Hyrra Features the Latest and Most Talked-About Topstories News and Headlines from Around the World.
⎯ 《 Hyrra • Com 》
Jelonch captains France against Uruguay on injury return
Jelonch captains France against Uruguay on injury return
Flanker Anthony Jelonch will captain France in this week's Rugby World Cup game with Uruguay less than seven months after suffering a serious knee injury, head...
2023-09-12 21:21
NATO chief appears likely to stay on as allies struggle to find a replacement for him
NATO chief appears likely to stay on as allies struggle to find a replacement for him
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg seems increasingly likely to have his term at the helm of the world’s biggest security organization extended yet again, as members struggle to agree on another candidate to replace him. Stoltenberg, a former Norwegian prime minister, has been NATO’s top civilian official since 2014. His term was due to expire last year but was extended for a second time to keep a steady hand at the helm after Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022. President Joe Biden and his NATO counterparts are due to choose a successor when they meet for a summit in Vilnius, Lithuania, on July 11-12. No candidate has been proposed publicly, and leaders usually decide by consensus on who should be appointed. Stoltenberg held talks with Biden in Washington on Tuesday. According to a U.S. official familiar with the leaders’ conversations, Biden made clear that he thinks highly of some the possible candidates whose names have been privately floated to succeed him. The official said, however, Biden conveyed to the NATO secretary-general that it’s “becoming increasingly evident that there’s not going to be consensus” among NATO allies on picking a new leader, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the private conversation. Biden made it clear to Stoltenberg that he would welcome him sticking around longer — particularly with no end in sight to the war in Ukraine and challenges to get Sweden approved as a member of the 31-nation alliance. “The president thinks Stoltenberg has done a remarkable job over the past year and a half leading the alliance during Russia’s invasion,” the official said. “He’s also quite comfortable with Stoltenberg hanging on. He thinks he’s been a very effective leader.” The official stopped short of saying that Biden asked Stoltenberg outright to stay on as NATO chief. Asked repeatedly Friday about his future at the helm, Stoltenberg said: “I have nothing more to say about this. I have stated again and again that I don’t seek an extension. I have no other plans than to end my work here, when my tenure ends this fall.” The U.S. official also said that Biden had spoken highly of Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen. NATO is keen to name a woman to the top post, and Denmark’s prime minister was thought to be a favorite after a meeting with Biden earlier this month. But in a televised interview on Thursday, Frederiksen said: “No, I am not on my way to NATO.” She did say that she would back Stoltenberg if he was willing to extend his mandate. German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius also made clear that he would back an extension for Stoltenberg if that became necessary. “If we don’t agree on a candidate for successor, NATO won’t be able to go without a secretary-general, and of course I am for an extension — particularly as I appreciate our cooperation,” he told reporters. Norwegian media said Friday that Biden has encouraged Stoltenberg to stay on. Norwegian public broadcaster NRK said it “had learned” that Biden’s message to Stoltenberg “was not to be misunderstood: Jens Stoltenberg must remain as Secretary General of NATO for a while longer.” The president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, has also ruled out her candidacy. Other possible names that were floated are Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte and U.K. Defense Secretary Ben Wallace. ___ Madhani reported from Washington. Associated Press writers Jan M. Olsen in Copenhagen, Denmark. and Geir Moulson in Berlin contributed to this report. Read More Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide NATO moves to protect undersea pipelines, cables as concern mounts over Russian sabotage threat How significant is the reported recapture of the first Ukrainian villages? Support mounts for Stoltenberg to stay on in NATO's top job
2023-06-16 23:20
What is Jack Ryan’s last mission? John Krasinki makes explosive comeback in Season 4 of action series
What is Jack Ryan’s last mission? John Krasinki makes explosive comeback in Season 4 of action series
Amazon Prime Video will drop two episodes of ‘Jack Ryan’ Season 4 every week starting June 30 with the finale releasing on July 14
2023-06-30 06:46
Worry, relief, despair, pride: Afghans on life two years under the Taliban
Worry, relief, despair, pride: Afghans on life two years under the Taliban
Two years since the Taliban stormed back to power in Afghanistan after 20 years of war against the United States and its allies, life has changed...
2023-08-14 12:15
12th Man Foundation's infusion of cash forecasted Jimbo Fisher firing
12th Man Foundation's infusion of cash forecasted Jimbo Fisher firing
Boosters fund Texas A&M football program firing head coach Jimbo Fisher with a massive buyout after a $160 million donation.
2023-11-14 04:55
California state Senate leader says she will step down from leadership post
California state Senate leader says she will step down from leadership post
The leader of the California Senate says she will step down from her leadership post
2023-08-29 10:48
KKR sells industrial properties worth over $560 million
KKR sells industrial properties worth over $560 million
U.S. private-equity firm KKR said on Monday it has completed the sale of an industrial property portfolio of
2023-10-02 20:15
Problem Child: This Georgia Restaurant Has a $50 Fee for Obnoxious Kids
Problem Child: This Georgia Restaurant Has a $50 Fee for Obnoxious Kids
Children who run amok at Toccoa Riverside Restaurant might earn their parents a fine.
2023-11-02 03:55
Insider Q&A: Artificial intelligence and cybersecurity in military tech
Insider Q&A: Artificial intelligence and cybersecurity in military tech
Josh Lospinoso’s first cybersecurity startup was acquired by Raytheon/Forcepoint
2023-05-29 20:18
Fukushima nuclear disaster: UN watchdog approves plan for water release
Fukushima nuclear disaster: UN watchdog approves plan for water release
Japan's plan to drain radioactive water into the Pacific has been opposed by China and South Korea.
2023-07-04 16:51
White House rejects report claiming Cuba has agreed to host Chinese listening post
White House rejects report claiming Cuba has agreed to host Chinese listening post
A spokesman for the White House National Security Council (NSC) has flatly rejected a report which claimed that China and Cuba have reached an agreement in principle to host a surveillance post. John Kirby appeared on MSNBC shortly after the publication of The Wall Street Journal’s report on Thursday; the report claimed that the cash-strapped Cuban government had accepted an offer by Beijing to set up a listening post on Cuban soil, within range of some US military installations. The article went on to claim that such a listening post could theoretically scoop up communications across much of the southeastern United States. “Officials familiar with the matter said that China has agreed to pay cash-strapped Cuba several billion dollars to allow it to build the eavesdropping station and that the two countries had reached an agreement in principle,” read the report. It continued: “An eavesdropping facility in Cuba, roughly 100 miles from Florida, would allow Chinese intelligence services to scoop up electronic communications throughout the southeastern U.S., where many military bases are located, and monitor U.S. ship traffic.” But Mr Kirby said that the Journal’s assertions were inaccurate when confronted by NBC’s Andrea Mitchell. "China and Cuba have now reached a secret agreement, we’re told, for China to establish an electronic facility which would allow Chinese intelligence agents to scoop up electronic communications throughout the southeastern US,” Mitchell began to Mr Kirby. “I’ve seen that press report, it’s not accurate,” Mr Kirby contended. “What I can tell you is that we have been concerned since day one of this administration about China’s influence activities around the world, certainly in this hemisphere and in this region, we’re watching this very, very closely.” Mitchell tried again: “You’re saying it’s not accurate that they’re planning this?” “I’m saying we’ve seen the report, it’s not accurate,” said Mr Kirby in response. It was a much stronger statement than he himself had made to the Journal initially. The paper quotes him as saying in response to their request for comment, “While I cannot speak to this specific report, we are well aware of – and have spoken many times to – the People’s Republic of China’s efforts to invest in infrastructure around the world that may have military purposes, including in this hemisphere.” “We monitor it closely, take steps to counter it, and remain confident that we are able to meet all our security commitments at home, in the region, and around the world,” he added in that statement. At a news briefing on Thursday, a spokesman for the Pentagon echoed Mr Kirby’s denial. “I’ve seen that reporting, I can tell you, based on the information that we have, that that is not accurate,” said Air Force Brig Gen Pat Ryder. The report’s publication comes at a time of tension between Washington and Beijing, with both sides accusing the other of purposefully inflammatory actions. Some of those actions have included trips to Taiwan by senior US officials, which have enraged the Chinese government as they mark the US’s continued defiance of China’s claims of sovereignty over the island. It also comes as many in the US, particularly on the left, argue that the time has come for an end to the US embargo of Cuba, the socialist nation shunned by the US since the Cold War, when it was firmly allied with the Soviet Union. The decades-long trade prohibition has left Cuba’s economy in a delicate state, and many argue serves no purpose in the modern era. Read More Biden and Sunak to focus on Ukraine and economic security in British PM's first White House visit AP-NORC poll finds both Democrats, Republicans skeptical of US spying practices Alabama senator says Space Command prefers Huntsville for HQ, but command has no comment Rishi Sunak and Joe Biden stress ‘unwavering support’ for Ukraine Sunak announces ‘Atlantic Declaration’ to boost UK-US ties after Biden talks AP-NORC poll finds both Democrats, Republicans skeptical of US spying practices
2023-06-09 05:58
Soccer Aid LIVE: England vs World XI latest build-up starring Gary Neville, Liam Payne, Stormzy and Danny Dyer
Soccer Aid LIVE: England vs World XI latest build-up starring Gary Neville, Liam Payne, Stormzy and Danny Dyer
Soccer Aid is back with England looking for revenge against the World XI after going down on penalties last year. Comedian Lee Mack struck the winning penalty for the World XI, who won the contest for a fourth straight year after a 2-2 over 90 minutes. The biggest charity football match in the world, which raised more than £15 million for charity Unicef last year, brings an added layer of intrigue this year with the new Chelsea manager Mauricio Pochettino back in the dugout ahead of his return to the club game with the Blues. This year’s teams include Gary Neville, Liam Payne, Jill Scott, Sir Mo Farah and Danny Dyer for England. While Mack is joined by Usain Bolt, Tommy Fury, Niko, Roberto Carlos, Francesco Totti and Patrice Evra for the World XI. Follow live updates, reaction and analysis from all the action at Old Trafford below: Read More What time is Soccer Aid 2023? Kick-off for Wembley showpiece between England and World XI Soccer Aid 2023: England and World XI line-ups How to watch Soccer Aid 2023: TV Channel and live stream for Wembley showpiece tonight
2023-06-12 02:29