Hyrra Features the Latest and Most Talked-About Topstories News and Headlines from Around the World.
⎯ 《 Hyrra • Com 》
Watchdog files complaint against Elon Musk’s X for running ‘hundreds of unlabelled ads’
Watchdog files complaint against Elon Musk’s X for running ‘hundreds of unlabelled ads’
A US watchdog has filed a compliant against Elon Musk’s X – previously Twitter – calling for an investigation over the platform’s advertising practices, including the alleged non-disclosure of some posts as ads. The non-profit organisation Check My Ads filed the complaint with the US Federal Trade Commission about the lack of labeling of some posts as ads, arguing that such content on the platform could mislead users. “This misrepresentation tricks users into trusting content as organic and exacerbates the opportunity for scams to occur,” the complaint noted. “Furthermore, by failing to adequately disclose advertisements, X Corp. misrepresents the methods employed to target users or facilitate third-party ad targeting,” it said. After initially spotting instances of adverts on X not being labelled, the watchdog called out users on the microblogging platform in September to flag more such instances they spot. In the following weeks, it gatherd information on “hundreds of unlabelled ads” from several users to build a case to the FTC, demanding X to be investigated. “Not marking ads is no small thing. As the complaint points out, unlabeled ads could trick users into thinking content is organic, increasing the chance for scams,” Check My Ads explained in a blog post. With unlabelled ads on social media platforms, people also have no way to know they are being targetted. While X is set up to explain why any user is seeing a particular ad with a hyperlink, the watchdog found that these links are “frequently broken”. “X Corp.’s lack of disclosures to consumers, misrepresentations to advertisers, and flawed access to explanations about targeted advertising constitute unfair and deceptive practices,“ Check My Ads’ policy director Sarah Kay Wiley said. “We urge the Commission to determine the extent of these violations and address them to the full extent of its authority,” Ms Wiley said. X did not immediately respond to The Independent’s request for comment. The complaint comes as X countinues different approaches, including new paid for services, to shore up more revenue, which is down 60 per cent since Mr Musk took over the company. While once advert posts had the word “promoted” below them, they now are seen with a smaller “ad” label, which do not seem to appear on some posts as the complaint mentions. Users have also complained on the platform that they are sometimes even unable to block or report some unlabeled ads. Read More Elon Musk’s new AI bot will help you make cocaine which proves it’s ‘rebellious’ How Elon Musk’s ‘spicy’ Grok compares to ‘woke’ ChatGPT Elon Musk unveils new sarcasm-loving AI chatbot for premium X subscribers VR tool aims to help rail passengers spot and safely tackle sexual harassment WhatsApp warning over fee to keep old messages ChatGPT Plus stops signups after major update
2023-11-16 14:19
China’s Banks Keep Lending Rates Unchanged After PBOC’s Hold
China’s Banks Keep Lending Rates Unchanged After PBOC’s Hold
Chinese banks kept their benchmark lending rates unchanged for a ninth consecutive month following the central bank’s decision
2023-05-22 09:57
Australia's AMP names Blair Vernon as CFO, dissolves local wealth management arm
Australia's AMP names Blair Vernon as CFO, dissolves local wealth management arm
Australia's AMP said on Monday Blair Vernon will take over from Peter Fredricson as its chief financial officer
2023-05-29 08:29
The Raiders' inability to create takeaways continues a recent pattern
The Raiders' inability to create takeaways continues a recent pattern
The Las Vegas Raiders have zero takeaways
2023-09-26 08:23
Supporting Patient Safety: Fresenius Kabi Expands Ready-to-Administer Portfolio with Diazepam Injection, USP in Simplist® Prefilled Syringe
Supporting Patient Safety: Fresenius Kabi Expands Ready-to-Administer Portfolio with Diazepam Injection, USP in Simplist® Prefilled Syringe
LAKE ZURICH, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 31, 2023--
2023-05-31 23:52
'Looking like popcorn': Internet trolls Kylie Jenner as she poses in nude Prada 92 dress
'Looking like popcorn': Internet trolls Kylie Jenner as she poses in nude Prada 92 dress
'The Kardashians' star Kylie Jenner stuns in flower filled Parada outfit
2023-09-23 09:24
Biden hails ‘unbroken’ Ukrainian people in Nato speech to spirited crowd of 10,000 - and one Trump fan
Biden hails ‘unbroken’ Ukrainian people in Nato speech to spirited crowd of 10,000 - and one Trump fan
President Joe Biden on Wednesday hailed the “unbroken” people of Ukraine and the “incredible dignity” with which they’ve acted to repel Russia’s invading forces as he pledged on behalf of the Western world to maintain support for Kyiv’s defence for as long as necessary. Mr Biden delivered his remarks to a boisterous crowd who’d gathered hours ahead of time to hear him speak in the Great Court at Vilnius University, following the conclusion of this year’s Nato leaders’ summit, at which leaders of the 31-member defence alliance agreed to expedite Ukraine’s bid for membership in the bloc once the war with Russia has been brought to a close. The president, who was also met with one person in the crowd who held a sign marking him as a supporter of his predecessor, Donald Trump, noted the history of the place where he was speaking, and recalled how the Lithuanian yellow, green and red tricolour flag remained aloft outside the country’s diplomatic mission to Washington, even throughout the Soviet occupation of Lithuania. He said some of the older attendees in the crowd would “know better than anyone how precious the right to determine your own future is,” and praised Lithuania and the other Baltic states — Estonia and Latvia — for their strenuous advocacy for Ukraine’s defence and for Kyiv’s bid for membership in Nato. Mr Biden said that all parties involved “want this war to end,” but only on terms that will “uphold the basic principles” of the UN charter concerning national sovereignty and territorial integrity, calling those concepts “two pillars of peaceful relations among nations”. “One country cannot be allowed to seize his neighbour territory by force,” he said, adding that Moscow “could end this war tomorrow” by pulling back Russian forces from all of Ukraine’s territory, with the caveat that Moscow “has shown thus far no interest” in such an outcome because Russian president Vladimir Putin “still wrongly believes that he can outlast Ukraine”. “He can't believe it's their land, their country and their future and even after all this time, Putin still doubts their staying power,” Mr Biden said, adding that the Russian leader is “still making a bad bet” by thinking that the “conviction and the unity among the United States and our allies and partners will break down”. “He still doesn't understand that our commitment, our values, our freedom is something he can never, never, ever ever walk away from. It's who we are,” he said. “The defence of freedom is not the work of a day or a year. It's the calling of our lifetime — of all time. We’re steeled for the struggle ahead, our unity will not falter, I promise you”. Mr Biden added that the US and Western commitment to Ukraine’s defence “will not waver”. “Our commitment to Ukraine will not weaken. We will stand for liberty today, tomorrow, and for as long as it takes,” he said. The president’s remarks echoed another rousing speech he delivered in Warsaw five months ago, when he pledged “unwavering” support for Ukraine’s defence and Nato’s unity less than 24 hours after a surprise visit to Kyiv. At the time, he pledged that Ukraine “will never be a victory for Russia,” and it appears that the rest of the West is on board with Mr Biden’s plans. In addition to the Nato leaders who gathered in Vilnius this week, Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida travelled there to unveil a new joint declaration from the Group of Seven in support of Kyiv’s defence. In remarks delivered following the G7 leaders’ session, Mr Biden said the joint declaration will “make it clear” that support for Kyiv from the world’s largest democracies “will last long into the future”. “This starts a process by which each of our nations and any other nation who wishes to participate will negotiate long-term bilateral or security commitments with him to Ukraine. We’re going to help Ukraine build a strong capable defence across land, air and sea ... which will enforce stability in the region and deter against any and all threats,” he said. Mr Biden reiterated the same sentiment a short time later during a bilateral meeting with Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky. He praised Mr Zelensky, the actor-turned-politician who has served as Ukraine’s leader since 2019, as having “done an enormous job” and promised that the US and its allies would “make sure that you get what you need”. “And I look forward to the day when we’re having the meetings celebrating your official membership in Nato, so thank you for what you’re doing,” he said. For his part, Mr Zelensky thanked the US president for his recent decision to provide Kyiv with cluster munitions for use against Russian troops on Ukrainian soil, telling Mr Biden that the move “will help us to save us”. The announcement of the joint declaration and the meeting between Mr Biden and Mr Zelensky came after days of tension between the Ukrainian leader and his other Western counterparts over Ukraine’s prospects for membership in Nato. While the US and many other Nato nations had been skittish about giving Ukraine a path to rapid membership while the war with Russia continues, other states have pushed for an immediate change in Kyiv’s status. But the joint declaration — and an announcement from Nato that Ukraine could skip the Membership Action Plan previously laid out for the country’s membership bid and join at a future date post-war — appeared to smooth over the tension between the allies and the Ukrainian leader. Asked how long it would take for Nato to accept Ukraine once the war was over, Mr Biden quipped: “An hour and 20 minutes”. Read More Biden says support for Ukraine ‘will not waver’ in fiery Vilnius speech after Zelensky Nato meeting - live Biden and Zelenskyy praise each other despite divisions over Ukraine war Ukraine’s greatest weapon isn’t on the battlefield The Body in the Woods | An Independent TV Original Documentary The harrowing discovery at centre of The Independent’s new documentary
2023-07-13 03:21
‘Trauma Dumping’ Is Real & Your Hairdresser Needs You To Stop Doing It
‘Trauma Dumping’ Is Real & Your Hairdresser Needs You To Stop Doing It
Breakups, dating drama, fertility struggles, and family feuds — hairdressers are privy to all manner of personal stories. As we relax, unwind, and feel someone else’s fingers through our hair, we tend to let down our guard, and often, the conversation can spill over into a free therapy session. The salon chair has long served as a sanctuary where we instinctively find solace in sharing our deepest thoughts and emotions. But unbeknown to us, hairdressers repeat the same interaction up to eight or nine times a day. It’s little wonder, then, that this is taking a serious toll on their mental health.
2023-09-06 04:28
Kellen Moore hyping up an underrated characteristic of Chargers offense
Kellen Moore hyping up an underrated characteristic of Chargers offense
Kellen Moore sees a big, albeit underrated, advantage within the Los Angeles Chargers offense.New Los Angeles Chargers offensive coordinator Kellen Moore knows you cannot coach size.That, and speed, are two attributes coaches in sports based on athleticism continually covet. You can't r...
2023-07-01 23:18
Sean 'Diddy' Combs accuses liquor giant Diageo of racism in lawsuit
Sean 'Diddy' Combs accuses liquor giant Diageo of racism in lawsuit
Music producer and rapper Sean "Diddy" Combs is suing spirits company Diageo, accusing it of neglecting their business agreement and failing to invest in his...
2023-06-01 17:26
US House Speaker Johnson unveils a two-step stopgap bill - media
US House Speaker Johnson unveils a two-step stopgap bill - media
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Saturday announced a two-step temporary funding measure aimed at averting
2023-11-12 04:53
Fired Michigan assistant coach Chris Partridge says he had no knowledge of sign-stealing scheme
Fired Michigan assistant coach Chris Partridge says he had no knowledge of sign-stealing scheme
Former Michigan linebackers coach Chris Partridge says in a social media post he had no knowledge of the alleged in-person scouting and sign-stealing scheme for which the NCAA is investigating the Wolverines
2023-11-28 06:48