Hyrra Features the Latest and Most Talked-About Topstories News and Headlines from Around the World.
⎯ 《 Hyrra • Com 》
Ambushed at an LA park, kidnapped and her body dumped in a field: What happened to Andrea Vazquez?
Ambushed at an LA park, kidnapped and her body dumped in a field: What happened to Andrea Vazquez?
It was a Sunday night and a young couple were sitting together in a car at a park near Los Angeles. What happened next was something straight out of a horror movie – except this was real life. A gunman suddenly opened fire on the couple before pulling 19-year-old Andrea Vazquez from the car. Vazquez’s boyfriend escaped the gunfire but returned to the vehicle to find she had been kidnapped. After an intensive one-day search, the harrowing incident culminated in despair as Vazquez’s body was found in a field and a suspect – who has no known connection to the couple – was arrested for her murder. Heartbroken relatives described Vazquez as a “beautiful person” as they have been left struggling to understand what happened and why. Here’s everything we know so far about her abduction and death: A chilling abduction The horror unfolded just after midnight on Sunday 20 August when Vazquez and her boyfriend were sitting in a car at Penn Park in Whittier, police said. Her boyfriend told police that an armed suspect then approached their vehicle and “fired a weapon in their direction,” police said. Vazquez’s boyfriend fled the scene and when he returned he discovered blood near his car and his girlfriend missing. Vazquez has been kidnapped from the scene. Officers were alerted to a shooting and kidnapping incident located at the “parking stalls area” at 13950 Penn Street in Whittier. In a statement following her kidnapping, police said that Vazquez was last seen wearing a black long-sleeve crop top, khaki pants, and black low-top Converse shoes. “She has a tattoo of ‘Edlyn’ on the back of the neck, Aries constellation on the top of her right hand and a belly button piercing,” the statement read. Vasquez’s sister, Edlyn, with whom she lives in Los Angeles, put out a plea on Facebook for the public’s help in finding her. “My sister was shot and kidnapped at Penn Park,” she wrote. “Her last location shows Moreno Valley. We don’t know her condition. Please I am begging, if anyone has information, or the heart to share this, please please contact me and repost.” Another relative Emily Martinez told Fox News Digital that Vasquez’s phone last pinged in the Moreno Valley area. “We’re scared for her, but I’m hopeful, very hopeful that we’ll find her,” she said. “We just want to know she’s OK.” Tragic discovery Following the horror kidnapping, a huge search was launched to try to find the missing 19-year-old. That search ended in tragedy on Monday 21 August when, at around 11.50pm local time, authorities combing the area of Moreno Valley made a gruesome discovery. Police said that the teen’s body had been found in a vegetation field off Alessandro Boulevard and Merwin Street in Moreno Valley. It is currently unclear how she died or the nature of the scene where her body was found. The investigation remains ongoing but police said that it appears that the attack on Vazquez and her boyfriend was “randomly targeted”. The ‘random’ suspect On Tuesday 22 August, police announced an update on the case as a suspect was taken into custody. Detectives from the Whittier Police Department and the LADA Community Violence Reduction Team arrested Gabriel Esparza, a 20-year-old man and Whittier resident, in connection with the kidnapping and shooting of Vazquez. Mr Esparza was taken into custody at his workplace in the city of Lakewood and booked into the Whittier Police Department jail on charges of murder and kidnapping. He is being held without bail. During his arrest, officers recovered a weapon and Esparza’s White Toyota Tacoma truck – which are believed to have been used at the time of the shooting. “This relentless investigation and yesterday’s arrest were made possible by the dedication and commitment of our investigations division, with the assistance of the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Downey Police Department, La Habra Police Department and the LADA Investigations Bureau Community Violence Reduction Team,” police said in a statement. The case will be presented to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office on Wednesday 23 August. Suspect pleads not guilty in first court appearance Gabriel Sean Esparza, the 20-year-old son of a Los Angeles County fire captain, has been charged with multiple felonies including murder, kidnapping and attempted rape of 19-year-old Andrea Vazquez. Mr Esparza entered a not-guilty plea when he made his first court appearance for the brutal slaying on Wednesday afternoon. Prosecutors have formally filed seven charges against the suspect, according to a criminal complaint submitted in Los Angeles Superior Court. These also include attempted murder, kidnapping to commit another crime, assault with intent to commit a felony, and two counts of attempted forcible rape. Tributes pour in Vasquez attended Fullerton College and was a fashion design student as well as an employee at a shopping mall in Cerritos. Ms Martinez told Fox News Digital before her body was found that the 19-year-old had also been working with her sister Edlyn, who is a lash artist. She described Vazquez as the “funniest person ever” and a “beautiful person” who was liked by everyone who met her. Read More Andrea Vazquez – latest: Gabriel Esparza arrested for murder after kidnapping teen on date with boyfriend Andrea Vazquez: California woman shot and kidnapped from boyfriend’s car found dead
2023-08-24 07:24
Greek court postpones hearing for smuggling suspects in deadly migrant boat sinking until Tuesday
Greek court postpones hearing for smuggling suspects in deadly migrant boat sinking until Tuesday
A Greek court has postponed a hearing for nine men accused of being migrant smugglers in a case involving the sinking of a fishing trawler last week that killed at least 80 people and has left hundreds more missing
2023-06-19 22:56
Lawyers submitted bogus case law created by ChatGPT. A judge fined them $5,000
Lawyers submitted bogus case law created by ChatGPT. A judge fined them $5,000
A federal judge has imposed $5,000 fines on a group of lawyers after ChatGPT was blamed for their submission of fictitious legal research to support an aviation injury claim
2023-06-23 06:18
England into World Cup quarter-finals as Japan beat Samoa
England into World Cup quarter-finals as Japan beat Samoa
Japan survived a ferocious fightback by 14-man Samoa to win 28-22 in Toulouse on Thursday, tightening their grip on second place in World Cup Pool D and ensuring...
2023-09-29 05:29
Apple is reportedly spending 'millions of dollars a day' on AI
Apple is reportedly spending 'millions of dollars a day' on AI
Beneath the surface, Apple is churning away on AI development, just like every other tech
2023-09-07 11:50
Japan's Oda, 17, becomes youngest Grand Slam wheelchair champion
Japan's Oda, 17, becomes youngest Grand Slam wheelchair champion
Japan's Tokito Oda defeated top-ranked Alfie Hewett of Britain 6-1, 6-4 in the French Open wheelchair final to become the sport's youngest...
2023-06-10 21:56
McConnell Named President and CEO of Alaska Communications
McConnell Named President and CEO of Alaska Communications
ANCHORAGE, Alaska--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov 20, 2023--
2023-11-21 00:26
Who started Drag Story Hour? How an author created a safe space for children to learn about LGBTQIA+ topics
Who started Drag Story Hour? How an author created a safe space for children to learn about LGBTQIA+ topics
The first Drag Story Hour took place in San Francisco in 2015 and the event is now held in several other nations
2023-07-09 21:22
Braves Rumors: Marcell Ozuna hate, Kyle Wright return, Orlando Arcia future
Braves Rumors: Marcell Ozuna hate, Kyle Wright return, Orlando Arcia future
Atlanta Braves Rumors: Why is Marcell Ozuna receiving so much hate from rivals? Kyle Wright returned to the mound in Rome. Is Orlando Arcia's future murky?
2023-08-26 00:17
Andy Warhol violated a photographer's copyright on image of Prince, Supreme Court rules
Andy Warhol violated a photographer's copyright on image of Prince, Supreme Court rules
The Supreme Court has ruled in favor of a photographer who claimed the late Andy Warhol had violated her copyright on a photograph of the singer Prince
2023-05-18 23:59
South Africa to send below-strength Test team to New Zealand
South Africa to send below-strength Test team to New Zealand
South Africa will send an understrength team to New Zealand for two World Test Championship matches in February, following the release on Tuesday of the fixtures...
2023-08-15 23:45
Florence Pugh compared to a 'god' after exposing her nipples again
Florence Pugh compared to a 'god' after exposing her nipples again
Florence Pugh stunned in a sheer gown while attending Valentino's Haute Couture show at Paris Fashion Week – and fans can't get enough, with one likening the star to a "God". The 27-year-old actress headed to the Chateau de Chantilly setting on Wednesday (5 July) for the 2023 show, sporting a delicate lavender gown baring her chest from Pierpaolo Piccioli’s past collection. Pugh took to Instagram to showcase the sheer dress in a string of photos, with thousands complimenting the star and her ensemble. In the caption, Pugh said she felt "inspired" by the Italian designer, adding: "So grateful that we got to see the art that you and your creators and makers worked and continue to work so hard on." She continued: "Stunning again. Well done to all who graced those steps, unbelievably beautiful show. @maisonvalentino." The Instagram post was soon inundated with comments praising Pugh, with one writing: "I don't know how you do it but you always tend to devour every look." Another joked, "I'm honoured to live in Florence Pugh's time," while a third passionate fan of the Don't Worry Darling actress compared her to a God. Sign up for our free Indy100 weekly newsletter The dress marks the second time Pugh freed the nipple at a Valentino event, which surprisingly caused a stir online, forcing Pugh to hit back. "It isn’t the first time and certainly won’t be the last time a woman will hear what’s wrong with her body by a crowd of strangers, what’s worrying is just how vulgar some of you men can be," she wrote at the time. "Thankfully, I’ve come to terms with the intricacies of my body that make me, me. I’m happy with all of the ‘flaws’ that I couldn’t bear to look at when I was 14." She concluded: "Grow up. Respect people. Respect bodies. Respect all women. Respect humans." Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-07-06 22:50