Ireland boss Andy Farrell says ability to ‘roll with punches’ key for World Cup
Andy Farrell believes Ireland must remain calm and “roll with the punches” to realise their potential at the Rugby World Cup. Former dual code international Farrell is preparing for his first global tournament as head coach having previously been involved as a player and an assistant coach. Six Nations champions Ireland have topped the world rankings for more than a year and arrived in France on Thursday among the favourites to go all the way. Englishman Farrell has welcomed setbacks during his tenure to challenge his players and prevent them becoming fazed on the biggest stage. “The key learnings are the scenarios that we’ve tried to put ourselves through in the last few years,” the 48-year-old said of his previous World Cup experiences in both rugby union and rugby league. “You hear me say constantly ‘best laid plans and all that’, it’s 100 per cent that at a World Cup. “The ones that get flustered with all that because they’re not ready for all different types of permutations are the ones that lose the plot. The key to progressing in a competition like this is staying calm, keeping your feet under you and making sure that you just roll with the punches. Andy Farrell “The key to progressing in a competition like this is staying calm, keeping your feet under you and making sure that you just roll with the punches and be the best version of yourself no matter what happens and have no-excuse mentality. “We’ve tried to put ourselves in those type of positions before and we know what’s coming through.” Ireland have been placed in the tougher half of the draw and begin their campaign next Saturday against Romania in Bordeaux. Farrell’s men then face Tonga, reigning champions South Africa and Scotland in Pool B, with hosts France or New Zealand likely opponents should they progress to the quarter-finals. Asked if this is the most competitive and open World Cup, Farrell said: “I think everyone loves to say that anyway. “Everyone wants it to be like that because there’s so many good teams that can beat each other on any given day. “The pressures of the competition within itself, the history of all that shows that it is going to be a wide-open competition. So one step at a time. Let’s see if we can build some momentum.” Farrell assisted Joe Schmidt at the 2019 World Cup before stepping up to become Ireland boss following a quarter-final exit against the All Blacks. The opening year of his reign, amid the coronavirus pandemic, brought mixed results but his side have won 25 of 27 Tests dating back to round three of the 2021 Six Nations. “I’m not surprised,” Farrell said of the progress. “If you’re talking four years ago then we probably didn’t know the total plan as in what we’ve been through and what we’re going through. “The process has always been for the here and now, and the medium term, and the long term. “A lot tend to go from cycle to cycle and chop a few and carry on. “I think the right way, for me anyway, is to grow and develop competition as we go and then when we get to something like this (World Cup) watch and learn and let’s pick accordingly on what’s right on the team.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Mason Greenwood will begin to rebuild career with loan move to Getafe David Moyes enjoying West Ham topping Premier League after Luton win Sofyan Amrabat ‘will put everything’ into playing for Manchester United
2023-09-02 08:27
Sleep On Cloud 9 With This Mattress Topper (& Dreamy Deal)
Super Sale Alert: Get 25% off the Zero Gravity Organic Latex Topper at Essentia using our promo code R29, now through November 7.
2023-10-27 05:23
Who is Amber Waterman? 'Womb raider' indicted for killing Ashley Bush's unborn child
Amber Waterman’s husband, Jamie, reportedly told cops his wife took the life of Ashley Bush and they both burnt her body before discarding it
2023-07-01 14:47
Novak Djokovic hangs up the phone on Ben Shelton to reach his 10th US Open final
Novak Djokovic is back in the U.S. Open final for a record-tying 10th time after a 6-3, 6-2, 7-6 (4) victory over unseeded American Ben Shelton at a tournament the 23-time Grand Slam champion missed last year because he is not vaccinated against COVID-19
2023-09-09 06:57
BBC removes some Russell Brand content as monetisation suspended on YouTube
YouTube has stopped Russell Brand making money on its platform because of the rape and sexual assault allegations made against him. The Google-owned company said it has suspended the monetisation of the 48-year-old’s channel because he was “violating” its “creator responsibility policy”. The BBC has also announced it was removing some content from its iPlayer and Sounds apps which “now falls below public expectations”. An episode of QI and a Joe Wicks podcast, both featuring Brand as a guest, have been removed, the PA news agency understands. It comes as the Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee chairwoman Dame Caroline Dinenage has written to the BBC, Channel 4 and TikTok to request for further details on what actions they are taking in response to the allegations and to GB News in relation to their coverage of the claims. Brand’s YouTube account, which has 6.6 million subscribers, has been suspended from YouTube’s Partner account “following serious allegations against the creator”, meaning the channel is no longer able to make money from advertising on the platform. In a statement, YouTube said the decision applied to all channels that may be “owned or operated” by Brand, adding: “If a creator’s off-platform behaviour harms our users, employees or ecosystem, we take action to protect the community.” The news comes after the remaining shows of Brand’s Bipolarisation tour were postponed and the Metropolitan Police said they had received a report of an alleged sexual assault in the wake of media allegations about the comedian and actor. A BBC spokesperson said: “The BBC does not ban or remove content when it is a matter of public record, unless we have justification for doing so. “There is limited content featuring Russell Brand on iPlayer and Sounds. We’ve reviewed that content and made a considered decision to remove some of it, having assessed that it now falls below public expectations.” Dame Caroline has said: “This weekend we have seen some very serious and disturbing accusations about Russell Brand’s behaviour and we understand that the police are now looking into some of these allegations. “As a first step, our committee has decided that we will today write to media outlets, including the BBC and Channel 4, to understand the actions they are taking as we consider some of the issues around these allegations.” In separate letters to Channel 4 chief executive Alex Mahon and BBC director-general Tim Davie, the committee chairwoman asked for a timescale and regular updates on their internal investigation. The letters also requested updates on the investigation being conducted by Banijay UK, which bought Endemol, the company commissioned by Channel 4 to produce the Big Brother spin-off shows Brand hosted, into his behaviour while he was working on their programmes. She added: “We urge both the BBC and Channel 4 to do everything possible not only to ensure that employees, contributors and suppliers feel safe at work, but also create an environment whereby people can speak out when procedures are breached.” Meanwhile, TikTok’s director of Government relations, Theo Bertram, was asked whether Brand could monetise his posts on the video sharing platform, where he has 2.3 million followers. Dame Caroline also asked “what the platform is doing to ensure that creators are not able to use the platform to undermine the welfare of victims of inappropriate and potentially illegal behaviour”. Brand still has a presence on video platform Rumble, where his channel has 1.4 million followers and he hosts a weekly live show at 5pm BST, but there was no new episode on Monday. His most recent video on Rumble is the short clip from Friday when he denied the allegations against him, which were published the following day. His Rumble channel description reads: “Everybody knows that the old ideas won’t help us. Religion is dead. Capitalism is dead. Communism is dead. Where will the answers of the next century lie? Particularly, when we’re facing a mental health epidemic and ecological meltdown.” He also has a dedicated subscribers’ area on the online community platform Locals, where members can sign up for a minimum 60 US dollars (£48) a year – or enter a higher amount if they wish to donate more – in order to access special bonus content from Brand, as well as the opportunity to interact with him directly. Brand has been accused of rape, assault and emotional abuse between 2006 and 2013, when he was at the height of his fame and working for the BBC, Channel 4 and starring in Hollywood films, following a joint investigation by The Times, Sunday Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches. He has strongly denied the allegations, which also include claims of controlling, abusive and predatory behaviour. His YouTube channel includes coverage of news stories, including alleged misinformation surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic and being an outspoken sceptic of the vaccine. Last year, one of his videos was taken down on YouTube over the site’s policy on Covid-19 disinformation, which prompted Brand to move his channel to Rumble. On Tuesday, The Times reported that several other women have since come forward with fresh claims about Brand. One woman, using the fake name Lisa, told the paper the comedian had sung about Soham killer Ian Huntley during a consensual sexual encounter in 2008. Another woman, known as Esme, told The Times that Brand had been threatening and verbally abusive towards her when she refused to have sex with him. In a now deleted YouTube video, Brand can be heard joking about raping a woman during a recording of Richard Herring’s Leicester Square Theatre Podcast in 2013. Before the first allegations were published, Brand posted a video on Friday saying he has been “promiscuous” but that all of his relationships have been “consensual”.
2023-09-19 21:20
Ashwin replaces injured Axar in India World Cup squad
Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin replaced left-arm spinner Axar Patel on Thursday in India's squad for the Cricket World Cup on home soil after he failed to...
2023-09-28 23:52
What Asia's top potato chip maker learned from a huge supply shortage
What happens when Asia's biggest potato chip maker runs out of potatoes? Japanese snack brand Calbee had to learn the hard way.
2023-08-05 08:24
US Expands China Forced-Labor Embargo, Banning Two New Firms
The US expanded a ban on imports from China’s Xinjiang region, placing two more companies on its so-called
2023-06-11 19:18
3 takeaways from Panthers taking 2-0 lead over Hurricanes: Tkachuk plays hero again
The Panthers needed only one overtime instead of five for Matthew Tkachuk to give Florida a 2-0 lead over the Hurricanes in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.After needing 139 minutes, 37 seconds of game time, four overtimes, and five hours, 34 minutes of real-time to show up to Game 1 of the Eastern Con...
2023-05-22 04:20
Fasttoken Set to Be Utilized by Over 100 Game Developers in Web3 Games
İSTANBUL--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov 1, 2023--
2023-11-01 21:47
Jamaican Jackson shapes up for most important days of her life
Shericka Jackson believes she is "definitely" facing the 10 most important days of her life as the Jamaican bids to become only the fourth woman to achieve...
2023-08-17 23:25
Israel far-right minister visits Al-Aqsa compound
Israel's National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir visited the flashpoint Al-Aqsa mosque compound Sunday, a controversial move by the extreme-right politician amid heightened...
2023-05-22 08:45
You Might Like...
Disasters cause $3.8 tn in crop loses over 30 years: FAO
It's raining - or draining? - yen
5 must-see trades to shake up the 2023 NBA Draft
Joe Rogan once apologized for disregarding UFC order during boxing match, fans rally in support
Shohei Ohtani first AL pitcher in nearly 60 years to homer twice, strike out 10, Angels beat ChiSox
IMF expects deal with Argentina in the coming days
Big China Stimulus Isn’t Coming, Former IMF Official Says
Like Matt Canada’s offense, Steelers team plane just can’t get off the ground
