Hyrra Features the Latest and Most Talked-About Topstories News and Headlines from Around the World.
⎯ 《 Hyrra • Com 》
Israel considers recognition of Morocco's rule over Western Sahara
Israel considers recognition of Morocco's rule over Western Sahara
By Dan Williams and Ahmed Eljechtimi JERUSALEM/RABAT Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's national security adviser visited Rabat on
2023-06-07 22:47
Prehistoric footwear dating back 6,200 years discovered in a Spanish cave
Prehistoric footwear dating back 6,200 years discovered in a Spanish cave
A pair of shoes thought to be the oldest ever found in Europe are now estimated to be even older than scientists had previously thought. About 20 pairs of sandals found in southern Spain are at least 6,200 years old, while other woven objects found in the cave date back 9,500 years, according to a new study. The scientists used carbon-dating on 76 objects found in the Cueva de los Murciélagos, Albuñol, near Granada, which were originally discovered by miners in the 19th century. The objects are particularly valuable to science because they represent the first direct evidence of certain hunter-gatherer skills, such as weaving, in southern Europe. They are made of wood, reed and esparto grass. The shoes measured about eight inches in length. The study was published in the journal Science Advances by a team from the Universidad de Alcalá (UAH) and the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB). Francisco Martínez Sevilla, a researcher at the Prehistory Department of UAH, said: “These are the earliest and widest-ranging assemblage of prehistoric footwear, both in the Iberian Peninsula and in Europe, unparalleled at other latitudes. “The new dating of the esparto baskets from the Cueva de los Murciélagos of Albuñol opens a window of opportunity to understanding the last hunter-gatherer societies of the early Holocene. “The quality and technological complexity of the basketry makes us question the simplistic assumptions we have about human communities prior to the arrival of agriculture in Southern Europe.” He said the project placed the cave as “a unique site in Europe to study the organic materials of prehistoric populations”. Cueva de los Murciélagos, or “Cave of the Bats,” is located on the coast of Granada, to the south of the Sierra Nevada. The finds are thought to have been so well-preserved because of low humidity levels in the area. Study co-author María Herrero Otal added: “The esparto grass objects from Cueva de los Murciélagos are the oldest and best-preserved set of plant fibre materials in Southern Europe so far known. “The technological diversity and the treatment of the raw material documented demonstrates the ability of prehistoric communities to master this type of craftsmanship, at least since 9,500 years ago, in the Mesolithic period. “Only one type of technique related to hunter-gatherers has been identified, while the typological, technological and treatment range of esparto grass was extended during the Neolithic from 7,200 to 6,200 years before the present.” Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-10-09 17:57
Ozzy Osbourne 'unlikely to tour again', says son Jack Osbourne
Ozzy Osbourne 'unlikely to tour again', says son Jack Osbourne
Ozzy Osbourne's son Jack Osbourne "doesn't think" his father will tour again, despite the 74-year-old rocker recently admitting he wants to go "back on the road".
2023-11-17 16:24
Mouser Electronics and Analog Devices Support Initiative to Plant Thousands of Trees Across the United States
Mouser Electronics and Analog Devices Support Initiative to Plant Thousands of Trees Across the United States
DALLAS & FORT WORTH, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jul 24, 2023--
2023-07-24 22:27
Sandro Tonali cements himself as Newcastle legend after reserving table in local Wetherspoons
Sandro Tonali cements himself as Newcastle legend after reserving table in local Wetherspoons
Sandro Tonali arrived as one of Newcastle’s major signings this summer, and it looks like he’s adapting to the British way of doing things pretty quickly. In fact, the midfielder looks to have cemented his status as a bit of a fan favourite already after putting in a fantastic debut performance and then reserving a table in a local Wetherspoons. The 23-year-old was spotted down the pub with a reservation, and it looks like he was celebrating his first Newcastle game in Saturday's 5-1 hammering of Aston Villa at the boozer. An image, shared by fan page NUFC Gallowgate on Twitter, shows a table booked at a ‘Spoons under the name “Tonali”. Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter A second picture shows the midfielder posing for a picture with a fan in a Newcastle shirt. It’s not taken long, but he’s clearly already established himself as a cult hero. Tonali impressed during his first game in black and white, scoring inside the first six minutes and putting in a strong performance throughout. The Italian international arrived for a fee believed to be in the region of £60 million from AC Milan in the summer, becoming the most expensive Italian player of all time. Alexander Isak also scored two goals in the game on Saturday (August 12) with Callum Wilson and debutant Harvey Barnes also adding their names to the scoresheet. Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-08-15 14:55
13 injured in South Korea when a man rams a car onto a sidewalk, stabs pedestrians
13 injured in South Korea when a man rams a car onto a sidewalk, stabs pedestrians
At least 13 people have been injured in South Korea when a man rammed a car onto a sidewalk and then stepped out of the vehicle and began stabbing people near a subway station in the city of Seongnam
2023-08-03 19:51
A changing of the guard in women's soccer but the US' future can still be bright
A changing of the guard in women's soccer but the US' future can still be bright
US goalkeeper Alyssa Naeher stood alone holding the ball and inhaled deeply, her eyes wide in disbelief, as Sweden's players raced pitchside to form a joyous heap of yellow on the grass. Some of her teammates were in tears. "Feels like a bad dream," Alex Morgan would later tell Fox Sports.
2023-08-07 07:18
How Madeleine McCann search at reservoir unfolded – and what police found
How Madeleine McCann search at reservoir unfolded – and what police found
The long-running hunt for missing Madeleine McCann returned to the headlines last week, during a three-day search of a Portuguese reservoir. Acting on tip-offs, police searched the remote Barragem do Arade reservoir in Portugal, an area that the prime suspect in the case, Christian Brueckner, frequented between 2000 and 2017. Although police are remaining tight-lipped about the details they did confirm “materials collected” had been sent to Germany for analysis in the hope of shedding light on the ongoing mystery surrounding Madeleine’s disappearance from an Algarve holiday resort on 3 May 2007. A “relevant clue” was also found during the search, according to Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha. Separately, investigators are set to widen the search again after photographs belonging to 43-year-old Brueckner were said to have yielded further clues. With help from Portuguese police, and with detectives from Scotland Yard watching on, German investigators scoured the beauty spot 16 miles from Silves, near the southern coast of the country. Starting on Monday last week, investigators sealed off a mile-long peninsula jutting into the reservoir and set up tents as an operations base. They then spent three days digging with shovels, cutting back swaths of undergrowth and using rakes and pickaxes to sweep the banks of the reservoir, leaving behind piles of rubble. At the main 160 square foot excavation area, they flattened a concentrated area of woodland with heavy machinery and dug holes 2 feet deep. Using sniffer dogs to hunt the surrounding grassland for clues, detectives in a rigid-hull inflatable boat also examined the water. A no-fly zone in place in the skies overhead allowed police drones to survey the region undisturbed. A track leading to the search area was cordoned off with police tape and marked vehicles from Portugal’s National Republican Guard. What appeared to be evidence bags were removed from the scene. The dam, which lies 31 miles northeast of the Praia da Luz coastal resort from which Madeleine disappeared, was built in 1955 and is fed by the Arade river. Specialist divers had previously searched the reservoir in 2008, paid for by Portuguese lawyer Marcos Aragao Correia, who claimed to have been tipped off by criminal contacts that Madeleine’s body was there. Two other areas near Praia da Luz could also be searched by police, The Sun reported. Investigators combing through more than 8,000 photographs belonging to Brueckner said they had provided further potentially fruitful lines of inquiry. Brueckner, who denies any connection to Madeleine, is in jail in Germany for the rape of a 72-year-old American woman two years before the three-year-old vanished. German prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters said the investigators were looking for a body, as well as anything that could help the investigation, such as clothing. The probe will be continuing out of the public eye, he added. As such, Madeleine’s parents will have to wait several weeks to find out the results of the analysis of the materials found, as their 16-year ordeal continues. Read More Madeleine McCann news – latest: Police give major update after items found in reservoir search Sixteen years and countless heartbreaks: Where are Madeleine McCann’s family now? Madeleine McCann case: Timeline of the missing child’s disappearance How Madeleine McCann search at reservoir unfolded and what police found What happened to Madeleine McCann? Sixteen years and countless heartbreaks as Madeleine McCann’s family wait for answers
2023-06-01 22:28
The end of King Dollar? The forces at play in de-dollarisation
The end of King Dollar? The forces at play in de-dollarisation
By Naomi Rovnick and Libby George LONDON Rivalry with China, fallout from Russia's war in Ukraine and wrangling
2023-05-25 13:25
Will Donald Trump show up at next week's presidential debate? GOP rivals are preparing for it
Will Donald Trump show up at next week's presidential debate? GOP rivals are preparing for it
Donald Trump says he won’t sign the pledge required to participate
2023-08-15 22:17
When is the Next Fortnite World Cup?
When is the Next Fortnite World Cup?
The next Fortnite World Cup, known as the FNCS Global Championship 2023, begins on Oct. 13 in front of a live audience in Copenhagen, Denmark.
2023-09-25 23:53
Eyeing EU election, Orban calls Brussels a 'bad contemporary parody'
Eyeing EU election, Orban calls Brussels a 'bad contemporary parody'
BUDAPEST Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban kicked off his campaign for next year's European Parliamentary elections with harsh
2023-10-23 22:47