
RushTok has lost its novelty
It's that time of the year when the (mostly) blonde freshmen at Southern universities embark
2023-08-17 01:16

Police investigate after brick attack on Aston Villa bus after win at Burnley
The Aston Villa team bus was damaged after being attacked on the motorway following the side’s victory at Burnley on Sunday, police have confirmed. A brick was thrown at the windscreen from a footbridge on the M65 in Lancashire as the Villa team began their journey home from Turf Moor. Nobody was hurt but the matter is being investigated by Lancashire Police and Burnley have said they are “saddened and dismayed” by the incident. Superintendent Melita Worswick, of Lancashire Police, said: “This incident occurred when a great deal of traffic was leaving the area following the football match between Burnley and Aston Villa. “It is nothing but good fortune that the brick didn’t cause more damage, or result in somebody being seriously injured or even killed. “We cannot say at this point whether this was a targeted attack but enquiries are ongoing and this will form part of our investigation. “We are now determined to find the person or people responsible and are asking for anyone with information to get in touch.” The incident is a further embarrassment for Burnley after Manchester City’s Rico Lewis was struck by an object thrown from the crowd in the season-opening match at Turf Moor earlier this month. Play was also halted briefly during that game due to a pitch invader. A statement from the club read: “Burnley Football Club are saddened and dismayed to learn about an attack on the Aston Villa team bus at junction 10 of the M65 after today’s match. “Having spoken with Villa we are relieved to hear nobody was hurt in the incident. We strongly condemn this behaviour and will support Lancashire Police in their efforts to find whoever was responsible.” Promoted Burnley were beaten 3-1 by Villa in what was their second Premier League match of the campaign. They are yet to collect a point.
2023-08-28 04:46

Win ‘blows belief into Everton’ after points deduction – Sean Dyche
Sean Dyche said Everton’s 1-0 win at Nottingham Forest has given the club and their fans a big lift after they were docked 10 points for breaching Premier League financial rules. Dwight McNeil struck the only goal in the second half at the City Ground, slamming home his first of the season following Jack Harrison’s far-post cross. It sealed Everton victory in their second match since being handed the punishment and a day after they submitted their formal appeal against the severity of it. Dyche said: “We spoke to the players. They were very open about it. They all agreed they were ready to take it on and they have done so far. “So to get that first win after that news is very pleasing. It blows belief into the fans, into the group, into the players because they still have to look at the league table at some point. “We still have to wait and see what the appeal will bring, so in the meantime we’ve got to get on with business like we are doing.” Everton’s third win in five league games lifted them to within two points of safety, having started the evening kick-off in bottom place after Burnley’s win against Sheffield United. “People are suggesting it’s a good time to get 10 points taken,” Dyche added. “Well if they are, I tell you what, I’ll do a deal. I’ll have their 10 points, they can have the ones we got taken off us and we’ll see where we all end up. “I don’t think it’s quite as simple as that, but the key for us is to not really worry about all the different conjecture, all the stories, all the noise and stay focused on the bit we can control and that’s our performances.” Forest have slipped to three straight league defeats and back-to-back home losses to crank up the pressure on boss Steve Cooper. His side have won just one of their last 10 league games, but they struck a post through substitute Felipe’s second-half effort and created several other chances. Cooper said: “The one real chance they’ve had, he’s taken it really well. The ones we’ve had, we’ve not shown enough of the quality you need at this level to score goals.” Cooper felt his side had a good case for a penalty when Ryan Yates went down under Abdoulaye Doucoure’s challenge from the corner which led to Felipe’s effort. He added: “The other real talking point is the difference in decision-making over penalties, with Doucoure on Yates compared to the one which was given against us last week. “I won’t hide behind the decision with the result – just like I didn’t last week – but if last week was a penalty, then it has to be one today. “We’ve had two very experienced referees in the last two games and they couldn’t be any further away from being consistent in those moments.” Read More Dwight McNeil fires Everton to morale-boosting win at Nottingham Forest Paul Heckingbottom stands by his work as Sheffield United lose again Neal Maupay makes the right impression on his manager Mikel Arteta heaps praise on players as Arsenal pull four points clear at summit Will Jacks looks at positives after England central contract snub Brentford beat Luton with strong second-half show
2023-12-03 05:29

'I can't live what they live': Kostyuk blocks out Ukraine war
Ukraine's Marta Kostyuk admits that she has to block out the heartbreaking images of the war raging at home as she plots her way through the draw at Wimbledon because...
2023-07-06 03:17

Extremely overdue book returned to Massachusetts library 119 years later
A Massachusetts library is celebrating the return of a book more than a century after it was last checked out
2023-07-08 12:30

Residents claim people being ‘robbed at gunpoint’ in Maui amid ‘lack of leadership’
Local residents in Hawaii’s Maui are claiming they are being looted and robbed at gunpoint after catastrophic fires ravaged parts of the island. The wildfires in Maui have become the deadliest in modern US history and have so far led to the deaths of 93 people, apart from widespread devastation of property. And now locals have said they are growing increasingly desperate for effective local leadership to step up and take control of the emergency response amid accusations of an increase in crime. They are annoyed that the leadership has been lax and not really stepping up, leaving residents to rise to the occasion and take reigns into their own hands. As rescue teams traverse the island, delivering essential supplies such as water, food and first aid, reports said locals are now taking matters in their own hands to address the situation. “There’s some police presence. There’s some small military presence, but at night people are being robbed at gunpoint,” Matt Robb, co-owner of a Lahaina bar called The Dirty Monkey was quoted as saying by Business Insider. “I mean, they’re going through houses – and then by day it’s hunky dory. So where is the support? I don’t think our government and our leaders, at this point, know how to handle this or what to do.” People also told KITV4 that residents of West Maui were frequently falling victim to theft, with essential supplies such as food and clothing being targeted. They attributed this to insufficient resources reaching Lahaina. Jeremy Aganos, the owner of Coconut Caboose, a restaurant and food truck business in Lahaina, said he lost his home and barely made it out alive. He said looters attacked his business and that it was “utter chaos” for everyone to try and find the basic essentials like water, food and shelter. Another resident, Barrett Procell, said that he and his wife were now homeless and only wearing donated clothes. Mr Procell, however, added that looters right now were not the enemies. “They are in survival mode.” “When your children and are here starving after almost burning to death and the police won’t let people drive in to give you necessities, you may turn to desperate measures. It is unfortunate people are turning to looting right now, but it’s about helping them and not villainising them,” Mr Procell said. The Maui Police said that no official reports of looting have been filed. Amid calls for more support, a tense situation unfolded recently on 11 August after police officers blocked access to a key motorway leading to Lahaina, spurring a clash between the police and nearly 100 residents, according to a report by the Honolulu Star Register newspaper. Police action reportedly prevented individuals from returning to their homes to retrieve salvageable belongings, resulting in a near-riot scenario. Residents have complained of feeling abandoned by local leadership. “It’s just been really interesting to see how, when you have a full truck of a pallet of water or feminine products or whatever, and you’re trying to help people – that you’re being turned away,” Mr Robb said. “And I think there’s a better way to organise that to be done, I just don’t think it’s been done the correct way. I think it comes down to the lack of leadership and the lack of knowledge of how to handle this.” “I think it’s the mayor’s fault,” co-owner of the Dirty Monkey Alen Aivazian told Insider. “If he would’ve asked, they had Marines, Coast Guards sitting there waiting, ready to go, and he didn’t send them over. Why wouldn’t the feds send them over? The mayor didn’t ask and the governor didn’t push. I mean, what the hell are they doing over there? They’re just hanging out at the beach.” Residents said they are foregoing sleep and establishing neighbourhood patrols to ensure mutual safety and secure vital supplies like clean drinking water and medications. Another Maui resident, Kami Irwin, said, “I had to deal with a situation that wasn’t even part of who I am or what I do.” “I had to talk to pilots that got grounded with our medical supplies who were stuck on the Big Island because the Department of Health stopped them from transporting insulin. And we have people all over the island that need insulin.” “We literally have no idea because we are not hearing answers from anybody,” she said. “We are still left without knowing what to do. And we just got word that they stopped all air and ground transportation to drop more supplies to the west side of Lahaina today.” After visiting “ground zero” of the destruction in Lahaina, Hawaii governor Josh Green said it is clear “there is very little left there”. Read More Before and after satellite images show scale of ferocious Hawaii wildfires How to help victims of Hawaii wildfires Hawaii wildfires: A brief history of natural disasters blighting the tropical paradise
2023-08-14 16:23

Erik ten Hag claims Man Utd fans booing Rasmus Hojlund substitution was 'positive'
Man Utd manager Erik ten Hag has discussed fans booing his decision to replace Rasmus Hojlund with Anthony Martial in their loss to Brighton.
2023-09-17 16:46

Internet dismisses Harvard students' pro-Palestine 'die-in' protest as 'liberals having a temper tantrum'
The two primary organizations behind Wednesday's protest were the Harvard Palestine Solidarity Committee and Harvard Graduate Students for Palestine
2023-10-19 18:50

AI-generated faces now look more real than ever. Can you spot the fake ones?
AI-generated faces of white people now seem more real than actual ones, according to a new study which raises concerns that the technology may be used to fool people. More people thought AI-generated white faces were human than the faces of real people, while the same wasn’t true for the images of people of colour, according to research published recently in the journal Psychological Science. “If white AI faces are consistently perceived as more realistic, this technology could have serious implications for people of colour by ultimately reinforcing racial biases online,” study co-author Amy Dawel from the Australian National University, said. One of the reasons for this discrepancy, according to researchers, is that AI algorithms are being trained disproportionately on white faces. “This problem is already apparent in current AI technologies that are being used to create professional-looking headshots. When used for people of colour, the AI is altering their skin and eye colour to those of white people,” Dr Dawel explained. The study also found that the people who identified AI faces as real were most often confident that their judgements were correct, indicating people may not know they are tricked using such images. This kind of AI “hyper-realism” when misused may lead to people not realising they’re being fooled, scientists warn. While there are still physical differences between AI and human faces, researchers say people tend to misinterpret them. For instance, the study found that white AI faces tend to be more in proportion which people mistake as a sign of humanness. However, we can’t rely on these kinds of physical cues for long, researchers say. With AI technology advancing rapidly, they say the differences between AI and human faces could “disappear soon”. When that happens, scientists warn that it could have serious implications for the proliferation of misinformation and identity theft, urging for action to be taken seriously. “AI technology can’t become sectioned off so only tech companies know what’s going on behind the scenes. There needs to be greater transparency around AI so researchers and civil society can identify issues before they become a major problem,” Dr Dawel said. “Educating people about the perceived realism of AI faces could help make the public appropriately sceptical about the images they’re seeing online,” she added. Read More Trump’s Truth Social warns company may be forced to shut down amid huge losses Solar panel world record smashed with ‘miracle material’ AI among biggest threats to next UK election, cyber security agency warns Trump’s Truth Social warns company may be forced to shut down amid huge losses Solar panel world record smashed with ‘miracle material’ AI among biggest threats to next UK election, cyber security agency warns
2023-11-14 17:29

The Dutch king will deliver a speech at an event on the anniversary of slavery's end in its colonies
Dutch King Willem-Alexander will deliver a speech to commemorate the anniversary of the country abolishing slavery
2023-07-01 16:57

Argentina inflation seen at 142% this year, down from previous poll
BUENOS AIRES Expectations for galloping consumer prices in Argentina remain solidly in triple-digit territory, a monthly analyst poll
2023-07-08 07:26

'Excited, nervous, proud': Olivia Rodrigo can't contain her emotions over new album release
Olivia Rodrigo feels "excited, nervous [and] proud" about the release of her new album, 'GUTS', which is available now.
2023-09-08 15:25
You Might Like...

'Rust' weapons supervisor wants charges dropped in Alec Baldwin shooting

Who is Noelia Voigt? Miss Utah becomes first Venezuelan-American to be crowned Miss USA in 2023 pageant

Adin Ross’ head mod Citrus labeled ‘woman abuser’ in viral video, here’s what we know

Another big name turns down an interview to lead Red Sox front office

The Mexican Caribbean hosted the World Education Congress 2023 for the first time outside the U.S. and Canada

Who is Emily MacDonagh? Peter Andre, 50, open to becoming father for the fifth time with wife, 33

Netherlands Set to Close Europe’s Biggest Gas Field in 2023

Australian competition regulator rejects $3.2 billion ANZ-Suncorp Bank deal