
NBA top pick Wembanyama has 27 points, 12 rebounds in loss
Victor Wembanyama, the NBA's top draft pick, showed improvement Sunday in his second game with San Antonio, scoring 27 points in an 85-80 NBA...
2023-07-10 10:24

Football rumours: Nottingham Forest vying for Manchester United’s Dean Henderson
What the papers say Nottingham Forest are reportedly looking to capitalise on Manchester United’s pursuit of Andre Onana by going after England international goalkeeper Dean Henderson who was on loan at the club last year, the Telegraph reports. The Telegraph say promoted Burnley have set their sights on Coventry midfielder Gustavo Hamer. Coventry, who lost to Luton in the Championship play-off final, are set to lose their striker Viktor Gyokeres to Sporting Lisbon for a deal worth around £20million, according to the Daily Mail. Manchester Evening News says Manchester City are close to signing 16-year-old young gun Harrison Parker from Manchester United as “revenge” after United attempted to sign City’s 16-year-old twins Jack and Tyler Fletcher. Social media round-up Players to watch Gabri Veiga: The 21-year-old Celta Vigo midfielder is has attracted interest from Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham, French media outlet Le10Sport said. Alex Scott: Bournemouth are looking most likely to sign the 21-year-old, but Tottenham, West Ham and Wolverhampton are all interested in the Bristol City midfielder.
2023-07-12 13:55

GM earnings rise despite strike
General Motors' earnings grew last quarter, even as the company took a $200 million hit from the first two weeks of a strike by the United Auto Workers union.
2023-10-24 18:55

A star blew up, and scientists snapped a photo of the violent explosion
Boom. Last month astronomers spotted a star that exploded in the colossal Pinwheel galaxy some
2023-06-10 19:17

France attack: Kalashnikov assault on car kills three in Marseille
The killings near a nightclub come amid a spike in drug violence in France's second-largest city.
2023-05-21 20:50

With the expulsion of Santos and ouster of McCarthy, the House is making unexpected history
The House is making history this year — it's just coming in ways that Republicans could hardly have envisioned when the party took control
2023-12-02 13:17

'He's an old soul': Tina Turner was unfazed by 16-year age gap with husband Erwin Bach
'At 46, I didn’t look older than Erwin, who was 30. I never think about the age difference,' Tina Turner wrote in her memoir
2023-06-07 17:20

The Manson Family: Who were the key players and victims in cult leader Charles Manson’s serial killings?
In 1969, Charles Manson dispatched a group of disaffected young followers on a two-night killing rampage that terrorized Los Angeles. The killings remain etched in the American consciousness. On Tuesday, Leslie Van Houten was released after spending more than 50 years in prison for two of those murders. She's the only one of Manson's followers who participated in the infamous Tate-LaBianca murders to go free. Members of the Manson “family” arrived at the Hollywood Hills home of Sharon Tate on 8 August 1969, where they stabbed, beat and shot to death the young actress and her friends – celebrity hairstylist Jay Sebring, coffee heiress Abigail Folger, and aspiring screenwriter Wojciech Frykowski. As they made their way to the house, they encountered a teenager, Steven Parent, who had been visiting an acquaintance at the estate’s guesthouse, and shot him to death. The next night, Manson led a handful of followers, including Van Houten, to the home of wealthy grocer Leno LaBianca and his wife, Rosemary. Manson tied up the couple and left the others to kill them. Manson and his followers also killed two others – musician Gary Hinman and Hollywood stuntman Donald “Shorty” Shea – in separate, unrelated attacks. In the decades since, some of Manson's followers have died while others remain behind bars. The killers: Charles Manson Charles Manson was a petty criminal who had been in and out of jail since childhood when he reinvented himself in the late 1960s as a guru-philosopher. He targeted teenage runaways and other lost souls, particularly attractive young women he used and bartered to others for sex. He sent them out to butcher LA's rich and famous in what prosecutors said was a bid to trigger a race war – an idea they say he got from a twisted reading of the Beatles’ song “Helter Skelter”. Decades after his conviction, Manson would continue to taunt prosecutors, parole agents and others, sometimes denying any role in the killings and other times boasting of them. He told a 2012 parole hearing: “I have put five people in the grave. I am a very dangerous man.” He died in 2017 after spending nearly 50 years in prison. He was 83. Susan Atkins Susan Atkins, convicted of the Tate, LaBianca and Hinman murders, was a teenage runaway working as a topless dancer in a San Francisco bar when she met Manson in 1967. The Tate-LaBianca murders went unsolved for months until Atkins, who was in jail on unrelated charges, boasted to a cellmate about her involvement. At trial, she testified she was “stoned on acid” and didn’t know how many times she stabbed Tate as the actress begged for her life. Atkins, who became a born-again Christian in prison and denounced Manson, tearfully recounted that confrontation during a parole hearing years later. She died in prison of cancer in 2009. She was 61. Leslie Van Houten Leslie Van Houten, a former high school cheerleader and homecoming princess, saw her life spiral out of control at 14 following her parents’ divorce. She turned to drugs and became pregnant but said her mother forced her to abort the fetus and bury it in the family’s backyard. Van Houten met Manson at an old movie ranch on the outskirts of Los Angeles where he had established his so-called “family” of followers. She didn’t take part in the Tate killings but accompanied Manson and others to the LaBianca home the next night. She has described holding down Rosemary LaBianca with a pillowcase over her head as others stabbed LaBianca dozens of times. Then, ordered by Manson follower Charles “Tex” Watson to “do something” she said she picked up a knife and stabbed the woman more than a dozen times. Van Houten, 71, earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees in counseling while in prison and led several prison programmes to help rehabilitate fellow inmates. She was repeatedly recommended for parole, but two governors – first Jerry Brown and then Gavin Newsom – blocked her release. However, she was finally freed after Newsom announced last week that he wouldn't pursue efforts to keep her behind bars. Patricia Krenwinkel Patricia Krenwinkel was a 19-year-old secretary when she met Manson at a party. She left everything behind three days later to follow him, believing they had a budding romantic relationship. After he became abusive and bartered her for sex, she said she twice tried to leave him but followers brought her back, kept a close watch on her and kept her high on drugs. She testified at a 2016 parole hearing that she repeatedly stabbed Folger, then stabbed Leno LaBianca in the abdomen the following night and wrote “Helter Skelter,” ’’Rise” and “Death to Pigs” on the walls with his blood. Krenwinkel, 75, remains in prison. Krenwinkel contends she is a changed person but was denied parole more than a dozen times. She was finally recommended for parole last year but Newsom reversed the decision. Charles ‘Tex’ Watson Charles “Tex” Watson was a college dropout from Texas when he arrived in California in 1967 seeking “satisfaction through drugs, sex and rock ‘n’ roll,” as he explains on his website. He recalled meeting Manson at the house of Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson after seeing Wilson hitchhiking and giving him a ride home. Watson, 77, led the killers to the Tate estate, shot to death Parent as he was attempting to leave and took part in the killings that night and the next at the LaBianca home. He became a born-again Christian in prison and formed a prison ministry in 1980 that he continues to lead. Watson, who has authored or co-authored several books while in prison, maintains he has changed and is no longer a danger to anyone. He has repeatedly been denied parole. The victims: Sharon Tate Sharon Tate, 26, was a model and rising film star after her breakout role in the 1966 film “Valley of the Dolls”. She was eight-and-a-half months pregnant when she was attacked, and she pleaded with her killers to spare her unborn son. Tate’s mother, Doris, became an advocate for victims’ rights in California and was instrumental in a 1982 law that allows family members to testify about their losses at trials and parole hearings. Her younger sister, Debra, also dedicated her life to victims’ rights and testified at countless parole hearings for the killers, demanding they never be released. Tate’s husband, director Roman Polanski, was out of the country the night of the killings and has said it took him years to recover from the grief of losing his wife and baby. Jay Sebring Jay Sebring, a hairdresser to Hollywood’s stars, was Tate’s former boyfriend and also begged the killers to spare her unborn child. He was shot, kicked in the face and stabbed multiple times. Sebring had transformed the male haircare industry after graduating from beauty school in Los Angeles, and his clients included Warren Beatty, Steve McQueen, Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. He founded Sebring International in 1967 to market hair products and to franchise his salons internationally. Wojciech Frykowski and Abigail Folger Wojciech Frykowski and Abigail Folger had dined with Tate and Sebring earlier that night. The 32-year-old Frykowski was a friend of Polanski’s from Poland and an aspiring screenwriter. An autopsy found he was stabbed more than 50 times and shot twice. His 25-year-old girlfriend was the heir to the Folger coffee fortune. She managed to escape the house but was tackled on the front lawn and stabbed 28 times. Steven Parent Steven Parent, a recent high school graduate planning to attend college in the fall, had dropped by a guest house on the property to visit the estate’s 19-year-old caretaker, a casual acquaintance named William Garretson. He was leaving the property when Watson confronted him at the front gate and shot him to death. Garretson, who was briefly taken into custody, returned to his native Ohio soon after the killings. Except for his testimony during the murder trial, he rarely spoke publicly about that night. He died of cancer in 2016. Leno and Rosemary LaBianca Leno and Rosemary LaBianca, who owned a chain of Los Angeles grocery stores, had no connection to Sharon Tate or her glamorous friends. Their home was chosen at random by Manson, who tied them up and then, before leaving, ordered his followers to kill them. Among the weapons used was a chrome-plated bayonet. Other prominent players: Lynette ‘Squeaky’ Fromme Lynette “Squeaky” Fromme, 74, a Manson “family” member who was not implicated in the Tate-LaBianca murders, was sentenced to prison for pointing a handgun at president Gerald Ford in 1975. Since her release in 2009, she has lived quietly in upstate New York. Linda Kasabian Linda Kasabian, the trial’s key witness, was granted immunity from prosecution. She had accompanied the killers to the Tate house but was posted outside as a lookout. In that position she said she saw some of the killings. The next night she remained in a car outside the LaBianca house as Manson tied up the victims, then left with him as the others stayed to kill them. The 20-year-old moved in with the “family” a few weeks before the killings and fled immediately after. She turned herself in to authorities after the others were arrested. Kasabian later changed her name and lived out of sight for decades. She died in Tacoma, Washington. She was 73. Bruce Davis Bruce Davis, 80, was convicted of taking part in the Hinman and Shea murders but was not involved in the Tate-LaBianca killings. He testified at his 2014 parole hearing that he attacked Shea with a knife and held a gun on Hinman while Manson cut Hinman’s face with a sword. “I wanted to be Charlie’s favorite guy,” he said. Parole panels have repeatedly recommended his release, but governors have blocked it. Steve ’Clem’ Grogan Steve “Clem” Grogan, 71, once a ranch hand at the old movie ranch where Manson had located his followers, was sentenced to life in prison for taking part in Shea’s murder. In 1977 he told authorities where Shea’s body was buried. Grogan was paroled in 1985 and moved to northern California. (John Rogers retired from The Associated Press in 2021) Read More Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten released on parole AP Was There: Cult leader Charles Manson and followers convicted for brutal California killings The creepy ‘million-dollar’ court battle deciding the fate of Charles Manson’s last possessions Linda Kasabian: Manson family member dies at 73
2023-07-12 15:46

'Barbenheimer' arrives as moviegoers flock to a Mattel-mushroom cloud double feature
Waves of pink-clad moviegoers passed under carboard palm trees on the frenzied first day of “Barbenheimer.”
2023-07-22 01:22

Dollar’s Epic Drop Sends Franc and Yen Surging as Traders Weigh Fed Path
A 14-month low in the US dollar is rippling through global currency markets as traders consider the impact
2023-07-13 00:50

‘Tis the Season for NEW Holiday Cocktails at Applebee’s
PASADENA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov 13, 2023--
2023-11-13 21:24

Jury finds teenager responsible for computer hacking spree - old
A teenager has been found responsible for a hacking spree in which victims’ savings were stolen and major companies, including the maker of the best-selling Grand Theft Auto video games, were blackmailed. Arion Kurtaj, 18, and a 17-year-old who cannot be named for legal reasons, were described by the prosecution as the “key players” in the LapsusS hacking group. Psychiatrists had assessed Kurtaj as unfit to stand trial so the role of the jury in his case was to decide whether he had committed the acts alleged against him. On Wednesday, following a two-month trial at London’s Southwark Crown Court plus nine hours and 19 minutes of deliberations, a jury unanimously found Kurtaj had carried out 12 offences in his spree of innovative hacks. These offences included six counts of carrying out an unauthorised act to impair the operation of a computer, three counts of blackmail, two fraud offences, and of failing to comply with a section 49 notice to disclose a key when he did not give up the password to his mobile phone when asked to by police. He tried to blackmail Rockstar Games by threatening to “leak the stolen source code for the Grand Theft Auto sequel onto internet forums”, the indictment stated. Kurtaj and the youth were also accused of hacking software company Nvidia in February 2022 before threatening to “release Nvidia Corporation’s intellectual property on to the web” if it did not pay them. The 17 year-old showed no emotion as he was found guilty of one count of fraud, a charge of blackmail and also of having carried out an unauthorised act to impair the operation of a computer. His mother wept uncontrollably after the verdicts were read out. Keep in mind Arion Kurtaj's psychological make-up, and in particular his psychological condition, his education or lack thereof - could he be the highly intelligent, competent genius that the prosecution set out at the beginning? Arion Kurtaj's defence counsel David Miller Prosecutors alleged Kurtaj and the 17-year-old, aided by unknown associates, hacked the servers and data files of broadband provider BT and mobile operator EE before demanding a four million US dollar ransom on August 1 2021. But the 17-year-old was found not guilty of a charge of have carried out an unauthorised act to impair the operation of a computer and a further charge of blackmail in relation to BT. He previously pleaded guilty to one offence under the Computer Misuse Act and one count of fraud. Neither defendant gave evidence during the jury trial. Sentencing dates at the same court have yet to be fixed for either defendant. This has been a complex and sensitive investigation involving a multi-agency response and there have been a number of challenges throughout the police investigation and judicial process Detective Superintendent Richard Waight A case management hearing has been set for Kurtaj on September 21, while it is hoped that a sentencing date may be fixed for the 17 year-old on November 9. During the trial, the court was told that Kurtaj had been living in care since the age of 14 and had been housed for a period in a Travelodge “for his own protection”. Kurtaj’s defence counsel David Miller described the youngster as “the most vulnerable of adolescents” who was now pitted against huge companies and corporations worth billions, who had unlimited funds and unlimited resources including the FBI, National Crime Agency, Interpol and City of London Police. During closing speeches, he told the jury: “Keep in mind Arion Kurtaj’s psychological make-up, and in particular his psychological condition, his education or lack thereof – could he be the highly intelligent, competent genius that the prosecution set out at the beginning?” After the verdicts, Detective Superintendent Richard Waight, of the City of London Police, said: “This has been a complex and sensitive investigation involving a multi-agency response and there have been a number of challenges throughout the police investigation and judicial process. “We thank the judge and jury for being patient throughout the trial, during deliberations and for the subsequent verdicts.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Social media firms should reimburse online purchase scam victims – Barclays Hozier would consider striking over AI threat to music industry Snapchat experiences ‘temporary outage’ as My AI chatbot posts own Story
2023-08-26 04:55
You Might Like...

Afghans who recently arrived in US get temporary legal status from Biden administration

Police say brother of Colombian Women's World Cup player Carabalí has been shot dead at a nightclub

Rescuers recover 33 bodies from a landslide at a Myanmar jade mine, with 3 people still missing

Japan aircon king Daikin looks to custom chips for energy savings

'She's a disaster': Jane Fonda under fire as she blames and calls to arrest 'White men' for 'climate crisis'

Watch: NFL refs penalize Bears DB for having facemask ripped off

Gareth Southgate wants England to retain winning mentality on road to Euro 2024

911 calls from deadly Lahaina wildfire show residents' terror and panic in a desperate bid to escape