
Canada beat Czechs to set up Italy BJK Cup final clash
Canada reached the Billie Jean King Cup final for the first time in their history with a thrilling 2-1 win over the Czech Republic on Saturday, setting...
2023-11-12 06:15

Putin presides over rehearsals of ‘massive’ Russian nuclear strike
Vladimir Putin has presided over a rehearsal to deliver what the Kremlin described as a “massive” nuclear strike, including the test launch of multiple ballistic missiles. While Russia holds similar rehearsals every autumn, Wednesday’s show of force came just hours after Moscow’s withdrawal from a significant nuclear test ban treaty and as its invasion of Ukraine approaches its second winter. Footage broadcast on state television showed the Russian president overseeing the annual exercises, dubbed “Grom”, via video call. The purpose of the drill was to “deliver a massive nuclear strike... in response to an enemy nuclear strike”, said defence minister Sergei Shoigu. The Kremlin said a Yars intercontinental ballistic missile was launched from a test site to a target in Russia’s far east, a nuclear-powered submarine launched a ballistic missile from the Barents Sea and Tu-95MS long-range bombers test fired air-launched cruise missiles. Russia, which has the world’s largest nuclear arsenal, has passed a bill in parliament that would revoke its ratification of a key nuclear test ban treaty, the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT). Though it has never formally come into force, the CTBT has helped deter nuclear weapons testing around the world, with only North Korea conducting an explosive nuclear bomb test this century. Ukraine has said Russia’s withdrawal of its CTBT ratification was an attempt at “nuclear blackmail”. Mr Putin, who will be sent the bill for final approval, has said revoking Russia’s ratification would “mirror” the stance of the US, which has signed but did not ratify the nuclear test ban. Video footage of Wednesday’s military exercise released by the Russian defence ministry showed the land- and submarine-launched missiles piercing the night sky with loud roars, while nuclear-capable bomber aircraft departed from an airfield under the cover of darkness. “Under the leadership of the supreme commander-in-chief of the armed forces of the Russian Federation, Vladimir Putin, training was conducted with the forces and means of the ground, sea and air components of the nuclear deterrent forces,” the Kremlin said in a statement. “During the training, practical launches of ballistic and cruise missiles took place. The tasks planned in the course of the training exercise were fully accomplished,” it said. The latest developments have raised widespread concerns that Moscow could resume nuclear testing in attempts to discourage the West from continuing to offer military support to Ukraine. Russia’s deputy foreign minister Sergei Ryabkov said earlier this month that Moscow will continue to respect the ban and will only resume nuclear tests if Washington does it first. On Wednesday, Mr Ryabkov said the Russian foreign ministry had received proposals from the US to restart discussions regarding strategic stability and arms control matters. However, he pointed out that, given the current political climate, Moscow does not view it as feasible. “We aren’t ready for it because the return to a dialogue on strategic stability... as it was conducted in the past is impossible until the US revises its deeply hostile policy course in relation to Russia,” Mr Ryabkov told reporters in comments carried by Russian news agencies.
2023-10-26 14:58

UBS rejigs investment bank in bid to better compete with Wall Street
LONDON UBS announced an overhaul of its investment banking division on Monday, including naming the unit's M&A chiefs,
2023-08-07 22:45

5 players Blazers could acquire in Lillard deal to stay competitive
The Portland Trail Blazers are expected to pursue a star-level return for Damain Lillard -- perhaps with the goal of staying in contention. Who can they realistically acquire?Damian Lillard's trade request was awkwardly timed, if not particularly surprising. The Blazers have plenty of young...
2023-07-02 23:20

NFL Rumors: Kirk Cousins trade unlikely with 1 major caveat
The Minnesota Vikings have been one of the worst teams in the NFL so far in 2023, but Kirk Cousins doesn't seem to be ready to leave, with one possible exception.
2023-10-15 07:46

GM postpones expanding production of electric trucks
General Motors is putting off adding a second factory for production of its electric pickups until late 2025, the automaker announced Tuesday.
2023-10-18 05:59

Tax prep companies shared private taxpayer data with Google and Meta for years, congressional probe finds
Some of the nation's largest tax-prep companies have spent years sharing Americans' sensitive financial data with tech titans including Meta and Google in a potential violation of federal law — data that in some cases was misused for targeted advertising, according to a seven-month congressional investigation.
2023-07-12 17:15

Dillon Danis drops another NSFW video of Logan Paul’s fiancee Nina Agdal, trolls says ‘she is just getting more attention’
Dillon Danis has been trolling the couple through tweets on X since the fight with Logan Paul was announced
2023-09-24 16:51

Bayern Munich 4-3 Man Utd: Player ratings as Champions League clash produces seven-goal thriller
Player ratings from the Champions League clash between Bayern Munich and Man Utd at the Allianz Arena - 20 September 2023.
2023-09-21 05:24

NFL Rumors: Nick Chubb injury may be way less severe than expected
Browns running back Nick Chubb looked like he suffered a catastrophic knee injury, but it turns out his knee is in better shape than expected.
2023-09-24 05:52

Raheem Sterling misses out as Eddie Nketiah handed debut England squad call-up
Raheem Sterling has been omitted from the England squad while Eddie Nketiah was handed a first senior call-up by Gareth Southgate for the games against Ukraine and Scotland. Sterling, who missed the summer internationals when he said he did not feel in the right condition to play, was a candidate for a recall after starting the season in fine form for Chelsea but Southgate preferred Eberechi Eze of Crystal Palace. Southgate said it was a tough phone call and Sterling was left annoyed to be omitted, revealing: “It was a difficult call and Raheem is not particularly happy about it.” The England manager, who also chose Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka and James Maddison ahead of Sterling, explained that he wanted to stick with the players he used for the June wins over Malta and North Macedonia. “To bring Raheem back in we have to leave someone else out and on the basis of three games [of the league season] I don’t think anyone deserves to be left out,” he added. “It is really good to see Raheem start the season so well and he looks fit and hungry but in those attacking positions behind the No 9 we have a lot of competition.” Arsenal striker Nketiah, who has scored 16 goals for England’s Under-21 team, was selected ahead of Aston Villa’s Ollie Watkins as the third specialist striker behind Harry Kane and Callum Wilson. “We want to have a look at him,” Southgate said. “He is a young player with a lot of pedigree, a really good finisher and the record goalscorer in the Under-21s.” The manager also kept faith with Harry Maguire and Kalvin Phillips, who have played no first-team football for Manchester United and Manchester City respectively, with defensive injuries a reason why he picked the former. Southgate said: “With Harry Maguire we have lost a lot of experience in terms of caps at centre halves, we are giving some less experienced players a chance to come into the squad but Tyrone [Mings] is out for most of the season, John Stones is out of this camp, Eric Dier is not in Tottenham’s squad, Conor Coady is in the Championship now so there is a space there. With Harry and Kalvin Phillips, it is not ideal they are not playing football. Declan Rice is the only English player to start this weekend as a single pivot and Kalvin is the next best option.” Jordan Henderson, who has moved to Al-Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia, retained his place in the squad with Southgate saying his international future could depend on the standard of the Pro-League. “The key as we move forward is the physical intensity of the league,” said Southgate. “Because of the heat as well, whether that will allow him to perform at the level we need; that is a huge consideration.” In a defence without the injured Stones, Mings and Luke Shaw, there were call-ups for Fikayo Tomori, Marc Guehi, Lewis Dunk and the uncapped Levi Colwill. “He is doing really well,” Southgate said of Colwill. “He is progressing. We really liked him at the end of last season with Brighton. He had a really good tournament with the Under-21s so he showed under pressure he could cope. He has started well with Chelsea in a slightly different position.” Full squad Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal) Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Levi Colwill (Chelsea), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Fikayo Tomori (AC Milan), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United), Kyle Walker (Manchester City) Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Al-Ettifaq), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace) Forwards: Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham Hotspur), Eddie Nketiah (Arsenal), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Callum Wilson (Newcastle United) Read More Manchester United left with Luke Shaw injury dilemma Why are England wearing their blue kit against Spain? What time is the Champions League group stage draw today? What time is the Champions League group stage draw today? Champions League group stage draw LIVE: Man City, Man Utd and more discover fate Is the Champions League draw on TV? Channel, start time and how to watch
2023-08-31 23:50

Harry Kane lost his first game at Bayern Munich and the jokes wrote themselves
Harry Kane's wait for a trophy continues after he lost his first game for Bayern Munich in the DFL Supercup against RB Leipzig. The England captain completed his €100m transfer to the German giants on Saturday after his summer-long transfer saga came to a conclusion seeing the striker bid an emotional farewell to the club he has been at since he was a boy, Tottenham Hotspur. Kane's move to Bayern means that he has a very strong chance to finally win the one thing that has eluded him in the English game; a trophy. The 30-year-old even had the chance to claim a trophy in his first game for his new club as they faced Leipzig in the German equivalent of the Community Shield; the DFL Supercup. Kane didn't start the match and Bayern didn't start the match very well either as they found themselves 2-0 down at half-time thanks to two goals from Spanish winger Dani Olmo. Kane was subbed on at 64 minutes but four minutes later Leipzig were 3-0 up as Olmo completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot. Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter This was hardly the start that Kane would have envisioned for himself at Bayern and the fact that he is still waiting to lift a trophy has led to the inevitable jokes on Twitter. Amongst the schadenfreude, there was one legitimately funny moment where Kane realised he's yet to learn any German when attempting to complain to the referee. Kane can at least hope to get his Bayern career off to a proper start on Friday, when the team kick off their Bundesliga campaign agaisnt Werder Bremen. Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-08-13 05:19
You Might Like...

Republicans warn many Gaza refugees could be headed for the U.S. Here's why that's unlikely

Here's when 'Welcome To Plathville' Season 5 Episode 3 drops: Ethan Plath feels stuck amid family's rift with wife Olivia Plath

Police search for driver who hit 6 migrant workers in North Carolina Walmart parking lot

US Treasury says state, local gov'ts budgeted over $173 billion in COVID aid

Hong Kong journalist wins appeal at top court over Yuen Long documentary

Tristan Tate slams ex-War Room member from BBC documentary for 'poor reaction' as he denies interaction with him, fans call him 'savage'

USC's Bronny James cleared by doctors for return to basketball 4 months after cardiac arrest

Darwin Nunez comes off the bench to fire Liverpool into Carabao Cup quarter-finals