
Over $200bn in Covid-19 small business loans stolen: US govt. watchdog
The United States lost more than $200 billion to fraud from two schemes designed to help small businesses through the Covid-19 pandemic, according to...
2023-06-28 04:25

Former Trump aide Meadows pleads not guilty to Georgia election subversion charges -court filing
WASHINGTON Former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows has waived a formal arraignment and pleaded not guilty
2023-09-05 23:25

Biotech Cyteir’s Drug Flop Turns Into Boon for Investors on Cash Return
A little-known biotech company, Cyteir Therapeutics Inc., notched its best day ever — on the back of plans
2023-07-01 04:58

'Quordle' today: Here are the answers and hints for June 18
If Quordle is a little too challenging today, you've come to the right place for
2023-06-18 06:55

Rangers slugger Adolis García, leading the AL in RBIs, exits game after getting hit by a pitch
Texas Rangers right fielder Adolis García has exited a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers after the All-Star slugger got hit by a pitch on his right hand
2023-07-23 07:16

Energy crisis and inflation push more German firms into insolvency - study
The number of German firms pushed into insolvency rose in the first half of this year at the
2023-06-29 22:29

Playground stabbing: French town holds gathering to support wounded children, families
The French Alps town of Annecy is holding a “citizens’ gathering’’ at the lakeside park where a man with a knife raced around stabbing people
2023-06-11 17:50

Critics say Biden is lying about how his son Beau died – they are ignoring the full story
Joe Biden has again been criticised for saying that his late son Beau “lost his life in Iraq” – a reference to the president’s long-held belief that toxic burn pits led to the younger Biden passing away from brain cancer at the age of 46. The president made his latest remarks to US troops stationed in Japan during his trip to the country, after making similar remarks at least twice last year. “My son was a major in the US Army. We lost him in Iraq,” said Mr Biden during an informal visit with troops at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni last Thursday in a video obtained by The New York Post. Right-wing media outlets have attempted to use Mr Biden’s comments on Beau’s death as a sign that the 80-year-old Democrat has memory issues ahead of the 2024 presidential election. Mr Biden’s son died of brain cancer in 2015 at the Walter Reed military hospital in Bethesda, Maryland. Last October Mr Biden made similar comments while speaking close to Vail, Colorado, as he designated Camp Hail as a national monument. The area, covering 436 square miles, was the training site of the 10th Mountain Division during the Second World War. Mr Biden spoke of the bravery of the division as they fought in Italy, before stating that he lost his son in Iraq. “Just imagine, I mean it sincerely, I say this as a father of a man who won the Bronze Star, the conspicuous service medal, and lost his life in Iraq. Imagine the courage, the daring, and the genuine sacrifice they all made,” the president said. A clip of the moment shared by the conservative Washington Examiner on Twitter has been viewed more than a million times. Beau Biden served in Iraq between 2008 and 2009 as a member of the Delaware Army National Guard. He was the Delaware Attorney General between 2007 and 2015. Just months after leaving the post, he passed away at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland on 30 May 2015. After his passing, he was given the Delaware Conspicuous Service Cross for “heroism, meritorious service and outstanding achievement”. “Beau Biden died of brain cancer in 2015, more than five years after he returned from a year serving in Iraq. Joe Biden has attributed the cancer to Beau Biden’s proximity to burn pits in Iraq, though sometimes conceded he isn’t sure,” CNN fact-checker Daniel Dale tweeted. In 2016, then-Vice President Biden said his son’s cancer could have been caused by the toxic burn pits that he was exposed to during his service in the Middle East. The New York Times reported that Mr Biden said he was “stunned” when he read a chapter concerning the death of his son in the book The Burn Pits: The Poisoning of America’s Soldiers by Joseph Hickman. “Guys, I’m going to be the biggest pain in your neck as long as I live, until we figure out about these burn pits,” he said in a conference room in the congressional complex. Burn pits were used to get rid of waste, such as plastics, rubber, and batteries, in both Afghanistan and Iraq. The smoke from the pits could be toxic, Newsweek noted. The Department of Defence has stated that almost 3.5 million service members could have been exposed to toxins at harmful levels because of the practice. “I’ve always believed that we have a sacred obligation to equip those we send to war, and care for those and their families when they come home,” Mr Biden said during his State of the Union speech earlier this year. “And they come home, many of the world’s fittest and best-trained warriors in the world, never the same. Headaches. Numbness. Dizziness. A cancer that would put them in a flag-draped coffin.” While Mr Biden said he couldn’t be entirely sure that his son’s cancer was caused by the burn pits, he said his administration would be “finding out everything we can”. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) states on its website that it “understands that many Veterans are especially concerned about exposure to the smoke and fumes generated by open burn pits”. “In Iraq, Afghanistan, and other areas of the Southwest Asia theater of military operations, open-air combustion of trash and other waste in burn pits was a common practice. The Department of Defense has now closed out most burn pits and is planning to close the remainder,” the agency adds. “Researchers, including experts at VA, are actively studying airborne hazards like burn pits and other military environmental exposures. Ongoing research will help us better understand potential long-term health effects and provide you with better care and services,” the site states. Read More DeSantis eases voting rules in counties devastated by Ian Trump supporter pleads guilty in staged ’Biden 2020’ arson attack he blamed on Antifa ‘The goose is cooked’: Why legal experts are now saying there’s enough evidence to charge Trump over Mar-a-Lago docs Biden ‘optimistic’ about McCarthy talks; AOC slams ‘dysfunctional’ debt ceiling E Jean Caroll targets Trump again after his derogatory CNN town hall smears Marjorie Taylor Greene’s boyfriend caught in drag video
2023-05-23 08:56

Israel far-right minister visits Al-Aqsa compound
Israel's National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir visited the flashpoint Al-Aqsa mosque compound Sunday, a controversial move by the extreme-right politician amid heightened...
2023-05-22 08:45

Royals manager Matt Quatraro ejected, two pitches before walk-off grand slam
Kansas City Royals manager Matt Quatraro was ejected arguing a checked-swing call on a 3-2 pitch with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning against the Boston Red Sox
2023-08-08 11:28

Many Americans say their household expenses are outpacing earnings this year, AP-NORC poll shows
About two in three Americans say their household expenses have risen over the last year, but only about one in four say their income has increased in the same period
2023-10-27 12:18

Ukraine-Russia war – live: Putin says Zelensky’s counter-offensive ‘completely failed’ as Avdiivka attacked
Vladimir Putin has claimed Ukraine‘s counteroffensive “completely failed” as Russia carries out a sustained assault in the east of the country. Russia currently controls about 17.5% of Ukrainian territory and a four-month-old Ukrainian counteroffensive this year has resulted in almost no net territorial gains, according to analysis of the territory held by Russia. While Ukraine took back territory taken by Russia last year, the Ukrainian army has struggled to penetrate Russian lines which have been bolstered with mine fields and thousands of extra Russian troops. “As for the counteroffensive, which is allegedly stalling, it has failed completely,” Putin said in video remarks posted to social media by a Kremlin journalist Pavel Zarubin. “The opposing side is preparing new active offensive operations. We see it and we know it,” Putin said when asked about the battle for the eastern Ukrainian town of Avdiivka. Both Russia and the United States have described the upsurge of fighting around Avdiivka as a new Russian offensive. Two civilians were killed in Russian attacks on the eastern Ukrainian town of Avdiivka on Saturday, according to Donetsk officials. Read More IOC suspends Russian Olympic Committee for incorporating Ukrainian sports regions French police probe ‘poisoning’ of TV journalist who denounced Putin’s war live on air Russia loses vote to rejoin UN’s top human rights body despite Putin’s charm offensive with stolen grain Putin scales up attack on key town in eastern Ukraine as three dead in drone strikes on Russia
2023-10-15 18:27
You Might Like...

US logs fastest hiring pace in months

Gabriel Jesus laughs off criticism of goalscoring record

Pakistani rescuers try to free 6 kids and 2 men in a cable car dangling hundreds of feet in the air

Freeman hits 2 of the Dodgers' 5 HRs as they rout the Rangers 16-3 in matchup of division leaders

BOJ tankan Q2 factory mood likely perked up for first time since 2021: Reuters poll

Aaron Rodgers strains calf during warmups, sits out first Jets practice open to media

Vikings' Kirk Cousins leaves game with ankle injury in 4th quarter

'Such a drama queen': Fans fume after 'Project Runway' Season 20 star Brittany Allen gets more screentime