the day that could
2023-08-10 18:19

US restaurants set for second-half profit boost as costs ease, demand stays firm
By Deborah Mary Sophia Restaurant chains including McDonald's and Chipotle Mexican Grill are expected to report strong profits
2023-07-24 23:17

AFC East rivals Dolphins and Jets square off in NFL's first Black Friday game
The Miami Dolphins and New York Jets play in the first NFL game on Black Friday
2023-11-24 04:23

Elizabeth Banks to lead cast of Skincare
Elizabeth Banks is to appear alongside a "killer" cast including Lewis Pullman, Michaela Jaé Rodriguez, Luis Gerardo Méndez, and Nathan Fillion in new thriller 'Skincare'.
2023-06-27 15:26

Rudy Giuliani pleads not guilty to charges in Georgia election case
Rudy Giuliani has pleaded not guilty to Georgia charges that accuse him of trying, along with former President Donald Trump and others, to illegally overturn the results of the 2020 election in the state
2023-09-02 05:29

Erik ten Hag explains how Scott McTominay 'is Man Utd in every way'
Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag gushed over the impact of Scott McTominay after scoring twice late on in Saturday's 2-1 comeback win against Brentford.
2023-10-08 04:23

Dave Portnoy brands Larry Sinclair one of 'least trustworthy humans ever' after Tucker Carlson interview
Larry Sinclair, the convicted criminal who claimed to have had drug fuelled sex with Barack Obama in a recent interview with Tucker Carlson, has been slammed by Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy. Blogger and businessman Portnoy, whose website has become one of the best read sports news sources in the US, said he met Sinclair at Carlson’s studio when he was filming his own interview with the fired Fox News host. He said: “I would trust Anna Delvey before I trusted anything Larry Sinclair said,” referring to the famous con artist on whose life the recent TV show Inventing Anna was based. “Top to bottom maybe the least trustworthy human I've ever laid eyes on. I’d say his story has 0.0% of being true and that’s generous.” Carlson’s interview with Sinclair aired on Wednesday, in which Sinclair repeated longstanding, unfounded claims that he used cocaine and had sex with the former President twice. Sinclair’s claims refer to supposed incidents in 1999, when the politician was working in the Illinois government and already had a public profile, just before his meteoric rise in the 2000s. The claims have never been verified, despite Sinclair repeating them since 2008, when Obama was running for his first term as president. They are compounded by the fact Sinclair has a long criminal record dating back to the 1980s. Convictions include counts of forgery, fraud and larceny. He has served time in prison in Arizona, Florida and Colorado. Despite all of this, Carlson has described Sinclair’s claims as “credible information that [Obama is] smoking crack and having sex with dudes”. Even Elon Musk, the X/Twitter owner whose platform has given Carlson a new lease of life since he was fired from Fox News earlier this year, seemed thrown by the bizarre interview. He tweeted: “Of course, the probability that [Sinclair’s] claims are true would have to rest on objective evidence, rather than claims made by someone with a dubious history.” Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-09-08 16:58

Clashes break out at Trump arraignment courthouse after ‘suspicious package’ sparks police response
Miami Police blocked off a plaza in front of the Miami courthouse where former President Donald Trump was set to be arraigned. The authorities moved members of the public and the media across the street from the court as a suspicious package was investigated. The all-clear was given shortly after 11.30am on Tuesday. According to Nicole Ninsalata of WSVN, a bomb squad responded to a sidewalk outside the courthouse, where a flatscreen TV with yellow wires coming out of the back was spotted. Protesters and supporters of Mr Trump began clashing ahead of the arraignment with video emerging of arguments where police stepped in. As Mr Trump arrived in Florida on Monday night, footage shared on Twitter appeared to show Trump supporters confronting a man holding anti-Trump signs. Police separated a man wearing a prison costume and holding a sign saying “Lock him up” from the crowd following a confrontation with supporters of the former president. Former Trump White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon appeared worried about anti-Trump protesters during his programme on Real America’s Voice, a rightwing broadcaster. “If you’re asking for trouble, you let these two groups get together because the Never Trump, the anti-Trump and Antifa, BLM, are violent people,” he claimed. “And they’re always there to get in people’s faces. They’re always there to try to pick fights. And I’m just an observer here anchoring in Washington DC, but I gotta tell you, I’m not enthusiastic about what I’m seeing down there on the crowd control. I think that we’re just asking for problems and what we don’t want today are problems.” “This thing we want to get in and out of, and I hope the Miami authorities and others do the job that the NYPD does,” he added in reference to Mr Trump’s arraignment earlier this year in a separate case. On Monday, supporters of Mr Trump and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis were seen outside the courthouse in a shouting match over Covid-19 vaccines and Mr Trump’s response to the pandemic. This comes after Miami officials claimed that they will have everything under control as Mr Trump appears in court. Speaking at a press conference at Miami police headquarter, Mayor Francis Suarez said the city is enacting plans to “make sure that everyone has a right to peacefully express themselves and exercise their constitutional rights” in “an obviously peaceful manner”. “In our city, we obviously believe in the Constitution and believe that people should have the right to express themselves. But we also believe in law and order. And we know that and we hope that tomorrow will be peaceful. “We encourage people to be peaceful in demonstrating how they feel. And we’re going to have the adequate forces necessary to ensure that,” he said. Mr Suarez, who is rumoured to be planning to enter the 2024 Republican presidential primary himself, declined to criticise the ex-president’s rhetoric and said he has not spoken to Mr Trump to ask him to retract his calls for protest, despite the former president’s history of inciting violence. “I have not spoken to him. I don’t have his phone number,” he said. Mr Suarez appeared to compare the events of January 6 and the potential violence that could ensue on Tuesday to the protests that followed the murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer in the summer of 2020. He said city and state law enforcement officials handled those protests without incident and called the response to those events “a model for how to deal with those protests in the country”. “We did things not to create unnecessary confrontations. We gave people a space to express themselves without unnecessarily creating confrontations. In that moment, in that particular case, we had a curfew that we implemented. We had a variety of different resources that we used, that I thought were different than other cities in America, and they allowed us to deescalate without creating incidents,” he said. “I have full faith and confidence that our department … will have the right action plan and will have the right resources in place. In the right place to make sure that there are no incidents,” he said. But Mr Suarez repeatedly declined to address concerns about the possibility that the same violent extremist groups that responded to Mr Trump’s call for protests in 2021 would again come to support him on Tuesday. He also told reporters there would be no effort to separate protesters and counterprotesters and said law enforcement would not be erecting any hardened barrier around the courthouse because “that’s what freedom of speech is”. Because the courthouse is a federal facility, Department of Homeland Security personnel there began to take some precautions for potential protests on Monday. Outside the building where Mr Trump will be arraigned, marked police vehicles belonging to the Federal Protective could be seen parked strategically in areas not already rendered inaccessible to cars with concrete bollards and other preexisting vehicle barriers, blocking a path from the street onto courthouse property. Groups of FPS officers, some leading explosive detection dogs, could be seen congregating in areas where shade from trees could shield them from the hot Florida sun. Around 10.30am, other officers began positioning moveable barriers and stretching police tape to cordon off a wide swath of the courthouse lawn from public access in preparation for possible demonstrations by Mr Trump’s supporters, should any heed the twice-impeached, twice-indicted ex-president’s call for protests on the day of his arraignment. One FPS officer who asked not to be identified told The Independent that he and his colleagues were hopeful that the crowd would remain peaceful, but said they were aware that things could go south quickly.“We’re prepared for anything but we’re hoping there won’t be any trouble,” he said. Read More Police monitoring online far-right threats and pro-Trump protests with federal indictment: ‘This is war’ Trump arraignment – live: Miami courthouse hit by security scare as Trump tries out wild new defence With Trump on trial, an outrageous president sets another unwelcome precedent
2023-06-14 00:55

US FAA cuts minimum flight requirements at New York airports through late 2024
By David Shepardson WASHINGTON Citing air traffic controller staffing issues, U.S. regulators announced on Friday they will again
2023-09-16 06:59
You Might Like...

Descendants of enslaved Africans on Georgia island fear losing their culture and some property after a change in zoning laws

Philippines Eyes Use of Digital Currency in Sovereign Bond Sales

Ireland ready for Springboks after taking apart Tonga at Rugby World Cup

In his own words: Christian Horner on world champion Max Verstappen

SoftBank forms JV with Symbotic to build AI-powered warehouses, up its stake

Canada's O'Regan considers binding agreement to end dock workers strike

Gold is losing its dazzle

3 Packers to blame for unacceptable loss to Raiders on Monday Night Football