
Special counsel wants Trump election subversion case to begin on January 2, 2024
Federal prosecutors who've brought the 2020 election interference criminal case against Donald Trump are seeking to start to the trial on January 2, 2024, days before the anniversary of the attack on the US Capitol and the Iowa caucuses.
2023-08-11 02:23

Shakira faces $7.1M tax evasion charges after denying $15.4M accusation in past
In an interview last year, Shakira denied the tax evasion charges and expressed her confidence in the justice system
2023-09-27 10:21

Russia airs ‘new interview’ of Black Sea admiral who Ukraine claimed was killed in strike
Russia has published a second clip purporting to show a top naval officer alive and well, after Ukraine claimed he had been killed in a missile strike on the headquarters of Moscow’s Black Sea Fleet in Crimea. Ukraine’s special forces claimed on Monday that the Russian fleet’s commander, admiral Viktor Sokolov, was among 34 officers killed in the huge strike on Sevastopol, which they said had caused irreparable damage to the headquarters building. But the military body backpedalled the following day, saying its units were “clarifying the information” which had been based on open sources, adding that many of those killed in the strike “still have not been identified due to the disparity of body fragments”. Kyiv’s special forces said the clarification came after Moscow was “urgently forced to publish an answer with an apparently alive Sokolov” – a reference to footage published by Russia’s defence ministry showing Mr Sokolov appearing on a video conference call with defence minister Sergei Shoigu. Admiral Sokolov is also seen on a video screen but in a different location, with only a flag seen in the backdrop behind him. He is also not heard speaking in the video. While this appears to be a signal from Moscow that the admiral is still alive, Russia has not released any details to prove when the video conference took place. In a further twist on Wednesday, Russian defence ministry-linked outlet Zvezda published footage it claimed showed Mr Sokolov speaking to reporters while attending an award ceremony for the Chernomorets Black Sea Fleet football team. But doubts were cast over whether the footage was new, given that Mr Sokolov made no reference to the Black Sea attack in his comments. “The Black Sea Fleet confidently and successfully fulfills the tasks assigned to it by the command,” he can be heard saying in the footage, adding that the exploits of Russia’s marines “practically do not appear on the screens of central television”. While Moscow has not commented directly on Mr Solokov’s status, defence ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova claimed on Wednesday that there was “no doubt” the attack was “planned in advance using Western intelligence means, Nato satellite assets and reconnaissance planes”. The strike on annexed Crimea “was implemented upon of the advice of American and British security agencies and in close coordination with them”, Ms Zakharova claimed. Ukraine has previously refrained from directly claiming responsibility for strikes on targets in Crimea and Russia for fear of alienating Western allies concerned that such strikes could allow Moscow to claim them as evidence of Nato-sanctioned escalation. However, Kyiv has become bolder in claiming such attacks as part of its wider counteroffensive efforts in recent months, having increased its use of domestically-produced attack drones to strike targets in Moscow, Belgorod and Crimea. In its earlier update on the Sevastopol strike, Ukraine’s special forces said the air force fired 12 missiles on the Black Sea Fleet headquarters as it targeted areas where personnel, military equipment and weapons were concentrated. Two anti-aircraft missile systems and four Russian artillery units were hit, special forces said. Moscow-installed authorities in Sevastopol, annexed by Russia in 2014, are reported to be taking extra defensive measures in the face of Ukraine’s increased attacks on Crimea in recent days. Sevastopol is a critical region providing a platform from which Russia has launched many of its air attacks on Ukraine in the 19-month-long war. Read More Russia remains silent as Ukraine claims Black Sea Fleet commander among 34 officers killed Putin’s Black Sea fleet commander ‘killed in navy attack’ as Ukraine breakthrough triggers ‘panic’ Russia’s Lavrov rubbishes Ukraine peace plan and warns conflict will be resolved on battlefield Ukraine-Russia war – live: Putin planning new ‘assault units’ despite Moscow’s ‘mobilisation issues’
2023-09-27 22:51

Roberto De Zerbi: Brighton will be ready for fixture pile-up next season
Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi is confident his players will be ready for a first European adventure if they manage to grasp the prize dangling before them. The Seagulls suffered a setback on Thursday evening when they went down 4-1 at Newcastle in the battle of the Premier League’s top-six gatecrashers. However, they return to action against relegated Southampton on Sunday knowing wins in two of their last three games – against the Saints, champions elect Manchester City and Aston Villa – will secure a place in the top six and the rewards that would bring. Reflecting on a bruising evening on Tyneside, De Zerbi said: “We are not used to playing three games in a week and we suffered a lot. “There are many players – for example Moises Caicedo, Pervis [Estupinan] in the first half – they didn’t play well, but I love them. They have to learn to play two games in four days. “Next year we will be better, we will be ready to play every day.” The defeat at St James’ Park came in Brighton’s fourth game in 15 days, a run which includes famous victories over Manchester United and Arsenal, but also a 5-1 home drubbing by Everton. De Zerbi felt he had no option but to leave on-loan Chelsea defender Levi Colwill out of the matchday squad in the north east with Alexis Mac Allister, Julio Enciso and Evan Ferguson starting on the bench. With injuries biting deep into his squad – he was also without Solly March, Adam Lallana, Adam Webster, Joel Veltman, Jakub Moder, Jeremy Sarmiento, Enock Mwepu and Tariq Lamptey – the Italian admitted he had been presented with a selection headache. However, he added: “Yes, but we have to be strong in a difficult period, a tough period. I don’t like making any excuses, but we have eight, nine, I don’t know, I don’t remember how many injuries we have now. “We are playing four games in 12 days. The first XI today, Colwill wasn’t available to play, Mac Allister can’t play 90 minutes today and 90 minutes on Sunday, Welbeck, Buonanotte, Gilmour and Undav the same.” De Zerbi expects to have 20-year-old Colwill, who was rested at Newcastle as a result of fatigue, back in the fold for Sunday’s game. Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live
2023-05-19 18:50

Canelo vs Charlo card: Who else is fighting this weekend?
It will be undisputed vs undisputed in Las Vegas this weekend, as Saul “Canelo” Alvarez defends his super-middleweight belts against Jermell Charlo. Canelo, 33, is looking for a third successful title defence in a row, having outpointed John Ryder in May and old rival Gennady Golovkin 12 months ago. Prior to those victories, the Mexican suffered a points defeat by Dmitry Bivol in a light-heavyweight title fight in May 2022. A week after that bout, Charlo stopped Brian Castano to retain the undisputed super-welterweight titles, after the pair fought to a draw in 2021. Charlo’s twin brother Jermall was expected to box Canelo here, but the WBC middleweight champion’s two-year absence from the ring continues instead. As such, it is the (minute-)younger of the Americans, 33, who will challenge Canelo. Here’s all you need to know. We may earn commission from some of the links in this article, but we never allow this to influence our content. This revenue helps to fund journalism across The Independent. When is the fight? The fight will take place on Saturday 30 September, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The main card is due to begin at 1am BST on Sunday 1 October (5pm PT, 7pm CT, 8pm ET on Saturday). Ring walks for the main event are then expected at 4am BST on Sunday (8pm PT, 10pm CT, 11pm ET on Saturday). How can I watch it? No UK broadcaster has yet been announced for the fight. In the US, it will air on Showtime pay-per-view at a cost of $84.99. If you’re travelling abroad and want to watch the event, you might need a VPN to unblock your streaming app. Our VPN round-up is here to help and includes deals on VPNs in the market. Viewers using a VPN need to make sure that they comply with any local regulations where they are and also with the terms of their service provider. Odds Canelo – 30/100 Charlo – 3/1 Draw – 18/1 Full odds via Betway. • Get all the latest boxing betting sites’ offers Full card (subject to change) Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (C) vs Jermell Charlo (WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF super-middleweight titles) Yordenis Ugas vs Mario Barrios (WBC interim welterweight title) Jesus Alejandro Ramos Jr vs Erickson Lubin (super-welterweight) Elijah Garcia vs Jose Armando Resendiz (middleweight) Frank Sanchez vs Scott Alexander (heavyweight) Gabriel Valenzuela vs Yeis Gabriel Solano (super-lightweight) Terrell Gausha vs KeAndre Leatherwood (middleweight) Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs Isaac Rodrigues (light-heavyweight) Curmel Moton vs Ezequiel Flores (super-featherweight) Justin Viloria vs Angel Barrera (super-featherweight) Bek Nurmaganbet vs Abimbola Osundairo (super-middleweight) Abilkhan Amankul vs Joeshon James (middleweight) Read More The Independent’s pound-for-pound boxing rankings Eddie Hearn: ‘Ask someone to name three people in boxing, they’ll say: Tyson Fury, Anthony Joshua, me’ The hidden side of Jake Paul How to watch Canelo vs Charlo online and on TV What time does Canelo vs Charlo start in UK and US? Amir Khan was never dull – but will he ever be truly loved?
2023-09-27 04:19

Live Updates: World leaders convene for Day 1 of the UN General Assembly high-level meeting
Welcome to the United Nations
2023-09-20 03:19

Teenager Asher Hong takes narrow lead after first day of U.S. men's gymnastics championships
Asher Hong overcame an uncharacteristic fall on the floor exercise to take the lead after the opening round of the U.S. men’s gymnastics championships
2023-08-25 11:17

Will Joe Burrow play tonight? Latest Bengals injury update for MNF
Cincinnati Bengals QB Joe Burrow is listed as questionable ahead of Monday night's Super Bowl LVI rematch against the Los Angeles Rams. Will he play?
2023-09-26 03:25

Ford Restarts EV Truck Plant as Price Cuts Spark More Demand
Ford Motor Co. restarted production of F-150 electric Lightning pickup truck as it bets price cuts will spark
2023-08-01 23:46

Jeff Daniels settled for a pittance while Jim Carrey hit the jackpot for starring in 'Dumb and Dumber'
At that time, Jeff Daniels' team told him not to take on the role as it may hinder his goal to win an Oscar
2023-06-22 16:54

Barbie movie gets Vietnam ban over South China Sea map
A scene in the film features a map depicting China's territorial claims in the disputed South China Sea.
2023-07-03 18:28

Tesla's net income slumped 44% in the 3rd quarter as lower prices ate into the automaker's profits
Tesla has reported that its net income slumped in the third quarter versus a year earlier
2023-10-19 04:48
You Might Like...

Sweden’s Property Crunch Worsens as Another Landlord Cut to Junk

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, visiting Australia, wants closer bilateral defense ties

White House expands war on junk fees to rental housing, unveils new merger guidelines

CORRECTING and REPLACING Clarify Health Launches Generative Artificial Intelligence, Clara

Covalon to Showcase Innovative Solutions at the Prestigious ANCC National Magnet Conference in Chicago

California Drywall Announces Transition to 100% Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)

How Hardeep Singh Nijjar's murder in Canada fuelled tensions with India

Some Country Garden creditors object to debt payment deal - sources