
Winners and losers from the first College Football Playoff rankings in 2023
Who are the winners and losers in the first CFP rankings? Discover which teams are in a good position and who's facing an uphill battle.
2023-11-01 08:17

Stroud throws for 306 yards, two TDs to lead Texans over Steelers 30-6; Pickett leaves with injury
Rookie C
2023-10-02 04:46

Raheem Sterling FIFA 23: How to Complete the Level Up SBC
Raheem Sterling FIFA 23 Level Up SBC is now live in Ultimate Team. Here's how to complete the objective and how to upgrade the item to 95 overall.
2023-07-08 01:29

Is Cely Vazquez OK? Concerns mount as 'Love Island Games' star spends night in hospital
'Love Island Games' Season 1's winner is Jack Fowler and Justine Ndiba
2023-11-21 14:27

The staggering number of days Neymar has spent injured during his career
90min breaks down Neymar's injury history during his senior career after the Brazilian suffered another setback on international duty with Uruguay.
2023-10-20 04:56

Iran's ancient 'wind catchers' beat the heat naturally
Tall, chimney-like towers rise from centuries-old adobe houses in Iran's desert city of Yazd, drawing in a pleasant breeze for residents of one of the...
2023-07-21 10:59

How third-party and independent candidates could threaten Democrats and Republicans in 2024
Over the past week alone, two political outsiders have taken steps to launch independent or third-party presidential bids
2023-10-09 12:18

Recordings shake confidence in Colombia's leftist government, jeopardize reforms
A corruption scandal that has shaken Colombia’s first leftist government and undermined its ability to carry out ambitious reforms has grown following the release of several voice messages featuring the nation’s former ambassador to Venezuela
2023-06-06 06:25

Gilgo Beach murder suspect may have had female accomplice, attorney for victim families says
An attorney representing the families of two women whose bodies were found along the shoreline in Gilgo Beach more than a decade ago has shared his suspicions that newly-arrested suspect Rex Heuermann may have had a female accomplice. A string of murders stumped police in the gated Long Island community of Gilgo Beach for more than a decade. It began in 2010 when 24-year-old Shannan Gilbert vanished after leaving a client’s house and an investigation into her disappearance led authorities to a trail of young women’s remains. Ten bodies, also including an Asian male and a 10-month-old baby, were recovered along a stretch of a remote highway, prompting fears of a serial killer. The case went cold until last year, when Suffolk County police reopened a probe into the grim murders. Last week, an interagency task force arrested 59-year-old Manhattan architect Mr Heuermann, reigniting hopes that the victims’ families might finally be able to obtain justice. Mr Heuermann is only facing charges for the murders of three of the Gilgo Beach murder victims — Amber Costello, Megan Waterman and Melissa Barthelemy. But authorities have revealed they’re confident further charges over the murder of Maureen Brainard-Barnes will stick and haven’t ruled out the possibility that the disgraced architect could become the prime suspect in the other slayings. Attorney John Ray represents the families of Gilbert and Jessica Taylor, whose remains were among those found during the 2010 probe. Mr Ray told The Independent on Tuesday that he has long suspected that a woman may have helped the killer lure the victims. “We have a number of reasons to think a woman may have been involved. Nothing is certain here, [I want] to emphasise that, but there was some evidence that a woman was involved,” Mr Ray said. The attorney said that some of the evidence that could suggest a woman was involved in the killings is the way a “baby Doe’s” body was found. The child’s mother, dubbed “Peaches” for a tattoo on her torso, was found in Nassau County in 1997. Additional remains and those of her child were found years later, and the murders have been linked to the Gilgo Beach case. “The baby was wrapped in a blanket of some kind. And that’s something, you know, if you’re a depraved murderer, as a man ... Would you take the time to do that?” Mr Ray said. “But a mother might do that. That’s just one I use that as one of several reasons why we think that, but we don’t have any dispositive evidence that it was so.” Gilbert’s body was found in December 2011. Suffolk County authorities have previously said that they don’t believe Gilbert was a victim of the Gilgo Beach serial killer, or even that she was a victim of homicide. However, an independent autopsy commissioned by her family ruled that she died by strangulation and her mother believes she was murdered. “We’ve insisted that she was murdered. We have overwhelming evidence that that is true,” Mr Ray said. “The police had taken bizarre position that she died of natural causes.” He added: “We’re hoping now with the new task force with these great guys and new brains and excellent work of the District Attorney and the new Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison. “We’re hoping that they’re going to give it a look, a new look at the evidence with Shannan and investigate it as a murder.” Mr Ray said his clients have welcomed news of the arrest and now hope their loved ones’ killer or killers will also face the criminal system. “Both families are very happy that this man was caught and they’re happy for the other family members of the other victims,” Mr Ray said. “But the murderer of their loved ones has not been found. And even if it turns out to be this Tyrannosaurus Rex monster, there’s no solace in the end. Justice is an idea, but it’s not a feeling in a sense, and their feelings and their senses are still hurt and this resurrected those feelings. So it’s a bittersweet condition.” Mr Ray said that his law firm is joining efforts with the Suffolk County Police Department’s investigating team. Commissioner Harris has said in the aftermath that they’re probing any links Mr Heuermann may have with the Gilgo Beach bodies. On Tuesday, Former NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce told ABC’s Good Morning America that Mr Heuermann is being looked at in connection to missing persons cases and murders far beyond the shores of Long Island – across the tri-state area of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut and even nationwide. Mr Tay also told The Independent that although he had a tip that a breakthrough development would be announced in the case, he was not familiar with Mr Heuermann. “His whole background and purpose and so forth, his lifestyle were all quite surprising,” Mr Ray said. “Much more needs to be known about that now, because here’s a fella who purports to be a successful architect. I doubt very much that he was.” Mr Heuermann is the president of the architecture firm RH Consultants & Associates. On his company website, he boasted about working with the likes of Catholic Charities, NYC-DEP Sewerage Treatment and American Airlines and other major tenants at the JFK International Airport. However, court records obtained by CNN show that Mr Heuermann, who lives in the same modest home where he was brought up in Massapequa Park, has a history of filing personal injury lawsuits claiming to have been hit by vehicles. He also reportedly owes more than $200,000 in taxes to the IRS. “He maintained some kind of an office in Manhattan, you know, dipping in Manhattan doesn’t make you rich,” Mr Ray added. “But here he is an architect and yet his house is filthy and broken down and held up by two-by-fours on the front porch. It’s a striking contrast between, you know, the guy in the suit and tie you see in the picture and his circumstances.” An NYPD official told ABC News that the married father-of-two’s DNA has been entered into a statewide database and that his alleged MO is being compared to other cases across New York state – including those during the period he was allegedly active in Gilgo Beach. Mr Heuermann lived close to Gilgo Beach in Massapequa Park, Long Island, but worked in the heart of Midtown Manhattan where he runs an architecture firm. Some of the victims were last seen alive in the city. Read More Gilgo Beach murders - live: Rex Heuermann lawyer claims police are ignoring ‘stronger’ serial killer suspects JonBenét Ramsey’s brother says he believes her killer has ‘same bio’ as Gilgo Beach murders suspect Gilgo Beach serial killer suspect had one chilling question for officials after his arrest
2023-07-19 03:23

Robot hand with bones, ligaments and tendons 3D printed in world first
Researchers have successfully created a robotic hand with bones, ligaments and tendons using 3D printing for the first time. A team from ETH Zurich in Switzerland were able to accomplish the complex construction using a new technology that combines 3D printing with a laser scanner and feedback mechanism. The method opens up the possibility of building far more complex and durable robots in the future, according to the researchers. “We wouldn’t have been able to make this hand with the fast-curing polyacrylates we’ve been using in 3D printing so far,” said Robert Katzschmann, a professor of robotics at ETH Zurich and leader of the research into the next-generation robotic hand. It marks a breakthrough in both 3D printing – with all the hand’s components printed simultaneously rather than assembled separately – as well as the field of soft robotics, which shuns materials like metal that are typically used to construct robots. “Robots made of soft materials, such as the hand we developed, have advantages over conventional robots made of metal,” said Professor Katzschmann. “Because they’re soft, there is less risk of injury when they work with humans, and they are better suited to handling fragile goods.” Despite significant advances in industrial robots over the last decade, they still pose a considerable risk to humans working alongside them. Earlier this month, a South Korean man was crushed to death by a machine that mistook him for a box of vegetables. The latest soft robotic hand was detailed in a paper, titled ‘Vision-controlled jetting for composite systems and robots’, published in the scientific journal Nature on Wednesday. “Recreating complex structures and functions of natural organisms in a synthetic form is a long-standing goal for humanity,” the paper notes. “Our approach provides an automated, scalable, high-throughput process to manufacture high-resolution, functional multi material systems.” Read More MIT invents self-replicating AI robots Users of iPhones can now check bank balance from Wallet app Battery breakthrough brings ‘unprecedented performance’ to next-gen cells Google issues three-week warning to Gmail account holders
2023-11-16 18:57

US SEC shortens stock disclosure deadline to 5 days
By Douglas Gillison (Reuters) -Wall Street's top regulator on Tuesday said it has tightened the timeline for investors to disclose
2023-10-11 03:27

Max Verstappen beefs up security in preparation for hostile reception in Mexico
Max Verstappen has beefed up his personal security as he prepares for a hostile reception at Red Bull team-mate Sergio Perez’s home race in Mexico. Verstappen was jeered by Perez’s supporters at last weekend’s podium presentation in Austin as the triple world champion celebrated his 15th win of the season. Chants of “Checo, Checo” – in support of Perez – were also audible during the Dutch national anthem. A crowd of nearly 400,000 are expected at the high-altitude Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez over the course of the weekend, with practice starting on Friday and it is understood Verstappen will be flanked by multiple security guards in the paddock. Perez’s fans are unhappy Verstappen did not help the Mexican secure second place in last season’s championship after he ignored a team order at the penultimate round in Brazil. Perez has won only twice this season – his last victory in Azerbaijan on April 30 – with Verstappen racing to his third title in as many years. The paddock in Mexico City has become one of the most manic on the calendar, with drivers mobbed as they make their way from the motorhome to the garage. And Perez is also expected to have a bigger entourage than normal to cover-off his enthusiastic fanbase. Red Bull team principal Christian Horner and the team’s motorsport advisor Dr Helmut Marko will also be accompanied by security guards. Speaking after last weekend’s race in Austin, Horner said: “I don’t think Max is going to get the warmest reception in Mexico, but that is water off a duck’s back to him. “One year you are the villain and the next year you are the hero.” Perez heads into this weekend’s round 206 points behind Verstappen. However, he is 39 points clear of third-placed Lewis Hamilton, who was disqualified from second at the Circuit of the Americas for running an illegal floor on his Mercedes.
2023-10-27 00:50
You Might Like...

'Today' host Hoda Kotb reveals how it feels to be 59 on NBC show, fans say 'you're an inspiration'

Lyft Shares Fall After Posting Slowest Growth Since Pandemic

Gabri Veiga rubbishes Toni Kroos criticism of Saudi Pro League transfer

Abreu homers again to power Astros past Twins 3-2 and into 7th straight ALCS

EU grapples with its African army training dilemma as another coup rocks the continent

New Spurs boss Ange Postecoglou discusses first Harry Kane meeting – ‘nothing earth-shattering’

Autosilicon Releases the World's First 14-Channel Battery Diagnosis IC for Electric Vehicles and Energy Storage Systems

China praises Ukraine talks in Saudi that Russia said were 'doomed to fail'