
MLB says teams have gotten 94% of money owed to them by Diamond Sports
Major League Baseball says teams have collected 94% of the money they have been owed by Diamond Sports
2023-07-12 05:17

Thousands died in the Philippines' 'war on drugs.' An international probe will now go ahead
Appeals judges at the International Criminal Court ruled Tuesday that an investigation into the Philippines' so-called “war on drugs” can resume, rejecting Manila’s objections to the case going ahead at the global court. The court’s investigation was suspended in late 2021 after the Philippines said it was already probing the same allegations and argued that the ICC — a court of last resort — therefore didn’t have jurisdiction. The Philippines launched its appeal after judges in January agreed with the court’s chief prosecutor, Karim Khan, that deferring the investigation to Manila was “not warranted.” At the time, judges ruled that the domestic proceedings did not amount to “tangible, concrete and progressive investigative steps in a way that would sufficiently mirror the court’s investigation.” At a hearing Tuesday, Presiding Judge Marc Perrin de Brichambaut said that the five-judge appeals panel, in a majority decision, agreed and rejected the Philippines' appeal. More than 6,000 suspects, most of them people who lived in poverty, have been killed in the crackdown on drug crime, according to government pronouncements. Human rights groups say the death toll is considerably higher and should include many unsolved killings by motorcycle-riding gunmen who may have been deployed by police. Former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has defended the crackdown as “lawfully directed against drug lords and pushers who have for many years destroyed the present generation, especially the youth.” Duterte withdrew the Philippines from The Hague-based court in 2019 in a move rights activists said was an attempt to evade accountability and prevent an international probe into thousands of killings in his campaign against illegal drugs. However, the ICC still has jurisdiction over alleged crimes committed when the country was still a member state of the court. The current Philippine president, Ferdinand Marcos Jr., said last year that Manila has no plan to rejoin the ICC, a decision that supports his predecessor’s stance but rejects the wishes of human rights activists.
2023-07-18 17:53

AdvoCare® Supports BvB Dallas Event for Second Year at Field Day
RICHARDSON, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep 6, 2023--
2023-09-06 23:21

3 activists are acquitted of defaming a Thai poultry company accused of violating labor laws
Three Thai human rights activists have been acquitted of criminally defaming a poultry company with social media posts that supported other activists who had accused it of abusive labor practices
2023-08-29 19:46

Paul Smyth stars as Northern Ireland see off San Marino
Paul Smyth marked his first start for Northern Ireland with a goal and an assist as they saw off San Marino 3-0, but although Michael O’Neill’s side ended a five-game losing streak it was a largely drab affair at Windsor Park. QPR striker Smyth, earning a sixth cap, got his first competitive goal for his country just five minutes in and then teed up Josh Magennis to get the second moments later, but it took until the 81st minute for Northern Ireland to get a third as substitute Conor McMenamin got his maiden strike. Victory over a side ranked 207th and last in the world will do nothing to solve the bigger problems that have plagued Northern Ireland throughout a miserable Euro 2024 qualifying campaign and beyond, but it does at least change the narrative as they recorded a first home win in over a year. Looking to mix things up, O’Neill brought a number of fresh faces into his starting line-up, with Conor Hazard making his first competitive appearance in goal and first starts for Smyth and Dale Taylor. Almost immediately the two forwards combined as Taylor met Smyth’s low cross at the near post, but he was unable to keep his shot down from a difficult angle. No matter, because two minutes later Smyth scored, arriving on cue to volley in Jamal Lewis’ dinked cross from the left. And only six minutes later, Magennis doubled the advantage as Smyth turned provider, driving a low cross in from the right which Magennis turned in at the near post – his first goal since the winner against Kosovo in September 2022, Northern Ireland’s last Windsor Park victory before this. Any fears that San Marino might upset a struggling Northern Ireland side dissipated and they continued to drive forward against their part-time opponents, with Daniel Ballard heading narrowly wide and Trai Hume sending a shot over from distance after being encouraged to try his luck by the crowd. Smyth thought he had a second in the 31st minute when Jonny Evans sent forward a long ball and he arrived to lift it over the goalkeeper with another volleyed finish, but it was ruled out for offside after a lengthy VAR check. But despite the scoreline the atmosphere inside Windsor Park felt flat, to the extent that at one point in the first half chanting was even played on the PA system, and it was not helped when a torrential downpour before half-time sent those in the family stand scrambling for cover. The 19-year-old Taylor had chances to emulate Smyth’s achievement on his first start after the break, but headed over from Paddy McNair’s free-kick and then squandered a better opportunity just before the hour, poking a shot wide after being played in by Magennis. O’Neill then brought on another exciting teenager in West Ham striker Callum Marshall, one of three changes as Conor Washington and Isaac Price also came on with Smyth, Magennis and Evans departing and Ballard taking the captain’s armband. Washington was fortunate to avoid an almost immediate red card when he connected heavily with the ankle of Lorenzo Lazzari, but referee Bram Van Driessche decided a yellow card was sufficient after being advised to check the replay. San Marino goalkeeper Elia Benedettini made a double save to deny Price and then Marshall but Northern Ireland were struggling to carve out clear chances as the visitors defended deep. But McMenamin came on along with Brodie Spencer with a little over 10 minutes left, and the St Mirren winger was on the scoresheet moments later. Benedettini got a hand to a powerful strike from Washington, but could only push it into the centre of goal, where McMenamin was waiting to wrap up the win for Northern Ireland. Read More Josh Hodge hat-trick helps Exeter inflict record defeat on Saracens Ben Stokes ‘getting better day by day’ but Afghanistan game could come too soon World Cup has given Rob Burrow the rugby union bug – Kevin Sinfield Returning Antoine Dupont ‘inspires fear in opponents’ – Mathieu Jalibert Gareth Southgate fired up as England face ‘revitalised’ Italy in crunch clash Chelsea defender Levi Colwill looking to build on ‘amazing’ England debut
2023-10-14 23:29

BlackRock Names CEO of World’s Biggest Oil Producer to Its Board
BlackRock Inc. has named Saudi Aramco Chief Executive Officer Amin Nasser to its board, underscoring the asset manager’s
2023-07-18 16:15

Real Madrid's Camavinga suffers knee ligament damage
Real Madrid midfielder Eduardo Camavinga suffered knee ligament damage while training with the French national team, the...
2023-11-17 20:19

No. 5 Washington faces a challenging final month that will prove if the Huskies are playoff worthy
Washington coach Kalen DeBoer has coached championship teams at the lower levels of college football before and knows there are going to be rough patches even in the best of seasons
2023-11-01 06:56

Midwife's Ukraine work inspires Eurovision winner Sandie Shaw
Singer Sandy Shaw was inspired by the midwife after hearing her on BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour.
2023-05-16 13:48

Stock market today: Asian shares are mixed on signs of slowing growth in the US and China
Asian shares have begun the week with mixed trading
2023-07-10 12:29

Red Sox mourn loss of two-time World Series winner Tim Wakefield
The baseball world is in mourning over the tremendous loss of one of the finest individuals in baseball. Sadly, Tim Wakefield has passed away at the age of 57, and his memory will live-on for years to come.
2023-10-02 03:20

District attorney praises officer who shot man who killed two Black bystanders moments earlier
A police officer who shot a man who gunned down two Black people moments earlier in the Boston suburb of Winthrop in 2021 used reasonable force to defend himself and others and won’t face criminal charges
2023-10-18 06:18
You Might Like...

Alibaba tells Erdogan it plans to invest $2 billion in Turkey

Is Kelly Ripa stepping down? 'Live' co-host admits she considers retirement with 'great interest'

PGA Tour Says It Will Offer Equity Ownership to Players

Australia's out-of-form Warner determined to exit on own terms

Boat crashes into Lake of the Ozarks home, injuring 8 on board, troopers say

British-Nigerian hacker pleads guilty to $6m fraud in US court

Argentina coach says Messi 'deserves' MLS move

Addison Rae and Patrick Dempsey star in Eli Roth's bloody 'Thanksgiving', set stage for Halloween season