
Total GivingTuesday donations were flat this year, but 10% fewer people participated in the day
The nonprofit organization GivingTuesday estimates that donors gave $3.1 billion this year on what has become one of the most important fundraising dates for U.S. nonprofits, the Tuesday after Thanksgiving
2023-11-30 09:21

US announces new $1.3 bn military aid package for Ukraine
The United States on Wednesday announced a new $1.3 billion military aid package for Ukraine featuring air defense systems, anti-tank...
2023-07-20 01:48

Here's what Donald Trump's return to X could mean for the platform's business
Nine months after Elon Musk reinstated Donald Trump's account on the social network previously known as Twitter, the former president has returned to what was once his platform of choice for communicating with the country.
2023-08-26 04:54

Arda Guler sent home from Real Madrid pre-season tour with knee injury
Real Madrid attacking midfielder Arda Guler has been sent home from their pre-season tour of the United States due to a knee injury.
2023-07-30 02:51

TikTok allowed millions of people to see Canadian ‘helicopter’ wildfire conspiracies before taking down videos
More than 400 wildfires are raging across Canada, and misinformation about the blazes is spreading as well, particularly on TikTok. As Media Matters for America (MMFA) noted in a recent analysis, videos on TikTok claiming the fires were started intentionally by helicopters, arsonists, and “directed energy weapons” have garnered millions of views this month, with the false ideas in these videos then spreading to other social media platforms. Only a few of the most viral false videos have been taken down, the analysis notes. Further scrutiny of such claims provides easy evidence to the contrary, with Canadian officials attributing the fires to a combination of lightning strikes, human accidents, and dry, climate crisis-fueled conditions across the country. “We are already seeing one of the worst wildfire seasons on record,” Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Environment and Climate Change, said in a statement earlier this month. “We must prepare for a long summer.” Other videos about the fires featured clips from a controlled burn by fire officials, as well as what was actually a 2015 wildfire, MMFA found. The Independent has contacted TikTok for comment. Tens of thousands of people have been evacuated from their homes including large numbers in Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia. Hundreds of firefighters have arrived from countries like Australia, New Zealand, the US, South Africa, Chile, Costa Rica and France to assist the exhausted Canadian crews. As The Independent has previously reported, misinformation spreads quickly on TikTok during ongoing disasters, thanks in part to public distrust of government officials and an increasingly anti-science bent in US politics. “Social media can be helpful. It alerts people to a situation. It’s a way for widespread dissemination,” Dr Erin Haynes, professor of preventive medicine and environmental health at the University of Kentucky told The Independent in March in the wake of the Ohio train derailment disaster. “But because of that it allows widespread dissemination of false information, so it can go both ways. You have to be very cautious when using social media. Fact-check, find the source of that information.” Read More Canadian wildfire smoke gives Minnesota city the worst air in the US Satellites capture Canadian wildfire smoke pouring into US Midwest Wildfire smoke from Canada might be a problem ‘all summer’
2023-06-19 06:59

Toni Kroos slams Eden Hazard for wasting his Real Madrid career
Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos has warned the incoming Jude Bellingham that Eden Hazard flopped after arriving on a big-money transfer and hopes history won't repeat itself.
2023-06-15 00:29

Ukraine-Russia war – live: Zelensky says UN ‘incapable’ of stopping Putin’s ‘criminal aggression’
Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelensky has accused the UN of being incapable of preventing aggressors invading other countries, as he accused Russia of committing “criminal and unprovoked aggression”. Coming face-to-face with Vladimir Putin’s ambassador to the UN for the first time since his country was invaded, Mr Zelensky told a special meeting of the UN’s security council that the aggression violated both the norms of war and the UN Charter itself. And he made an impassioned call for reform of the General Assembly and Security Council to end Russia’s war on his country. He urged reform of the world body, saying: “Humankind no longer pins its hopes on the UN when it comes to the defence of the sovereign border of nations.” The General Assembly should remove Russia’s veto power on the Security Council, he insisted, adding: “It is impossible to stop the war because all efforts are vetoed by the aggressor.” His proposals include expanding membership of the security council to include Germany and the African Union, among others. Read More Zelensky urges Trump to ‘not waste time’ and share proposal on ending Russian invasion of Ukraine Ukraine ‘has one month to hold knife to Crimea’s throat’ and force Putin into peace talks How Ukraine’s battle for the Black Sea is inflicting serious pain on Putin’s forces
2023-09-21 04:23

Stokes wants Ashes series to go 'beyond cricket'
England captain Ben Stokes says he wants to be involved in an Ashes series that goes "beyond cricket" as he prepares to face...
2023-06-08 23:59

DeSantis appointees seek Disney communications about governor, laws in fight over district
Appointees of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis are seeking communications between Disney and local media, as well as documents related to the company’s position on Florida’s so-called “Don’t Say Gay” law
2023-11-18 03:25

'We got a tooth': Kelly Osbourne marks special milestone with her little one after celebrating her second Thanksgiving as mother
Kelly Osbourne posted an adorable photo of 12-month-old Sidney showcasing his first tooth on Friday
2023-11-26 04:18

Ancient Roman sit of Pompeii is about to 'expand'
Pompeii, the ancient Roman city is set to expand. The Grande Pompei project, which will lay on free shuttle buses and shared tickets to other archaeological sites and villas in the vicinity.
2023-10-09 21:21

Rahm, Smith and Fitzpatrick together at PGA Championship
Reigning major champions Jon Rahm, Cameron Smith and Matthew Fitzpatrick will play together for the first two rounds of the 105th PGA Championship under...
2023-05-17 02:19
You Might Like...

Macron looks on as France's Africa policy crumbles

So-called toddler milks are unregulated and unnecessary, a major pediatrician group says

Mosquitoes, long the enemy, are now bred to help prevent the spread of dengue fever

Will there be a Season 7 of Netflix's 'Black Mirror'? Here's what to expect from the next part of dystopian anthology

Morgan Stanley Joins Goldman in Cutting China Index Targets

Dillon Danis takes polygraph test claiming Logan Paul will go down in Round 1 during October 14 match

US investment firm 777 partners agree deal for Everton takeover

San Francisco vegan restaurant Gracias Madre shuts down after 15 years due to city's 'deteriorating' conditions